Long time player: first time pvping. Hit 1800 CR on RBGs. Never again

So I just hit 1800 CR and am not looking to do it ever again. There’s just so much toxicity and metagaming that I can’t handle.
Like, out of a total 37 class specializations in the game I saw only… 15?
And I won’t deny that groups composition doesn’t matter. It does for sure. But I didn’t expect this much of tryhardism in such a low bracket. I was expecting it on 2100+.

Just wanted to share this feedback. Thanks for reading.

8 Likes

You main a Holy Paladin. How has the meta affected you negatively? Lol

That’s because you’re running with randoms. If you’re forming a group with people you don’t know, why would you take a spec that isn’t the best (especially when you don’t even know how skilled the player is)

You want a less toxic environment that doesn’t revolve around meta specs? Join a guild with people you know can play their spec

1 Like

Am I supposed to only be able to discuss things that affect me directly?
How many friends I couldn’t take with me to RBGs because of the meta?

I can’t. My realm is dead

2 Likes

There’s an easy way to fix that problem

If you have multiple friends wanting to RBG, then start a group with them? Generally speaking, that’s the best way to push into higher rating anyway.

1 Like

You are assuming that I have a perfect composition of tank, healers and DPS to create our own group of RBG.
Are you gonna try to guess my reality every time that I reply with something that you don’t agree with?

2 Likes

A tool exists within the game that allows you to efficiently fill missing roles for the people you don’t have. Now get out there and have fun with your friends, you silly goose.

1 Like

That doesn’t change the fact that just because the RBG meta and its selfpraise culture don’t affect me, I can’t talk about how it is bad for the majority of other players.
I don’t understand why (quoting you) you even bother talking about it if it doesn’t affect you as well. Are you a developer trying to prove that your work doesn’t need changes or something?

I mean I do think the meta thing is a bit out of control. It feels like every comp wants:
1 tank
DH/Guardian tank for obvious reasons (and I think Guardian is by far better and it’s not even close).
6 DPS and they have to have at least:
Aff Lock
warrior
rogue
(that’s 3 open dps spots to be divided up between 24 total dps specs and than some of obviously preferred over others).
3 Healers
and this one is a bit more open, but typically they want at least 1 or 2 disc priests.

Of course it’s probably even worse now if you are off meta and at gear or undergear lvl. People I believe would almost rather take a 200 ilvl aff lock than a 207 enh shammy. But people in general seem to be followers of a common idea. Oh so this comp with 3 boomies, affy lock, warrior and rogue worked for someone so we all should run it. when in reality an enh shammy w/ a melee cleave comp could be very good, especially against something like what that meta would bring.

But really in RBGs it comes down to a good group that listens, a good TC that calls, a good strat caller that’s flexible but confident.

1 Like

Eh not really… Lol rbgs I feel like are less forgiving than arenas. Having solid defensives are so important and enhance just doesn’t have that. Having the ability to just completely escape or reset focus when focused is so important. Enhance has to rely on a wall and then wolf waddle to get away. Every other melee just brings so much more. This is coming from an enhance player :rofl: honestly only think enhance was “good” in rbgs in wod when they were low key op lol… There’s always going to be a meta for a reason though. Goes for any PvP game.

Now that being said, anything can work easily 1600-2k…

Meta-slavery in general is promoted by giving players too many tools to control their own queues. The only way to fix it is ironically solo queue as an alternative field where unorthodox strategies and builds are given more opportunity to shine due to the sheer chaos of the unknown.

It’s the knock-down effects of people sweating and reading each others opinions without taking the necessary grains of salt into account for 15 years. There are always loads of lethal off-meta options that never get a chance to showcase because some ret paladin reroll in his first season above 1750 is absolutely sure that marks hunters are better base sitters than survival hunters.

That’s the real philosophical reason we need solo queue, beyond the difficulties people have finding groups in the current state of the game; pvp philosophy has become more rigid and stale than pve philosophy, and a lot of it boils down to perception biases and gatekeeping. Create a bracket where there’s nobody in charge of the team, and you’ll see the competent off-meta play more often. Some of the highest IQ plays you see occur not in rated bgs, but in random bgs where, for example, one smart player pushing LH can result in the Alliance team getting farmed in their GY due to map geometry.

The playerbase is literally its own issue. Badly socialized gamers always shoot themselves in the feet in their inherited need to climb social hierarchies and cultivate face-saving egos.

7 Likes

True but your totems bring some decent utilities and buffs that would really make an already melee cleave even more dangerous in team fights right?

This is the bracket I play in, so I guess my skill and experience is why I think this way.

Preach.
It all comes down to this.

Came in expecting to see a ‘long LFG times’ post but it turned out to be a boring toxicity rant. Find me a PvP game that doesn’t have toxicity and I’ll find you a game with no chat feature.

2 Likes

I’d say this boils down more to the lowest common denominator being fairly incompetent but having high confidence due to the proliferation of standardized opinions through this newfound communications technology we call the internet more than it does to toxicity; the toxicity is the symptom and not the condition.

It’s just poor philosophy filtered through the masses, crossed against the averaged social experience of the archetypal gamer. Familiar with the phrase, “hurt people hurt people?”
“Declined people decline people” is equally apt.

Hell, I might even go so far as to say “irrelevant posters dismiss posts as irrelevant” :^)

1 Like

Eh… The perks are pretty minor and the ones ele/resto bring with skyfury are probably better lol.

Blizzard doesn’t help the case though. Rating locked gear just encourages it. For the one season my buddies played it was the first time they ever asked me to reroll. In wod we played every spec in every comp imaginable to man.

Then we could just focus on climbing on a few we found fun/success with at the end of the season.

1 Like

Of course it does. You want a blackpill?
Blizzard knows a large amount of people are going to unsub regardless once the newness of an expansion wears off. Instead of trying to please the people who will stay past the newness with an actual good product, they prioritize trying to make the people that are going to unsub pay to reroll before they burn out. After all, $12 a month over 6 months is a lot less income than a $15 sub, a $60 character boost, and maybe even a $25 race change all in one month once your friend Kyle from Durotar laughs at you for not playing orc “for the racials, bro.”

3 Likes

That’s the hardest kind of black pill to swallow because the logic makes sense.

Moooo for life lol

Speaking too much truth. I can’t handle it lol