Looking to become a priest

Hello all. Im thinking of creating a priest. Actually wanna heal and im on the fence about a priest or paladin. How hard is the disc priest loadout for a guy whose never really healed before?

And what are some races that make good lookin priests? Im not a elf fan lolol so im gonna rule them out. I could always make a class trial and see myself but wanted to read your guys thoughts!

Very. Disc is not an intro healer really. Though neither is Paladin.

Both are heavily tied to their cooldowns and triage healing (as in - being OK with healing one target at a time and knowing when people need heals vs when you can passively sustain). They also both lack a ton of buttons to fix when you or your group makes a big mistake. They’re very good healers when you get a hang of them, but early on you’re likely to struggle.

4 Likes

If you want to start learning to heal Disc is probably not your best bet. Holy is fine, though.

1 Like

If this is the first you’ll be healing end game in WoW I’d recommend a Shaman, Holy priest is easy enough too but you don’t get as many bells and whistles as a shaman

1 Like

I had thought about a shaman too. Both dps specs seem interesting too. Also ran a dungeon with one earlier and tbey looked really cool

The thing thats unique imo about pally and priest is that they both work by dealing damage to things to heal. Pally has an easy but really awesome toolkit imo but can be difficult because you have to dodge more things as melee. Disc can be pretty complex if you want to play the spec to its full potential but you get to be ranged. Although it all really depends on if you’re raiding, pvping, or want to push m+. Imo you just go shaman if you haven’t healed because its pretty straightforward and really strong.

The nice part about priests is that you get two healing specs to try and sometimes if you grow bored or just want to change it up some, you can change.

1 Like

Well since your avatar is an orc…You should play Orc priest?

Disc is…not easy for beginner healers. Expect at least a month of fail and suffering before you get the hang of it.

You want to learn how to heal on a few different healers before you go disc priest. You probably also want to roll a holy priest to start. I’d also learn some ranged dps classes as well. Disc priest is a healer/ranged dpser.

There you go.

Oh, one more thing. If you want to learn disc priest do this: Get all BOA gear and enchant it. Then run dungeons from level 10 right to 60. This is after you have done the above though.

Just my two cents. Good luck.

Disc is very difficult and not beginner friendly. You have to know and understand mechanics of dungeons and raids better than you typically do, and have to play proactively (before damage kicks in) rather reactive (after damage kicks in).

On the bright side, if you want to play Disc later you have holy to learn from first. But I also recommend going Shaman as others said.

Undead is best race for priest. And any other class for that matter.

1 Like

Really?! Huh. I guess everyone not rolling undead toons is wrong. Oh, wait. That can’t be! Hmm… Okay, sir. In your infinite wisdom, can you explain why? It surely is more than their good looks…

1 Like

They used to be the best for pvp for Horde…long ago…in Classic/Burning crusade.

…But Now a day, they are the only race that look…masculine humanoid like. Zandalari troll looks good too but Undead are the original Rock & Roll.

Disc is arguably the hardest healer to learn in the game, especially since you have to coincide ur cooldowns with burst damage BEFORE it happens.
If you wanna heal on priest, go holy, though it really needs buffs atm.

If ur new to healing, resto druid would probably be the easiest to learn or resto shaman, though you’ll likely have a harsher learning curve with mana as sham.

To answer ur original question, Hpal is much easier in comparison to disc imo, and if you go kyrian you can easily cheese talent builds (glimmer of light, specifically) and pulls.

Either healer is competitive, but hpal will definitely be easier. I’m not a fan of “don’t pick disc for your first healer,” pick the play style you want to invest time in learning.

Disc is going to require you to learn mechanics much more thoroughly and pay real close attention to timers to get ahead of damage with rapture or barrier, where as hpal will be able to reactively heal much easier.

This is my first season maiming disc and it’s been really hard, but timing a new key or downing a new raid boss has felt far more rewarding. Keys above 10 have been really rough to pug too.

Disc and hPal are similarly as capable, pick what seems like the most mechanically fun.

2 Likes

While disc can be challenging I don’t think it’s impossible. Disc was my first healer and I didn’t start until bfa. Never did any end game content until now either. If my stupid Butt can get it anyone can. Join the discord ask questions. Learn the logs. Watch the videos lol. And vuhdo will become your best friend lol

1 Like

Wrong expansion bud. You just gonna get face rolled by riptide and rejuvenation, Blizzard has a real hard on for shamans this xpac.

Yes. Cannibalism.

1 Like

I raise you the Mole Machine and glowing beard

Lot of people still spreading the misinfo that disc and atonement healing is hard…it isn’t. Get DBM timers and pay attention to when high damage is coming. Make sure atonement is up, this is mostly done via shield the tank/yourself and Radiance the rest, and then spam your smite with MB and Penance on CD.

It isn’t hard to learn, pick up or manage and anyone telling you otherwise has bought into the silly mentality that spamming a DPS rotation is somehow more difficult than managing 15 healing spells of varying strengths and CDs many of which are situational at best and having to make the most of it.

I’ve played disc every expansion since BC, skipping Panda land, with every change they have done nothing but dumb the spec down and ppl want to believe it is difficult now because you no longer. 1 button spam shield like we did in WoTLK but this would be like saying BM is the most skilled DPS spec because they no longer have their BC 1 button DPS macro.

1 Like