Linux Client?

I had a slight issue getting on with Wine this afternoon. An error appeared saying unable to create 3D device or something like that, was not paying too much attention. I updated my NVidia drivers + DXVK and everything worked again. No need in changing DX11 legacy settings or anything like that. My drivers were only one or two minor revisions behind. I used to run with GPU passthrough but Wine has been good enough for long time now. It sucks some people still have issues with it, a native client would be helpful. Just make sure to follow the Lutris instructions in their Battlenet guide, even if you arenā€™t using Lutris.

1 Like

After the game freezes if I then check dmesg I see a line
NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 39, CCMDs 00000013 0000c1b5

Nvidiaā€™s documentation for xid codes says 39 is Unused.

I have tried AA on, AA off, graphics quality 1 through 7, dx 11, dx 11 legacy, nvidia driver 418.43, nvidia driver 396.54. When playing 8.1 and eariler I had set win7 with winecfg. Tried setting win10 with no change. Been using wineserver -k to recover.

So far my solution has been to make a cup of tea, some toast and play with my kitten instead of wow.

I can confirm the same issue :-/

This is exactly what Iā€™m getting, except that the actual error I get is 41:

[ 5090.848357] NVRM: Xid (PCI:0000:01:00): 41, CCMDs 0000004b 0000b0b5

I see that right when it freezes. Sometimes when switching wine prefixes with Lutris, I get back the ACCESS_VIOLATION error, so this also might be related to the prefix.

Gonna try and see if I can get it working with vkd3d (still no luck btw)

Can I play with your kittens?

Using the OSS ATI driver under wine-staging-3.15, 3.21, and 4.1, I get a 132 before any window pops up. Anyone got an ATI or Intel box working with the new patch?

Looking up the xid codes 41 has the same not so useful description of Unused as the 39 I get. Just finished updating another computer and it keeps going boom as well.

Are you fine with keyboard lead and any usb lead on your desk being chewed or thrown on the floor?

1 Like

Yeah, undocumented also. I somehow managed to get lutris throw me this also when the hangs happen:

err: DxvkDevice: Command buffer submission failed: VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST
err: DxvkSubmissionQueue: Failed to sync fence: VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST

Still do not know what they mean, perhaps a kernel upgrade?

Nixing what I said earlier, dxvk is also crashing now for me when I try to play the game. World of Warcraft has worked excellently on Wine + DXVK and various other patches for the better part of two expansions. I suspect this has something to do with Blizzard adding ā€œLegacy DX11 Modeā€ in this patch, and it also appears to have caused issues for Windows users in some cases.

Iā€™m able to get into my character, but within about 5 seconds, it hangs my entire operating system and I canā€™t even tab out to tty.

I know Blizzard isnā€™t (yet) officially supporting Linux, but up until this patch, we have had options to play the game on Linux with near-native performance. Please rollback or fix the issue.

1 Like

Same issue here running with an older DXVK version. Newer versions do not solve anything.

dmesg shows XID 41 (unused according to Nvidia documentation) and unless WoW is pkilled it will proceed to freeze as much of the system as it is allowed to (on most setups, everything).

Logging onto a new level one I was able to stay online for 30 seconds instead of 1-2 seconds before I had to pkill WoW. Unable to determine what specifically is causing this, will just wait until someone else figures it out or a fix is made.

Would appreciate if they had a real legacy option instead of a rewritten and undocumented one for patches like this.

For the record, I am not using dxvk. I donā€™t think the old Radeon HD5770 supports it, though not sure. WoW had been working at acceptable speeds up until this patch on this card, ughā€¦

Itā€™s really odd that in such a small content patch, Blizzard would do something like a major engine rewrite for DX12 support on Windows 7, an operating system that is no longer going to be supported by Microsoft next year.

I was able to get the game running today without DXVK, with around <0.5 FPS (for real, I counted). The update they did definitely messes with DXVK in some way or another, which is strange coming from a mid-content patch.

I donā€™t mind not having an official client, Lutris has been pretty good in filling in the gaps for the better part of a year. I know there are not many Linux gamers out there. I just wish game companies wouldnā€™t be so dismissive of Linux, thatā€™s all.

Now I am currently re-downloading the game (which is what I had to do last time, on 8.0). At this point, I donā€™t know if it will work, but who knows.

1 Like

I can confirm that it is working (but nigh unplayable) without DXVK. I was getting 2FPS in cities, 4FPS in other areas.

1 Like

IM a linux user and this game runs really well despite there not being a client that is linux specific for it. That was until this recent update. Now i only get ONE fps. I was not so just yesterday.

In the meantime, some users have reported that compiling vkd3d with a few different fixes meant specifically for World of Warcraft, and using it in a fresh Wine prefix without any dxvk-related files in that prefix, works.

Iā€™m going to compile vkd3d and wine-staging tomorrow and give it a shot. Itā€™s not an ideal solution, because what we had before was working fine and was a lot less cumbersome, but it might do if it takes Blizzard a long time to even get around to fixing this issue.

2 Likes

Having the same issue, running Arch. Before I couldnā€™t even launch the game, but now Iā€™m able to get in only for my computer to drop to negative FPS (I can still hear the in-game sound) before my entire system needs to be rebooted.

2 Likes

I hope that is wat we are all looking for if u can get that dvxk to install and work for linux Iā€™d sure appreciate a link or something as I do believe that is what is missing for me. I hadnt thought of it till now, but DVXK does need be running in order for higher framerates. I just donā€™t know where or how I found it last time and Iā€™m far to tired right now.

If you get it working and can send some instructions in a pastebin, it will be greatly appreciated. I tried to do so using wine-vanilla-4.1 (Gentoo box) with the vkd3d USE flag, but the game wouldnā€™t launch at all (configured a game in Lutris to use that system wine version on a fresh prefix).

What version of vkd3d? I am currently using vkd3d 1.0, wine-staging 4.1. In my .wine dxvk 0.95 then 1.0 via wintricks. The other computer same system install and the .wine on it dxvk 0.72 via wintricks.