Lost Jewelcrafting progress when I learned Cataclysm Jewelcrafting

I was maybe 40 something in Jewelcrafting then when I bought Cataclysm Jewelcrafting from the trainer I went down to 1 and it now says “Cataclysm Jewelcrafting” on my bar. What gives? And how do I “unlearn” Cataclysm so that I can go back to what I was doing before?

If you look at the UI, the top “skill” is always the latest expansion you’ve learned, but the others are still available and visible. Just not the display default.

You don’t, but it in no way prevents you from continuing to level up basic Jewelcrafting.

2 Likes

Thanks okay I can roll with that, but how does that explain my jewelcrafting level dropping back down to 1…?

With the launch of BFA, professions were broken up from a single 1-800 point leveling system into a tier (i.e. expansion) based system. Vanilla professions are 1-300 points, BC/WotLK/Cata professions are each 1-75, Mists/Wod/Legion professions are each 1-100 and so on. So right now, you should have a vanilla jewelcrafting skill of 40/300 and a Cataclysm jewelcrafting skill of 1/75, and you were able to skip leveling BC/WotLK jewelcrafting.

2 Likes

As I said, the “summary” display shows your skill level in the highest expansion you have unlocked. You trained Cata JC but took no training in it, so the summary displays “Cataclysm 1/75”. Your basic (“vanilla”) JC skill is still 40/300 but is only displayed if you open the Jewelcrafting UI.

You have lost nothing other than displaying the lower JC xpac level as default.

Ohhhhhh I didn’t know about the expansion based system that makes so much more sense. I’ll just skip over all this and wait to train in BfA jewelcrafting then. Thank you both so much for the responses!

I believe you will still want to hit 75/300 vanilla jewelcrafting in order to unlock the darkmoon faire quests that reward a +5 skill bonus (once a month) to your highest profession tier that has not been capped yet.

1 Like