Lionheart vs. Stormherald

I’d accept that the mace is better for PvP in 2v2 and maybe battlegrounds… But the random burst damage from swords would probably make it more competitive in the 3’s and 5’s. A mortal strike landing with a heroic strike, and one or both proccing an extra attack can end a fight pretty fast.

yes ret’s can use it, as the weapon has a inbuilt stun. Hence the name “Stunherald”

But warriors at the start of Bc benefited more as arms warriors had a talent in arms called mace specialization, which granted the chance to stun when using maces. So your talent could proc, then the weapon could proc, it was total rng but it could essentially lock someone down more than a rogue could.

So Arms warriors could essentially have a chance to stun proc that could just keep going.

Hence why Mace spec was later nerfed.

Naw. Axe is better PVE. Mace is better PVP (or PVE too if you’re going DW fury).

Sword is never the move after 2.2

I made a post similar to this in the classicwowtbc reddit awhile back, I got some good responses

Go Stormherald…

That stun is just too damn good, you are going to want that for sure.

You could raid as fury and go maces as the 1h BS maces are super good, while the 1h BS swords are crap. That way you pve and pvp with maces.

you referenced the correct name of this mace in your post, but misspelled it as your toon name. odd. :rofl:

Both are spelled correctly?

it was a joke that his name isn’t “stunherald” which is obviously the maces “correct” name. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you are buddies with the loot council, you can just get the mace for pvp and get prio on KT sword for pve. Your dps will suffer in between but honestly t4 won’t be too hard and melee just get shafted in general come T5.

Early on in gearing, Axe Spec actually provides the most reliable results. Later for PVE you want Swords for more burst. You’d want it for PVP too if it wasn’t for specifically Stormherald having immense synergy with Mace Spec.

So, personally, if its Gladiator weapon vs Gladiator Weapon, Sword > Axe > Mace. But if you are gonna get a Stormherald, then mace goes up the list.

2 Likes

So the overall consensus seems to be, unless my guild has heartburn with mace spec, either sword or mace should be fine for PvE? And either one is also fine for PvP?

(Note: “fine” doesn’t mean “optimal,” it means “acceptable“)

If that’s the case I might just go with the sword for nostalgic reasons.

Generally how it works is this storm Herald is for PVP

And lionheart executioner is for pve

So you are the default choice for every 2H weapon and you want to go BS for a 2H weapon?
You are literally at the very end of the line for nether vortex once everyone in the raid has a belt made and the alchemists have their trinket.

Get Cat’s Edge and use it in PvP with Khorium breastplate and you’ll just absolutely delete clothies.

Sword spec is underrated in PvP, especially if you ever play with a shaman. That being said, mace spec (and Stormherald) is great, but with mace stun and SH stun sharing DR, you wont benefit from it as much as you think. Beyond that, the actual PvP maces are perfectly capable weapons, and SH really only gives you a big advantage if you can get it during S2. The S3 mace is excellent, especially with the Armor Pen, and goes a long way towards minimizing the overall value of SH.

Again, what you should do is gonna rely on what you play with. If you play with a shaman, sword spec is better (but LE shouldn’t really ever be used in PvP anyway, it just doesn’t have the right stats for it), but mace spec is obviously still viable. It’s largely preference with mace spec having a very slight edge most of the time.

I played a blood elf with Stormherald and it would proc once or twice a day, so not reliable in arenas at all. That being said, it has a ton of stamina so it was still the best choice; but its hella slow. This time im going to go Lionheart.

You want slow for bigger hits. I’m already a hammersmith. Totally going for Stormherald.

The real benefit from mace spec is the extra rage is generates on proc. Remember that damage = rage = more damage.

Depends on how dedicated you are to the guild. If you don’t care about raids or your dps go mace if you care go sword. Best scenario is to play fury so you can make the BiS one hand maces and have stormherald for pvp

1 Like

How much does it really matter in practice? Good weapons are good weapons.