Lore Q&A and Character Help 4

My character is someone who likes to cause pain to others, is completely emotionless and devoid of empathy. Her problem is that she doesn’t want to be this way, she wants to be “good”. So she suppresses all these feelings, her true nature.

She becomes a priest to guide herself in the right direction, the Light acting as a sort of “medication” for her feelings. But my question is, being a priest and being the way that she is, would the Void be drawn to her? Would it try to coerce this dark side out of her, so that it would take complete control?

The Void will target anyone and everyone they possibly can, but are definitely more drawn to priests than anything. I suppose the better question is whether you want your character to hear whispers and be coerced. If so, it would make perfect sense in the lore for that to happen. If not, that’d make equal sense. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! Also just a bonus question that I was a bit curious about, in lore, is Dalaran still at the Broken Isles?

As far as we know, yes it is.

1 Like

I’m just starting to get into my Highmountain Tauren, and I’m trying to write her up a backstory, and I’m curious on their ages. And would it be appropriate to have her be oblivious to the outside world as she’s been in Highmountain her whole life?

Yes very much so. While I don’t have specifics on how long Highmountain live I’d say a normal 80ish span would still put her young enough to not know about the outside world until it comes to the isles.

The Broken Isles themselves have been around since the first sundering correct? That is 10,000 years ago. No living Highmountain is that old.

" Cairne Bloodhoof was described as an extremely old tauren, and though his eyesight was waning on distant details, he was still a powerful warrior at the time of his death. During the Third War, Cairne was 99 years of age, which would place him at 106 or 107 at death. Jevan Grimtotem is also around the same age. Both are noted to only have some slight gray in their fur."

That tidbit is from a citation on the Lifespans Wowpedia page.

Also, according to Loreology on Twitter, Tauren reach venerable old age at 110, so they presumably can live at least a little longer than that.

I don’t think a Highmountain’s magic antlers make them live longer, so those ages should hold up.

As for being oblivious, I agree with Doseki here.

Thanks, looking forward to getting her going =)

What is a good class for Nightborne? I’m stuck between Warlock, Mage, Priest and Rogue =(, I’m not concerned with how OP the class is, just how well it matches the theme of the race. (OK, maybe a LITTLE teeny bit of OPness is OK…)

Lore-wise, of those four and in my personal opinion, I’d have to say Mage is easily the most thematic, followed by Rogue, Warlock and Priest.

Arcane is a huge part of nightborne culture so mage is an easy first. Rogues I’d say come in second, due to the prominence of spies during the Nightfallen rebellion, there’s likely a lot still left over. Warlocks due to the possibility of ex-Felsworn looking for atonement, or a surge in interest in fel magic after the invasion of nightborne wishing to understand it. Priests come in last, as we don’t even know if the nightborne still revere Elune or not, or any idea where their Light abilities specifically come from or their relation to it.

3 Likes

Thanks, looks like I may do mage or rogue.

Compared to other Trolls, Paladin is their unique asset.

If an Orc was born of two clans, eg. A Blackrock mother and a Frostwolf Father, which clan would the child be raised in? The mothers or the fathers?

Thanks in advance.

Great question! Unfortunately, I’m not personally aware of any canonical examples of this happening or any lore regarding how it’d be treated.

My guess, basing it mostly off the friendship dynamic and cultural response we saw with Durotan the Frostwolf and Orgrim the Blackrock, public approval likely wouldn’t be too high. Orcs, at least back on Draenor, valued their own clan over cross-clan friendships or commitments. How this would work in an intimate relationship bearing a child, I’m not sure. Instincts tell me the mother would likely get to decide, and depending on her own personality, that could go either way. She could opt to keep the child to her own clan, or give it up to its father instead.

Alternatively, both could leave their own clans to raise their child on their own, or the mother or father could possibly join the other’s clan. It’s a really situationally dependent situation, and you can justify just about any decision due to the vagueness of orcish definitions of what the “honorable” thing to do is.

In modern days, the orcish clans still part of the Horde have largely dropped their individual identities in favor of a more widespread amalgamation of orcish culture and tradition. This isn’t always the case as we see with the Frostwolves, and saw with the Dragonmaw and Warsong, but it was noted specifically in the Ultimate Vision Guide, so it seems to at least be common. If we consider how many orcs we’ve quested with over the years with no discernible clan affiliation, it starts to seem more apparent.

Based on this, modern-day orcs of two clans having children likely wouldn’t be considered as strange, since the child would be raised in the same traditions as most other orcs to begin with.

You’ve got a lot to wiggle room to do what you like here.

2 Likes

Just going to build off what Cannibal said a bit, but it would likely depend on the circumstances. The clans live rather distinctly from each other as far as geographic locations. It seems like the best guess would be what clan they were primarily living with. So if there is a Blackrock Mother and Frostwolf Father and they live in Gorgrond, might make more sense they’d go with the Blackrock heritage.

And as noted, if they’re living by themselves, it would be their decision. Ultimately it is their decision anyway, but pragmatism would probably weigh in.

1 Like

I just wanted to weigh in here with what I feel is an even better example.

There’s the young orc couple in Frostfire Ridge that is part of one of the Draenor treasures. They tried eloping from their clans as they wouldn’t approve of the union.

2 Likes

Here is a quick random question. Does spray paint exist in lore? Or could it? I know we see other stuff that uses spray like bug spray, cologne, perfume, etc. So based on this could we assume that spray paint is a thing, or could be?

There’s a paint gun in the game, so I feel like spray paint definitely wouldn’t be too farfetched.

1 Like

Ooo, good catch. I totally forgot about those two.

Yep! Though it’s called a Paintinator. Seems to launch paint globs more than actually spray it, but I’m sure a few tweaks could result in what you’re looking for.

ht tps://wow.gamepedia.com/Paintinator

2 Likes

So I can’t say this is a character question, but I figure since this is also a “Lore Q&A” I can pick you guys’s brains about this.

What is the deal with Ahn’Qiraj? Chronicles states that it was the titan facility that held C’thun prisoner. This checks out for me. But what really confuses me is the visuals of it. The city looks an awful lot like the Black Empire picture in Chronicles Vol. 1, as well as other media portrayals of the Black Empire, and strikes little resemblance to titan structures.

So I’m just wondering if Ahn’qiraj was changed by the forces of C’thun after the fall of the keepers to look like their old empire? Or does it just happen to be a bit different looking to the other facilities and Uldum, which does look a bit closer, is meant to be that bridge between the two looks?

I figure this is a case of messy retcons and that vanilla’s lore and art is a lot more different to the lore and art nowadays, but I just figured I’d see if there’s a proper explanation.

While I’m at it, how come Uldir is so similar to troll architecture?