Lockups since 8.3.7 - Nvidia GPUs (Windows Thread)

I just updated my graphics driver and tried playing w/o any addons enabled…

Still locked up. : /

2 Likes

The solution to close out the client while you play was working for me for a solid 2 weeks or so until today. Now i’m getting the same crashes of no error and straight back to windows. None of the other stuff I am running at the time gets interrupted or shows signs of heat or memory related issues as i’ve already upgraded both of those this month in an attempt to help this problem in the first place.

damn blizzard, is two months already… two months!!! imagine there are some wow players with coronavirus and the could die without seeing a solution for these lockups.

2 Likes

I have the same issues on Windows 8.1 since patch 8.3 release. I can 100% of the time replicate these 5-15 sec freezes by opening the Character info ( C ), the Appearances tab from the Collections or by inspecting another player.

Edit : The talking head frame would freeze my game for a good 10 seconds every time it popped up. This was especially annoying in M+ Dungeons

2 Likes

Still locked up using dx11 legacy in windowed mode with no addons enabled.

Requires a PC restart to unlock.

My game will just stop responding while trying to load into either character select or loading a character into the game. Very rarely does it crash after the character is in the world with 99.9% of crashes occurring in the loading screens.

I have used DDU and did a clean install of my vid drivers (GTX 1070) and windows is up to date. I have tried resetting the UI. Switching to Dx11Legacy did nothing and also tried having nothing else running in the back ground. Once the game crashes, I can run the game and I will never have another issue as long as I don’t restart the computer. The average crash is 1 per day.

DXDiag:
https://pastebin.com/gWYtGdkS

Has anyone tried installing an older nvidia driver, like ones from Dec 2019. I am tempted to try that. I’m wondering if it’s the new drivers that’s causing problems.

All I know is that I never had a problem with WoW before installing the DCH platform drivers. I have downgraded my drivers to version 441.87. I found on the guru3d site where you can download the older drivers and even the newest ones in the standard platform. *https://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-nvidia-geforce-vista-%7c-7.html* After installing the drivers, I logged in and cycled through 8 of my characters with zero issues. I’ll be testing it more this afternoon. I always suspected the DCH but I could be all wrong… yep I sure could. We’ll see.

There may be issues with the DCH drivers, but I had problems (posted upthread) and have never used those, I’ve always downloaded the standard drivers directly from Nvidia.

What seems to be working for me these days is: dial back the Graphics Quality to 7 (except the Environment sliders which I put to 10), don’t let the launcher run in the background while running the game, and pare back the addons to only the essentials, which are mostly small utility type stuff, no big databases (addon memory usage is currently around 16MB). Crashes are pretty rare now, and mostly occur when I forget to pause Folding@Home on my main GPU while playing (I don’t blame the game for those).

The first time I redid the vid drivers, I used DDU and installed the DCH clean drivers. The first time I logged into the game, it crashed on me.

This time, I installed the standard older drivers and I logged in with no problem, switched between characters for a while. Restarted the comp, logged in again, switched between characters and ran the emissary on them with no problems. I’m hoping this continues and that it’s fixed. I will continue to update as time goes on.

1 Like

another week…

1 Like

I bet if opening the wow shop caused our computers to freeze it would be fixed same day.

6 Likes

Yeah well they haven’t addressed premades being pitted against pugs for 16 years.

Hopefully this will be resolved sooner.

Edit: in other news, i played yesterday without any crashes.

You downloaded the non-DCH one?

I started using the HideTalkingHeadFrame addon and has helped a lot, but I do still get crashes sometimes when I open the character sheet, inspect people, appearances, collections or when starting a pet battle encounter.

I will try rolling back to 441.87 like you suggested – but how did you completely remove the current drivers to install the old one?

1 Like

Yes, I did.

The last time I installed the older non-DCH drivers, I just downloaded them, and installed over the newest DCH ones. Now my computer shows the older STANDARD drivers… I love it. STill no crashes after 3 days.

edit during the install, it says that it’s removing the old drivers, so I trusted it and it seems to have done a good job.

ok, the non-dch drivers then.

1 Like

Correct. non-dch
https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/geforce-441-87-whql-driver-download,1.html
For Win 10 drivers.

For me, if the non-DCH drivers keep working for me, I will try going to the higher NON-DCH drivers. At least I know that my current drivers work just fine.

1 Like

Installed it – have had no crashes, but did get two 5 secs lock-ups.

Just give it time to prove it will work. not sure about the lock-ups. I don’t normally get those… just loading screen crashes.