Linux Client?

That’s not great news. There’s a Reddit post from another user: https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/comments/az5b85/vkd3d_world_of_warcraft/eiektpa

1 Like

I just tried with a fresh wine prefix. All I did was run winecfg to populate a new prefix. 1st time all day I have been able to get this character to stay logged in at the boralus mission table. A i7-7700k + gtx1060 and when I turned to face the direction of the warfront table had a massive 19fps and I started getting a headache.

Starting a single azerite mission at the table is a result isn’t it? Stuff it, back to the kitten.

1 Like

Sucks to hear that it is affecting you as well. I’d hoped there might be a solution using something other than dxvk. Hopefully we’ll hear back from Blizzard.

I doubt that since Limux is not officially supported :stuck_out_tongue:

We’ve been getting by without official support for a long time. If a lot of these issues are also affecting Windows users, and all you need to do is take a look at the huge number of threads reporting graphical issues to see that it is also affecting them, then it isn’t just our problem, but a compat issue in general.

1 Like

Relevant thread to everyone posting here with issues: New Graphics APIs in 8.1.5

2 Likes

I wish more info was available:

ACCESS_VIOLATION : error 132: ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal exception!
The instruction at “0x000000018000396a” referenced memory at “0x0000000000000000”.
The memory could not be “read”.

1 Like

That was a thread to let people know that they implemented a new graphics API so that it would work for people with Windows 7 and DX 11. Blizzard is not going to roll back or fix anything to make sure WoW works in Linix it isn’t supported and they aren’t going to go out of their way to trouble shoot it. If you want it fixed you will have to figure it out on your own.

Happened several times during the day when troubleshooting. Just use a new wine prefix and it should go away.

After a while I was getting this at startup without DXVK and regular D11 enabled, not legacy. I spoke too soon earlier, lol. Everything works just fine for me in DXVK – in specific zones only – there are some areas I can go afk indefinitely. I guess my low level masked the problem for me initially. Turning off DXVK isn’t that bad for me, not sure why it gives people 0 fps but I am no gaming enthusiast, I haven’t even launched this game in almost a year. Anyway, switch on DXVK, go to settings on the login screen and switch to Legacy mode. Exit, turn DXVK off and hit No when it asks if you want a reset due to new hardware. That cleared the access violation on startup I was getting.

As per the advice of our friend on Reddit, I’m going to compile my own binaries in a bit and give WoW a test on DX12. If it runs as good as they say it is running, this surprise “optimizaton” might be a blessing in disguise.

That is why the Linux community is cool. I do hope you guys get it going, I didn’t mean to sound rude earlier, I just wanted to make sure you weren’t waiting for Blizzard to do anything, they have kind of made their position on Linux clear in that they will not offer support for it. Good luck.

I am still getting very low FPS and crashes after compiling vkd3d with neccessary patches.

I was having the same issues with wine on Linux after patch 8.1.5 with my AMD card and OSS drivers. The game would crash on startup, couldn’t get to character selection screen or get it to run at all.

There was another update today (Mar 13) - I was hoping that would fix it, but the problem persisted.

What finally fixed it for me was to run winecfg, and change the emulated OS from windows 7 to windows 10. Everything started working perfectly (again) after that.

Wine 4.3 (staging), dxvk 1.0, and using SET gxApi “D3D11” in Config.wtf

Which patches did you try and which wine version? Are the patches the ones at wine bug # 46410 ?

Looks like somebody opened a bug to DXVK (github DXVK issue # 964). Fingers crossed that it gets looked at. Problem seems specific to NVIDIA.

Still haven’t managed to run it with vkd3d. It starts, but there is nothing going on (no image, no music, just an empty window).

Tried changing my emulated OS in winecfg to windows 10, got an error 132 on loading screen ;(

Tried a new WINEPREFIX, still fails to start. Fails the exact same way.

Now I’m seeing something that I didn’t see before, reporting that it couldn’t get IPSFactory buffer… uh … weird.

But next I tried changing the emulation to Windows 10 – Now it at least starts! Unfortunately it’s down to 1FPS which is unplayable except for possibly playing Shell Game. Turtles won’t make it to the water like this!

But oh no… Seems like Win7 emulation in Wine has problems? I was able to use WoW on my uncomfortable-to-use box that has native Win7 on it.

— Edit again —

Switched back to DX11-legacy instead of using the new DX11 code, the frame rate has returned back to normal. Looks like things are working again, but this does foreshadow a bad omen.

I’m on wine 4.3 (with staging, esync, and tkg patches) with libvkd3d 1.1, running nvidia 418.43 for a GTX 1060.

Starting from a clean WINEPREFIX and no dxvk, I run winecfg and set to Windows 10, and nothing else. With this setup I am able to get into the game. (My original wineprefix would throw Err#132 if I disabled dxvk),

With -d3d11Legacy the game is playable, though low fps (low teens in Boralus, and in the 20s elsewhere).
With -d3d11 the game technically works but fps is 1, so is unplayable.
With -d3d12 I hear music and see the WoW cursor, but otherwise it’s a black screen.

Adding in dxvk-1.0 …
With -d3d11Legacy I get fps>90 … until it freezes, and tries to take the window manager with it. (“err: DxvkDevice: Command buffer submission failed: VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST” and it’s game over.)
With -d3d11 it’s exactly the same.
With -d3d12 it’s exactly the same (dxvk overrides vkd3d, is my understanding).
Time to freeze is usually 30 to 60 seconds on a level 1 standing in SW Trade District. In Boralus it seems to be pretty nearly immediate.
When it freezes, the kernel thread “irq/30-nvidia” goes 100% cpu for several seconds, and seems to drop off about the same time as the first “DEVICE LOST” message appears.

Using --without-gxdi on the dxvk setup doesn’t make a difference in -d3d12 behavior.

If the best I can do for now is d3d11legacy with dxvk, then I guess that’ll have to do, but … I keep hearing some people are having great results with vkd3d.

To the folks who are successfully running wow with d3d12 - what is your setup? what version of wine? , what version of vkd3d and which patches (if any), and where did it come from? Are you using nvidia, and if so, which driver? I’ve made multiple attempts on multiple versions of, well, everything since 8.1 dropped, and have never gotten wow to work with DirectX12. Any pointers would be most appreciated.

If you are trying to use WoW’s DX12 backend on WINE, you’re definitely going to want to make WoW think it’s running on Windows 10. If WoW thinks it’s on Windows 7, it’s going to use the special 12on7 code paths and load the special Windows 7 d3d12.dll next to the WoW executable, which is almost certainly want you don’t want to happen for WINE.

5 Likes