Love is in the Somber Air

(I wrote this years ago, and since it is coming back around… well, I figured someone might enjoy it. Now, bare with it, it is a tad lore grey, Forsaken Father, Daughter Human, Two Strange Humans… Just read, I hope you enjoy. It’ll make sense in the end.)

It was a cold blustery day in Duskwood. The Nightwatchmen and women showed up at the local Tavern to hear the local news, along with the natives. The major of the place said bluntly. “Look, I cannot sugar coat this. We have been through a lot with the towers to our North and well….” The man’s voice goes to a murmur. The large crowd begins to uproar in questions and concern. “ORDER, ORDER.” He slams his gavel on the stand in front of him once. “I WILL HAVE, ORDER!” The entire room goes silent, all eyes on him. John gulps and continues. “There have been reports of the Horde sneaking into our lands and taking up empty buildings and shacks as residences. I requi—” A woman stands up and draws her sword, her name is Deborah. “I will inspect and take a look at this house sir, we do not need trouble even from them. I am a retired Guard and I will make sure if this rumor is true… I will take care of it, or at least report back.” James smiles. “Don’t you have a husband on the Nightwatch?” Philip stands up and salutes. “I will support her if she calls for assistance Major. Right now, my wife and I will see to this is over with, despite it being Love is in the Air.” The pair bow toward the Major. “Fair enough, we have this matter settled. Go on Deb, take care of this rumor for us. Please.” The meeting ends…

A few hours later…

Deb and Philip are at the fences of the Town. “I love you, Dear. I will be back I promise. You will see me again.” Philip grabs Deb and holds her close. “Use the communicators if you need me, I will be the first at your side.” The pair exchange a hug and a loving kiss before Deb sets off, following the road, until coming across a old, worn down house. She draws her blade in her right, and her revolver in the other. She approaches the ragged house and bangs on the door. “Nightwatch! Open up, or I’ll kick the do—.” The door opens and a Human youth opens the door, its Anna. She looks up at the woman. “Woah, woah, no need to have weapons drawn. I live here. Let me get the pap----” Deb interrupts. “Show me the Forsaken!” She hisses. Anna looks confused. “Deaders? Here? Oh! You are mistaken ma’am! I live here with my Dad, please, come sit at the table.”

Anna walks Deb toward the kitchen table, the entire house was decorated for the Love is in the Air event. There is food on the table and two plates. “I’ll get you a plate! Would you like to eat something? I know you Watchpeople work so hard and don’t get much, this is the least I could do.” Anna cooed as she grabs a third plate. “T-Thank you Dear, but I am here looking for a Forsaken.” Anna deadpans and places the plate on the table in front of Deb. “I will get you my Father, maybe he can tell you more about these, Deaders wandering around.” She walk over to the basement door and opens it. “I’ll be back, serve yourself. I’ll eat when Dad gets up here.” Deb blinks and serves herself some potato soup, some of the salad and a few pieces of boar meat.

Anna climbs down the stairs and stands at the bottom. “M-Mister… G-Guest upstairs…” The Forsaken stops his actions, he was working on mending a bed and blanket. “Light be damned, Daughter, can you not keep them at bay?” “ No, no sir! T-They are a Watch-person, I had to l-let them in.” The Forsaken grins and stands up from the bed and blanket. “Well then…” His hoarse voice says as he casts an illusion upon himself. “Let’s see…” He fades into a elderly human male. “Let us see how much they like meeting a family.” The girl’s eyes light up as she grabs the man’s left hand. “Goody! We might have some fun this Holiday!” The Forsaken chuckles. “We may indeed…. Call me James…” She rocks her head in a nod as the two walk up the staircase. She opens the door as a elderly man walks out on a cane. “Ah, we have a guest, thank you Dearie.” He looks at Deb. “Please! Make yourself at home, any friend of Anna is a friend of mine.” Now, this woman isn’t exactly magically tuned so she believes what she sees. “Woah, you aren’t lying… You have your father here… or Grandfather maybe…” Deb said after polishing off a bowl of potato soup. She stands up and heads toward the man. “Deb, pleasure.” She holds her hand out for the man to take. “James Blackheart. Charmed… Please, come with me to the basement, it is quite late and well… I can’t in good judgement let someone such as yourself, Nightwatch or not go back to Town this late at night. You know how this savages are… Please, follow me.” Deb thought nothing of it and followed the man into the basement.

“Now, the game is over. Anna, you know.” The door slams shut and locks. Deb draws her sword. “What is this!?” James grabs the blade and channels fire magic into it, melting the blade clean off. Deb deadpans and staggers to the staircase. “Don’t, do nothing rash!” James lowers his illusion. “I am in a good mood, if you will not resist, I will ensure you are safe…” Deb hangs her head and nods. “Good, follow me…” He leads the woman to the bed and points to it, there are pillows and a blanket… and shackles. “Lay.” Deb doesn’t protest. All of her training for not as she gets shackled to a wall within the reach of a bed. “Do you have a Husband?” Deb hisses. “Screw you… I have one and he will come find and release me.” James cackles. “Oh. my dear… You don’t know how far down the rabbit hole you have gone….” He goes upstairs and leaves the woman to weep.

A few days pass….

Philip grabs his armor and weapons, even packing his flintlock as he walks down the road during daylight. “She has been gone too long.” He thought. He loads the flintlock and dips his sword in poison just for good measure. He walks upon the road watching the others fight back the Dead, the Worgen and Ogres until he reaches the house in question. Still in shambles, but yet, there is a row of hearts above the front door… “Is this, for Love is in the Air?” He mumbles to himself and bangs on the door. “Anyone ho----.” The door opens to the same youth. “Hello! Ah; hello Mist—.” “Anna, who is it Dear?” “I don’t know, Dad. Come down and see!” The Forsaken under the guise walks down from the second story to the first and looks outside the door. “Two in one month? How unusual… Come in, sir please. I am James, this is Anna.” He sits down at the table. “Would you like milk or something to drink? We have all kinds of drink!” James rolls his sapphire eyes. “Yes, we have almost everything alcoholic imaginable. I’m shocked she hasn’t drank it all dry yet.” He laughs. Phil just looks confused for a moment.

“Look, this is the place where my wife was suppose to go. But seeing y—.” “Your wife!?” Anna smiles. “I know where she is!” James deadpans but lets the situation unfold. “Where is she?” Phil asked. “Let me show you!” She stands up from the table and walks over to the basement and opens the door. “She got lost so we let her stay in the basement….” Phil runs to the top of the stairs and…. KICK. He tumbles down the stairs, being K.O’d upon impact at the basement floor. “PHILIP!” Deb shouts… That is all he heard…

An unknown amount of hours pass, the two wake up shackled beside each other. “I missed you, but we aren’t in a good place.” Phil tries to break the chains. “It is useless… I’ve tried and prayed toward the light, whatever is here has us here…” Phil gulps and holds his wife in his arms . “I love you so much, we will get through this…” “I know we will, Phil… Just have faith…” The pair could hear murmuring upstairs.

James asks. “What do we do with them?” Anna smiles. “Give them a holiday they will never forget!” James nods and walks toward the basement door and opens it, he walks downstairs in his normal form. “Welcome to the Dead Man’s Inn. I am the Innkeeper James and Anna is my assistant. We will keep you as comfortable as we can until the end of this Holiday. We will fulfill your requests aside from being unchained and being released. That will happen at the end of the holiday.” Anna follows downstairs and nods, chiming in. “I promise, you two will be stronger for this!” Phil and Deb sigh and rock their heads in a nod. The pair head upstairs.

For the next week and a half, food, drink, even alcohol and more pillows and blankets are within the basement. On the final day of the Holiday. James extends the reach of the chains and sets up a romantic dinner for two in the basement. It was a four course meal with appetizers, main course, desert and a drink of course. Phil and Deb at this point weren’t broken, but were more in love than ever with each other.

“Oh Philip, I love you so much… This isn’t actually the worst Love is in the Air I’ve had… I just can’t believe it took us both being kidnapped and being a prisoner to realize this.” Philip sighs. “I hate to admit it, but you are right… This is one of our better holidays. No family to deal with, no drama, just two people feeding us and making sure we are well…” Anna opens the basement door and heads down the staircase, holding two wine glasses. “Dalaran Red, chilled. Consider it our apology for taking you both… If you both come back and arrest us I understand.”

Deb looks at Philip, Philip looks at Deb. “You know what?” Philip says. “Some wine sounds wonderful right now… Please Anna, come here and let us drink to this wonderful holiday.” Anna walks over and lets the glasses be taken from her. “Till death do you part, right?” Anna asks. Phil and Deb look at each other. “Till death do us part.” They both drink from the wine glass and place it on the mattress and retire….

The next morning, James walks into the basement. The couple holding and cuddling each other in the night. Dead stiff, they were happy however with the smiles upon their faces. They were honestly happy. It may have taken to the brink of insanity but they are happy in the end…

Love is in the Air… No matter who you are.

4 Likes

I appreciate the effort put into this, but the Story Forums are for discussing the story of the game (past or potential), while I feel these sorts of personal short stories are better suited to World’s End Tavern.

3 Likes

requesting lock in that case.

Magnificent.

1 Like

Thank all of you who liked the story.