Little Mermaid controversy

i only accept one type of little mermaid

4 Likes

Honestly, I used to care. Not anymore.

The woke left is winning. There’s no stopping the leftists.

My only guess is that the movie will bomb financially. I heard that if you have an addon to see how many dislikes the teaser had. It has about 2 million dislikes.
Says a lot huh?

The anquish of it all I guess.

“We’re in the sea motha** we wanna be on land.”

2 Likes

I would watch this unironically…

1 Like

What more are you going to want from one of the most Disney crap? the community warned him, the toxicity was not in vain by putting the hashtag #nomyariel and what happened?

Exactly the same hate, that at the end we have a spinoff of the Harry Potter mermaid with something with you see the actress who was only handpicked for being Beyonce and Ophrah’s pupil for the fans who put the Chef’s pleasure bag from South Park and incidentally killed another ginger character like Ariel, they misappropriated a white European culture and tale like when they vandalized to the mermaid statue in Copenhagen Denmark.

And all for winning an Oscar since the academy cares that 70% of the film includes diversity no matter what it is, so that you see Disney even if it dresses in diversity, racist remains.

It would be something excellent to diversify other cultures such as including stories from African mythology, but I remember a long time ago that I talked about a new MMO about this mythology, now you see this thread I made.

is there any comment? right? Do you see someone who is interested? right?

It’s the same thing that’s happening with Disney’s stupid metanality, I didn’t even have the time to make The Princess and the Frog, A MOVIE WHOSE CHARACTERS ARE AFRO-DESCENDENT.

Not really, their films are losing money because identical politics that effected the film and its turning people off.

They won’t stop neither will we.

It most likely will, and they will come out and calling you a racist and sexist like they always do. You got tell them to shut up and watching a race swap of a classic remake. Meanwhile we got Snow White coming and that also a race swap remake as well.

1 Like

Not sure anyone is winning here

1 Like

Caring about the appearance of a mythological creature in a fairytale is hard to care about.
Using an old Disney cartoon that was only somewhat tenuously based on the original fairytale as the standard for the appearance of the mythological creature in the argument raises it from pointless all the way to patently absurd.

So no, no winners.

4 Likes

Honestly I am giving up and never watching the “live action remakes” anymore. I mean Mulan removed Mushu. They are changing the stories too much. I know Eric is still in the live action but they said it would be changed so she wasn’t going on land to “get a man”, so no doubt it will be a terrible train wreck movie.

In the original story the mermaid, who didn’t have a name, never managed to get the prince to take her seriously as a love interest. He ends up marrying a princess from another nearby kingdom.

The cartoon is very loosely based on the story, it is its own story and should be judged as such.

The live action is again a new story “based” on or “inspired by” a previous work and should be judged on its own merits, good or bad, not on its similarities, or lack thereof, to the earlier works.

If you don’t like this one, the older versions of the story are still around.

It’s specifically a live action adaptation of the 1989 animated movie. It’s the latest in a line of shameless cash grabs by a greedy, exploitative company.

1 Like

Like the one we are paying a sub for.

Disney and Blizzard have become drunk with their own power.

What I have seen, that everyone is complain more about visible effect than race swap Ariel.

Wasn’t he already eaten by a shark in Deep Blue Sea?

Disney’s live-action remakes tend to fail because they omit what made the originals great to begin with. Often that’s the sidekicks, like Sebastian and Flounder. If the teaser trailer I saw for The Little Mermaid wanted to draw an audience, they would have done well to show us Ariel interacting with Sebastian and Flounder (or even Scuttle).

Take those sidekicks out of any Disney animated feature and the movie loses a lot of its charm. I’m also not convinced you can reasonably convey the charm of some of those sidekicks into a live-action feature and have it play out the same.

The remakes have had an arguably good cast and storyline to work with, but they’ve failed in a lot of the execution because they don’t capture the nostalgic charm the original audience is looking for, and they’ve done some things to step on eggshells around a minority of modern audiences who are unfortunately also some of the loudest.

2 Likes

The only time I would care, is if Sebastian’s Jamaican accent is changed.

I thought it was the Rock.

What is the controversy again?

Some people have cried foul because Ariel was white in the cartoon, but is played by a black actress in the live-action. Some of them claim it’s a Danish tale and therefore Ariel should be played by a white actress, since the majority of Danish people are white (or something along those lines). There are those who also claim Ariel should be played by a white actress because that’s how she was portrayed in the cartoon, and hiring a black actress is some sort of pandering to minorities.

Personally I don’t care too much about that. Ariel is a mermaid, not a Dutch citizen. As a half-woman, half-fish sea creature her skin doesn’t even have to be a human skin tone. If we were going for realism, Ariel would serve as a siren who lures Eric to his untimely demise.

While I do think it’s pandering if someone gets a job specifically because of some attribute outside of their qualifications for the job, there’s no real indication that’s what happened with the live-action movie. By all accounts she’s a talented singer and actress, and I’m certain she’ll do a good job with the material and direction she’s given.

If anything, I think the movie will fail because–as I stated above–Disney seems to neglect or misunderstand the nostalgia of its audiences. If they don’t commit to bringing Sebastian, Flounder, and Scuttle (not to mention Ursula, Flotsam, and Jetsam) to life, the movie isn’t going to be good compared to the original.

I’d like to see Disney focus less on rehashing old stories and create some new ones that are worthwhile. Part of the problem I do see with race-swapping or gender-bending old franchises is it seems to say the creators are afraid of establishing new franchises featuring original characters of different races and genders.

Rather than trying to swap the races or change the genders of established and beloved characters, create original characters. Instead of trying to borrow the nostalgia of a fan base and blaming them for being “toxic” because they dislike it, create a new and original franchise that can’t be judged on the merits of previous material. Some of those new franchises will fail, but others could result in beloved characters for future generations.

I don’t have children, but if I ever do, I’ll be happy to share The Little Mermaid and other stories I grew up on, but it will be the originals, not the remakes. The originals are what captured my attention and inspired me. I am who I am in part because of them, and that’s what I would want to share with my children, not the remade cash grab I think suffered from a lack of creativity and understanding from the creators.