Lost vessels from visions because I'm a healer?

I just got back into the game after a year plus, so I’m reading all the guides, do all the wqs to get my ilvl up to 420, and I am just trying to do the quests and as a disc preist I still cannot get the rank 2 cloak. I wasted 3 vessels trying.

There is no indication at all the difficulty or ilvl requirements and I couldn’t get a single player from my guild or chat to help and now I feel like I wasted all of my efforts.

I have to play shadow to have any chance? I’ve never played shadow why should I have to now? This is nonsense

While that is certainly annoying, there’s nothing Blizzard can do about that.

I’d check out the class guide on Wowhead. Keep working on gearing up too.

5 Likes

How you choose to approach a horrific vision is entirely up to you. Back in February, there was a tuning primarily with solo healers in mind. I’m not sure if there have been any since then.

Unfortunately for the social issue, the best I can suggest is keep trying or find a new guild to help. Blizzard won’t force social situations.

Further advice would probably be better sought in your class forum.

6 Likes

I would also work on pushing that iLevel higher. I think you can get to what, 450 now via WQ? Been a bit so j don’t remember, but pretty sure 420 is kind of low now.

That’s half of my point, as a returning player, there is no indication that I’m wasting my vessel attempting it.

It should say ‘you are below the recommended ilvl, proceed?’

420 is extremely low emissaries give up to 445

That’s somewhat you need to do as you work through the visions. The better you do out in the world, raids and such, the better you do in visions. The visions is sort of affected by your time outside.

1 Like

Think of visions as similar to mage tower. The better your gear, the better/easier your run.

3 Likes

Sorry I have no point of reference. When I was playing j was severely over geared so I am not the best to compare to, sorry.

The first few though all you have to do is go in and kill the leader right by the beginning. Nothing more, unless it changed. I think first 6?

My issue as a disc preist was that my dps was too low so I lost sanity before I could kill the one boss

Looking at the reality of wq’s and imagine and emissaries giving 445 loot, your probably want to set that as your hearing goal. Your essences are probably out of date or not optimized.

The rank 1 cloak is awarded from attempting the vision, regardless of success or failure. That is your indication that you’re wasting your vessel on attempts that require success. If you couldn’t kill the boss on the first one, you may need to get more gear to do it for subsequent runs. The game literally gives you the opportunity to see it without consequence so you can plan ahead.

1 Like

The game explicitly told you that you were consuming a vessel upon starting each vision, the fact that you used multiple vessels and never accepted the possibility that you were ill prepared is, unfortunately, your own fault.

Your gear is extremely low, your azerite trait choices are poor, two of your Azerite pieces are blue so you’re missing out on 2 traits, you have 2/4 essences and both of which are not good ones and only at Rank 1. Your trinkets are bad even by World Quest standards, and your weapon is not enchanted (not that I recommend doing so for a 425). You also appear to be at net 35 Corruption which means you are likely either losing DPS moving out of Eyes (in addition to all of the other mechanics) or likely healing yourself even as Disc. I’m not trying to dig into you, just explain the many disadvantages you have.

Visions, like most forms of solo PvE content, are designed first and foremost for damage dealers. Even if you were shadow, your current gear is so bad that I would be hesitant to step foot in a vision. I’ve done the Cloak quest on almost 30 characters, and I don’t even touch them until at least 430 or 440 (but in fairness, I also start doing side objectives beginning on my second run to get the most efficiency out of each run that I can).

You need to be taking advantage of more sources of player power and stockpiling your currency until you can comfortably tackle Visions. Note that even once you reach the point that you can satisfy the run’s minimum requirements, not clearing as much of each vision that you can in each run will put you farther behind your Titan Research that will ultimately make it even more challenging to complete the minimum objectives later on. It is in your best interest to get more gear before attempting them further. While you are likely to experience some success as disc, Shadow will ultimately get you farther, faster.

Having said all of that, I have to check: Did you do your Titan Research? You should have 3 charges of an ability in the form of a special action button that allow you to reset your sanity and take a breather between pulls (and you can use it, and pull more while you sit in it). You should be engaging Thrall or Alleria with 100% sanity, which should give you plenty of time to kill them even at excessively low gear levels.

I would also recommend buying Ghastly Goulash and eating that before each run, it restores 2% health a second for the entire duration of the Vision which will allow you to spend less time recovering and more time doing damage.

3 Likes

That free vision was your warning. I did all of my priests visions as disc solo. It’s not that hard until you start getting to 5 mask and accidentally pull too many stun mobs.

Visions are supposed to be challenging-ish solo/small group content. They weren’t designed to be one-shot by a player coming in with no knowledge, and no gear.

1. Improve your knowledge
  2. Improve your gear
  3. Succeed

You were savvy enough to come to the forms for help. You can certainly go one step further and google a guide. I bet the Priest forums are full of useful, Disc specific tips as well.

1 Like

In 8.3 it can be hard to give someone advice without overwhelming them. There’s a lot of systems going on right now. It’s exhausting coming back to or getting into it the first time, so you might do better with a few smaller goals outside of getting all the gear and all the everything else to make it work as disc.

To answer your initial question, no, you should not be doing it as shadow right now. At low ilvl, they run better as disc; at high ilvl they run better as shadow. Both are viable at all ilvls. You’re fine as disc.

You have four essence slots, but only two of them matter for visions. Your major will be crucible of flame, which you can rank up by doing the quests you get at Heart of Azeroth levels 54 and 60. Your neck is 58 so you’re already eligible for the first quest and you’re two levels away from the second. These quests are available in the Chamber of Heart in Silithus.

The second essence you’ll be using is Vision of perfection, which drops from Mechagon - Workshop on heroic. You only need the first rank of this to go in a minor slot.

Your third and fourth essence slot can be whatever you have, but there aren’t any other essences that will have a large impact on solo visions like the two above.

What vision of perfection does is reduce the cooldown on mindbender. This is a talent in the level 45 row that you should be taking instead of Power Word: Solace, and you should be using mindbender whenever it’s available as a DPS cooldown.

There’s a lot more to running it as disc than two essences, but I think just grabbing both of these and changing a talent should at the very least see some positive progress on how well the boss goes.

This is so true! I have a lot of my old buddies coming back to the game right now and they are so confused. It’s honestly just easier carrying them through each week than it is convincing them to learn the visions lol

Hey I’m sorry this happened to you.

As someone who also just got back into the game, let me save you a lot of frustration - tooltips and information in the game is very sparse, in general. If you put in a ticket you’re often referred to third party sites like wowhead which don’t have complete information in many cases - and the comments section on wowhead often doesn’t have helpful information. Even googling things sometimes returns nothing useful.

I’m guessing the lack of info on 3rd party sites is a natural effect of fewer people playing the game than used to.

it sucks but I feel like knowing this helps take some of the sting out.

With how scaling works Visions are generally a lot easier for healer, especially as a healer like Disc that can do decent damage.

The early cloak ranks you just kill Thrall and that’s it, they eventually have you move to clearing a single wing or two. If you’re dying to just Thrall then Shadow won’t be any better, I would recommend looking at Wowheads guide or a Youtube video. Getting some more ilvl wouldn’t hurt either as 420 is pretty low.

So I’ll be the first to admit that I know exactly squat about Priest or any of its different specs, but I know that as a Druid despite my tank spec having ridiculously better gear I always switch to heal spec specifically for visions. A nerf a couple months ago made it so that solo healers in visions fight mobs with roughly 50% less health. Things just fall over as a healer in there.

I assume it’d be the same, if not better, for the spec which is quite literally the one that does damage in order to heal?