Logging in at friends house for classic wow LAN

I want to go to my friends house to play classic wow launch with him. Will be playing on one of his computers with my account. His house is only a couple miles away from mine but obviously will have different IP’s but same ISP. Is there anything I should be aware of that is needed for this? I don’t really wanna have to log into my email from his house to verify anything since I don’t use a webpage based email.

Since you’ll be going to a new location, your account will probably want to do a security check to make sure it’s you. The best way to avoid that is to have an authenticator and/or a phone number attached to your account. I use my authenticator when logging in from a new location to make sure it doesn’t lock me out.

I’d also recommend turning off options on the Blizzard app that remember your login. If you’d rather not, you can also set your authenticator to prompt you every time you log in. I’m sure you trust your friend, but you don’t want them in your account.

9 Likes

I don’t have a cell phone. I use to have the blizzard app on my mp3 player to use the authenticator. I disliked having to use it all the time when I logged in. Sometimes I don’t keep my mp3 player charged and it becomes a hastle. I’ve never had an issue with stolen account or anything since I created it in 2006.

Then it’s likely you’ll need to verify your account with email if you try to log in from your friend’s house, at least for the first time. The recommendations to turn off login remembering options still stands, because you don’t want to get your account taken over by your friend.

It sounds like you’re very lucky - I personally require that the officers in my guild use authenticators to ensure the guild bank doesn’t get cleaned out.

3 Likes

The authenticator only requires authenticating once a week now unless you specifically flag it to be required every time. It’ll still ask if you log in from a new computer or IP, so it’s still secure, but that makes it easier to use.

Thanks for the information. There is a way to log onto my email on webpage from my ISP I just found. I’ll try logging on from there when we get a chance next and see what happens. Thanks again.

With the Athenticator on your account should not be a issue. It should prompt you with it since it is a new location. Not a issue as long as your not teleporting half way around the world. Meaning you log in from New York and 3 minutes later your account logs out and then back in from Irvine, CA. Jumping like that would set a red flag for possibility of account sharing.

1 Like

They changed that and you now only occasionally get prompted unless you want to always get prompted. I get prompted every month or two only.

FWIW, I login frequently within a 10-12 mile radius without getting a security prompt.

2 Likes

It’s not physical distance as much as it’s network distance. Large physical difference will almost always involve different networks, but you could be next door and still be on a different network that could trigger the requirement for additional authentication. But as already mentioned, once you log in from a new location a few times, you shouldn’t be asked too often.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional replies guys. I think I have an idea what needs to be done now and should be covered. Thanks again for all the information.

4 Likes

No worries at all. I regularly play Overwatch at my partner’s house and they live about ~10 minutes away from me. :slight_smile: I had to do an authenticator the first few times and it’s stopped asking me now, so it’ll learn the new log in location within a few weeks.

1 Like