Locks ups on Direct x 11

reset everything to default game ran good until i opened my character panel then it froze again.

Let’s run the games scan/repair tool then get everything on the default UI.

*First run the Battle.net Launcher in Administrator mode - close Launcher. Restart computer to stop all Blizzard processes. Right click the Battlenet desktop icon - select “Run as Administrator” - Then run the Tool.

Tool is found on the Battle.net Launcher. Look for “Options” - directly below the Wow-BfA emblem. The tool is there.

Takes around 5-10 minutes to run.

Next as a test we check the UI. If it doesn’t help you can return your original addons and settings afterwards.

**Important First Step - If you have the Curse/Twitch - ElvUI/Tukui or similar addon manager/installer - temporarily uninstall. (Those will interfere with the test)

Close game completely. Navigate to the main Wow folder > retail folder. Rename the Cache, Interface and WTF folders to .old — Cache.old - Interface.old - WTF.old

The game will install new folders on launch. Test with a new UI and no addons. If that didn’t work simply remove the .old from your original folders and delete the new ones the Launcher installed. (This returns your previous settings as they were)

alright did everything you said and it still locked up when i opened my character panel or map.

Let’s run the clean uninstall of the graphics that I mentioned. Download the most recent Nvidia driver here:

We will use a tool called DDU to run the clean uninstall.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2747

Basically you extract the uninstaller from the download. (it will extract to a folder called DDU - the tool is inside that folder)

*Important: Unplug the Ethernet or disable the Wifi to avoid Windows automatic driver installation.

I like to boot the computer into safe mode then run the DDU tool. (This isn’t essential and you will need to confirm you have the windows password before you do so. If you are using a PIN it will ask for the actual password after running safe mode.)

On the tool you select Graphics type then Nvidia. Run the recommended “Clean then restart”.

Now for the install. Start the driver download. Select Graphics only (no GeForce Experience). Select Custom install carry on to the next pane. There is a box to check for Clean Install select (check) that box. (Resets the Nvidia control panel and profiles to defaults)

You may see a Windows Smart Screen warning when you start the Driver install as you are offline - ignore that.

ok reinstalled drivers clean and fresh logged in on direct x 11 and it froze the second i opened my character panel i really think this is on blizzards end this time. i have literally tried everything there are multiple people and threads about 8.3 and crashing. im just going to play on Dx11 legacy untill its fixed i guess.

I’m out of ideas. Looks like you may be stuck with DX 11 for the time being.

Given the age of the video card (770) what are the temps?

The description suggests the GPU drivers are resetting. The Kernel 141 errors in the DxDiag confirm that Windows had trouble interacting with device drivers. Since it’s persisted beyond everything Tratt mentioned it may be worth a shot to speak with a local PC tech who can check for possible hardware issues as well as verify/resolve operating system install issues.

Of course if it works in Dx11 Legacy that’s a fine workaround. Just keep in mind that if this is a hardware issue that may only work temporarily. Unresolved hardware issues can eventually get worse or cause damage to the device.

I wish we had better news but I hope the info helps. If there’s anything else you might need just let us know.

A post was split to a new topic: Shaftz - Lockups

I have the exact same card and I am also experiencing these lock ups. I have the latest set of drivers. The freezing is very specific to the new zones and opening your character panel, map, or entering a quest area with a chat dialog that pops up. Lockup’s only started happening since 8.3.
The game will freeze from 1-3 seconds, with an occasional black screen.

Hey all,

Another player recently had this problem, and after I moved them to their own thread and tried a few things, they mentioned they found a player work around on this. Can you let me know how this works for you?

hey guys thanks for the suggestion i made the macro, and i already had a hide talking head addon, and so far so good. haven’t had any lockups yet even in boralus. ill report back when i have played more and tell you guys the results.

edit
i played for about 20 mins so far and the only way i can get it to lockup is if i inspect someone. if i open my own character panel its fine but it will lockup if i inspect someone. so it seems the locks up are caused by the character model. i can also get it to lockup when i go to tmog.

Edit alright ive played for about an hour and all is good except for when you literally do anything other than open your char panel. if you tmog it freezes if you inspect someone it freezes. if you go in the dungeon journal and look at the boss model it freezes. im just going to suffer the fps in Dx 11 legacy untill this is fixed. super annoying.

so im still having lock ups on direct x 11. direct x 11 legacy works fine but regular direct x 11 still locks up when i open my character panel or tmog ect. really anything that shows my character model. i already have posted about this but it went no where. just a bunch of trouble shooting that didnt work. are you guys looking into this? its very annoying.

heres my other thread https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/locks-ups-on-direct-x-11/434631

1 Like

GTX 770, Same issue. Lock ups with opening character window and dialog pop ups. Just installed the 2nd new nvidia driver update that’s been put out since this issue started with 8.3.

Very annoying trying to do arena and change your essences when there is a good chance your game will crash opening the character panel.

Hey there,

Checking the original thread I noticed a DxDiag, and found some important error reporting:

Problem signature:
P1: svchost.exe_GraphicsPerfSvc

Problem signature:
P1: 141

Both of these are Windows errors related to interactions with the graphics device. This means that the game locking up is just a symptom of these system level issues.

I noticed we already tried the following items that did not seem to resolve the issue:

• Interface Folder Reset
  • Reinstall graphics drivers
  • Hiding character model frames

From here we’d want to start disabling background applications and checking temperatures. If possible, take a screenshot of the hardware monitor described in the article I linked and post it here. We can help go over the information. Keep in mind the “export” does not show full details of the report so it’s important for it to be a screenshot of the top and bottom half of the report (after reproducing the freezing issue while the tool is running, so it has the data we need in it.)

Example:
imgur.com/abc123

Hope the info helps. Let us know how it goes!

thanks for the reply, the only issue i dont understand is ive literally done everything i can do to fix this problem. and nothing works on my end. so what makes you think its not the game and blizzards fault. this issue has had multiple reports and threads made over and over. i can play the game for 10 hours and my temps on my gpu never go above 60c i know how to check temps im not computer illiterate. the game runs completely fine on dx 11 legacy and locks up on direct x 11 within minutes of playing if i open a character model frame. i dont under stand how you guys think its my issue when prior to 8.3 the game ran fine on dx11. i feel as if im being forced to upgrade my GPU so i can just play on dx12 and be done with it.

Drifted,

Merged us back into the main thread so that we can continue from here and have everything in one place. Regardless of what you’re seeing in the temps, other information in that HWmonitor test can help us find other things that might indicate what’s actually going on here. We’d still like to see it just to check to see what your hardware is doing. That said, overall it seemed like in this thread a few weeks back, macro was working for you… did it stop working?

Drakuloth I don’t think we should have to run a macro to play the game. I can’t believe it was even suggested to be honest. It freezes under a very specific repeatable set of circumstances for multiple people using nvidia starting with 8.3 update.

I can be in a full raid having a wonderful day, taxing my system to it’s max potential, and simply opening my character panel brings that all to an end. I can be chilling in Boralus fishing and simply opening my character panel again will cause a lock up.

There have been 2 nvidia driver updates since 8.3 and neither of them have helped. I find it really hard to believe that opening my character panel can cause our hardware to zonk out and over heat.

1 Like

hey thanks for the reply. the macro does work but only when you open your character panel, if you open up say your tmog window it will lock up or inspecting someone ect. the macro only stops the lock ups when you are viewing your character panel which i posted in this thread.

here are my HWmonitor pics
https://i.imgur.com/B4RxAk0.png
https://i.imgur.com/k5DnLWk.png

i took the pics right after the lockup happens.

Drifted,

Okay, yeah, those screenshots are pretty much immaculate. Beyond what we already suggested there’s not really anything else we can do from a troubleshooting perspective. I was under the impression that your new thread had something to do with the work around not helping at all. Since the work around still works, we know it’s not system most likely, and that screenshot made it only more clear.

Based on the behavior, you’re better off submitting a bug report than troubleshooting further. We don’t have a ton of reports of this in tech, but I can point them to this thread if we get more. You’ll want to use the Bug Report forums for this, since we in tech don’t fix bugs - we just try to find fixes where they exist.

If you want to link the thread you submit here, anybody else who stumbles on this can add their +1.