Linux Client?

In the meantime, some users have reported that compiling vkd3d with a few different fixes meant specifically for World of Warcraft, and using it in a fresh Wine prefix without any dxvk-related files in that prefix, works.

I’m going to compile vkd3d and wine-staging tomorrow and give it a shot. It’s not an ideal solution, because what we had before was working fine and was a lot less cumbersome, but it might do if it takes Blizzard a long time to even get around to fixing this issue.

2 Likes

Having the same issue, running Arch. Before I couldn’t even launch the game, but now I’m able to get in only for my computer to drop to negative FPS (I can still hear the in-game sound) before my entire system needs to be rebooted.

2 Likes

I hope that is wat we are all looking for if u can get that dvxk to install and work for linux I’d sure appreciate a link or something as I do believe that is what is missing for me. I hadnt thought of it till now, but DVXK does need be running in order for higher framerates. I just don’t know where or how I found it last time and I’m far to tired right now.

If you get it working and can send some instructions in a pastebin, it will be greatly appreciated. I tried to do so using wine-vanilla-4.1 (Gentoo box) with the vkd3d USE flag, but the game wouldn’t launch at all (configured a game in Lutris to use that system wine version on a fresh prefix).

What version of vkd3d? I am currently using vkd3d 1.0, wine-staging 4.1. In my .wine dxvk 0.95 then 1.0 via wintricks. The other computer same system install and the .wine on it dxvk 0.72 via wintricks.

Not sure why there’s such a discrepancy without dxvk. Mine was not fast but playable (18 to 60+FPS) prior to this patch, mostly due to being an old card that doesn’t support dxvk. Now with this patch I can’t even get into the login screen.

That’s not great news. There’s a Reddit post from another user: https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/comments/az5b85/vkd3d_world_of_warcraft/eiektpa

1 Like

I just tried with a fresh wine prefix. All I did was run winecfg to populate a new prefix. 1st time all day I have been able to get this character to stay logged in at the boralus mission table. A i7-7700k + gtx1060 and when I turned to face the direction of the warfront table had a massive 19fps and I started getting a headache.

Starting a single azerite mission at the table is a result isn’t it? Stuff it, back to the kitten.

1 Like

Sucks to hear that it is affecting you as well. I’d hoped there might be a solution using something other than dxvk. Hopefully we’ll hear back from Blizzard.

I doubt that since Limux is not officially supported :stuck_out_tongue:

We’ve been getting by without official support for a long time. If a lot of these issues are also affecting Windows users, and all you need to do is take a look at the huge number of threads reporting graphical issues to see that it is also affecting them, then it isn’t just our problem, but a compat issue in general.

1 Like

Relevant thread to everyone posting here with issues: New Graphics APIs in 8.1.5

2 Likes

I wish more info was available:

ACCESS_VIOLATION : error 132: ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal exception!
The instruction at “0x000000018000396a” referenced memory at “0x0000000000000000”.
The memory could not be “read”.

1 Like

That was a thread to let people know that they implemented a new graphics API so that it would work for people with Windows 7 and DX 11. Blizzard is not going to roll back or fix anything to make sure WoW works in Linix it isn’t supported and they aren’t going to go out of their way to trouble shoot it. If you want it fixed you will have to figure it out on your own.

Happened several times during the day when troubleshooting. Just use a new wine prefix and it should go away.

After a while I was getting this at startup without DXVK and regular D11 enabled, not legacy. I spoke too soon earlier, lol. Everything works just fine for me in DXVK – in specific zones only – there are some areas I can go afk indefinitely. I guess my low level masked the problem for me initially. Turning off DXVK isn’t that bad for me, not sure why it gives people 0 fps but I am no gaming enthusiast, I haven’t even launched this game in almost a year. Anyway, switch on DXVK, go to settings on the login screen and switch to Legacy mode. Exit, turn DXVK off and hit No when it asks if you want a reset due to new hardware. That cleared the access violation on startup I was getting.

As per the advice of our friend on Reddit, I’m going to compile my own binaries in a bit and give WoW a test on DX12. If it runs as good as they say it is running, this surprise “optimizaton” might be a blessing in disguise.

That is why the Linux community is cool. I do hope you guys get it going, I didn’t mean to sound rude earlier, I just wanted to make sure you weren’t waiting for Blizzard to do anything, they have kind of made their position on Linux clear in that they will not offer support for it. Good luck.

I am still getting very low FPS and crashes after compiling vkd3d with neccessary patches.

I was having the same issues with wine on Linux after patch 8.1.5 with my AMD card and OSS drivers. The game would crash on startup, couldn’t get to character selection screen or get it to run at all.

There was another update today (Mar 13) - I was hoping that would fix it, but the problem persisted.

What finally fixed it for me was to run winecfg, and change the emulated OS from windows 7 to windows 10. Everything started working perfectly (again) after that.

Wine 4.3 (staging), dxvk 1.0, and using SET gxApi “D3D11” in Config.wtf