Loot Trading Encourages More Ninja Looting

On no surface whatsoever does it look like a solution of any kind toward ninja looting.

10 Likes

Some solid points. Has it been officially confirmed that loot trading is going to be the system in Classic? It rings a beel, like I feel like I read one of the devs saying that it definitely is going to be the system—when they were giving examples of so called qol changes that will make it into classic—but ive also been reading so much lately that its hazy. Also, you gave some examples that are pretty out there, have you ever really been extorted by nerarious pals? Be honest. Becsuse I feel like their reasoning might be to encourage a considerate community thats ready to be like “oh you want that? Youre farming it? No problem! Im grinding and planning on running it again anyway, because this is classic and we’re all just doing our best to survive.” Where as in retail its so easy to feel like “quack you! Get back in lfg and get a different thing thats just as good because everything is so quacking evenly leveled that it almost doesnt matter! #saturatedwithtoomuchcontent

The attitude of players from 2004 to today has changed. If there is an exploit, some players will use it to their advantage, even if it means burning other players. I don’t think this exploit would be that common, but with HoJ runs in BRD, this would be disastrous. I don’t want this un-Classic exploit in the game.

And it seems sharding on launch along with loot trading are still not set in stone, but as players, it’s imperative we make sure they hear us.

And no, I’ve never been a victim of ninja looting with the old system back in Classic, and on undocumented servers. I do believe loot trading would make it more common.

1 Like

Loot trading will be put in the game for a very good reason. It will be there for raiders. Back in the day, the GMs would get bombarded with requests to swap loot from raiders because the master looter either gave it to the wrong player, or gave it to them before they calculated if they had enough DKP for it, etc.

From my understanding, once classic is launched, it will have a very minimal upkeep and moderation staff. They can’t spend all their time swapping gear for people.

Loot trading will be here to stay. Get over it.

2 Likes

That fault lies with the Master Looter in your raid for being incompetent.

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think adding loot trading to the game’s entire loot system is a good idea. Bind on Pickup exists for a reason. If it HAS to exist because Raid Leader’s are too stupid to give the right gear out, so be it, but don’t let dungeons suffer for it too.

5 Likes

Yes, that came up in either the BlizzCon panel or the interview/Q&A before. You can find the links to both in the stickied thread:

The likely reason is Blizzard’s changes to the entire customer support structure, trying to maximize the situations in which players can resolve problems by themselves as opposed to needing a GM to handle it.

1 Like

When groups are charging you money on items you rolled for and/or using their statistical advantage to roll for the items you need, you’ll regret advocating for this.

This is just going to create more situations that require GM intervention.

8 Likes

It really will not as long as we don’t have Xrealms.

The loot trading system in modern WoW works only because of personal loot. It would be a disaster with the old loot system. Bind on Pickup was integral to the game’s dungeon/raid drops. This shouldn’t even be a debate.

3 Likes

It’s still BOP for the group, it’s not like you can go out and sell it on the AH, the sky is NOT falling.

In a community this is a non-factor. Maybe a little more ninja-ing? Maybe? But it’s not like you’re going to see people getting screwed on loot left and right.

I mean a rogue rolling on mail/plate/2H to “sneak” to his friend is still a ninja.

The falsehood of this is none of those situations “require GM intervention”. Players can throw all the tantrums they want about not winning the loot they want, but opening tickets because one lost a loot roll is a waste of time (and part of why Blizzard changed up their support system so much). GMs will not intervene.

If someone lost a loot roll, filing a ticket will accomplish absolutely nothing. That was true in vanilla, it is true in Retail. (The only time GMs stepped in were when the WINNER of the loot roll filed a ticket to move the item to another eligible player, or a Blizzard-defined scam occurred.)

I get it. I do. People want to maximize their individual odds of winning loot. (The sadly humorous thing here is that those same people don’t like anything that lets others maximize their individual odds. Fairness is only supposed to be balanced in their favor.)

1 Like

I think you’re grossly underestimating how often this happened. It’s been a while, but I remember reading somewhere that it was their 2nd most common reason for requesting GM help (being stuck somewhere was #1, and we got a button to fix that later on). I’m also fairly sure that loot trading is an all or nothing venture. It would take considerable coding to make it only work in raids.

I find it amazing some people think this is just a figment of our imagination. As if it never happened in WotLK.

Keep this topic in discussion, friend! You are not the only one who feels loot trading is a terrible idea for Classic.

6 Likes

The fact it won’t accomplish anything won’t keep players from filling out those tickets. And the person you quoted is correct: loot trading will increase the number of tickets made, not decrease them.

But set aside tickets for a moment, and just consider the gameplay implication. The OP is right: the system encourages coordinated ninja looting. If a couple friends invite a random stranger or two for a dungeon that stranger’s chance of getting loot is greatly reduced. Then there will be all the shady things where people roll on gear they don’t need, and then hold the group hostage. Demand gold, throw a tantrum if they’re on the other end of the spectrum. As long as the chance exists that they can get traded that item, then their behavior will linger and last until the matter is settled. Whereas without loot trading they accept it and move on.

As someone else said…the system works in Current WoW because of personal loot. Let’s put it like this: what’s the point in adding loot trading? According to Ion it’s to cut back the number of tickets made from people accidentally rolling on gear. Please…how often did that happen? So incredibly rare. Just put a verification ‘Looting this will bind it to you’ prompt, and no more loot trading needed.

6 Likes

This topic has been beaten to death in several other threads, but here is what doesn’t get enough attention:

I’m not looking forward to being harassed for items I have won legitimately. Whispers from players begging and pleading for items, and when the winner puts their foot down, toxicity erupts from one or both players.

There’s just way too many cons, but this one has unnecessary toxicity written all over it.

5 Likes

Exactly! And this is why Bind of Pickup exists in the game. Trading gear creates so many negative social scenarios. I think making sure the individual can’t be cheated by a group is more important than making sure incompetent raid leads don’t accidentally give the wrong loot to people.

4 Likes

I will repeat a suggestion made several times before.

IMO, ANY need roll should bind that item to the winner and make that item untradeable. This should apply to every item, whether it is BOP, BOE or bind on use like a pet, mount or recipe.

This would go a long way toward eliminating exploitation of the loot trading system.

2 Likes

Sir, I’m placing you under arrest for making sense and using your brain. That’s not allowed here on the Forums. :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t recall a single instance where someone was assigned the wrong piece of gear during a raid. Tantrums, yes, because people felt they deserved a piece more. But not accidental loot assignment.

Look, I get both points here, but I’m going to err on the side of the developers and give people and the community the benefit of the doubt. If players gang up on me to try and ninja an item or extort it from me, I’ll put in a bad rap on our server’s forum and move on.

The system is being implemented, not because the devs want to change classic but because they want the community to have a better experience - and that means freeing up resources at their end. :slight_smile:

That’s honestly a genius solution.

All of this fuss because Blizzard thinks it means less tickets. I hope this is the solution we get.

1 Like