Linux Client?

I didn’t know there still was such vitriolic opinion of ‘Winblows’ vs Linux. The funny thing is the game isn’t even compiled to work with Linux libraries, so when you run Wine and complain (heh, Whine), you’re adding another abstraction layer to the application itself. WoW has enough trouble running on its native Windows OS.

I think it’s admirable to want to be against the grain and attempt to use hacky solutions to get things working, but you can’t possibly complain about performance or bugs when running things as they weren’t intended.

The initial post sort of reeks of someone who just had their first computer science course and learned that ‘only true computer geeks use Linux’. Oof indeed.

1 Like

Honestly been running wow fine in linux for some time…and now with the advances with wine and lutris… I get about the same FPS it’s about 5 fps difference I dual boot…but have not touched windows in about 7 months…

I run overwatch in linux with no problems as well…linux has come a long way in the gaming front…

And honestly if you dont game and are on windows…I just scratch my head unless you do a ton of Adobe work…

2 Likes

Not the case at all. The CPU scheduling in Linux is much better. As patches improve the video side of things, one can get better performance in larger scale battles (ie TM, AV). If you’re questing then fine a Windows 10 machine on DX11 multi-thread and Geforce works very well. When you start getting into large scale battles, Linux on DX12 and Radeons work better.

3 Likes

Heard about something called flatpak?

Linux is not what it used to be.

1 Like

If you are quite techy, you can try using VFIO instead of Wine/Lutris

You guys are both technically right.

End-user adoption of linux was/is still very very low.

Corporate systems, infrastructure, “business applications” … I’d say you’d be hard-pressed to find not running on unix/linux. Save for the occasional legacy platform still running on some mainframe.