Linux Client?

Is there a real reason why Blizz will not support Linux? But supports Winblows and Mac?
Why not support all 3? You would be amazed at the amount of Linux users that would come to WOW.

7 Likes

Most probably because Linux barely supports Linux. Which distribution, in particular, did you want to see binaries for?

In realistic terms, there isn’t anywhere near as much of a market as you might like to think. According to the Steam surveys, Linux (all distros) represents less of a market than 32-bit Windows 7 installs - and it’s a shrinking market (at least with respect to the total number of users, so it could well simply be holding its numbers as the total grows). Granted that some of those are probably not using Linux for compatibility reasons, but even if it doubled it would still only be half of MacOS’s usage (which itself has less total users than just Win8.1 x64).

So what you’re asking for is a fairly monumental branch of the code for a miniscule potential market return. And that’s assuming any return at all, since a large portion of the Linux user base who wants to play probably already does via either Wine or a dual-OS setup. The only benefit would be a very small amount of good will, which may or may not offset the same good will lost by redirecting resources that could serve the existing install base.

4 Likes

I completely disagree with Steams “survey”, that’s very unreliable information.
Again, I disagree with that you are saying there is way less Linux users compared to Mac. It’s not that much different in my opinion. And neither one of us could give a actual number of who uses what OS.
With the way Winblows handles updates and is about to end free support for W7 I believe more folks will come Linux way. Not only for 32 bit support, but for the fact that if you run Linux you decide what updates go to your machine.

You do know that the US government runs Linux? And why would that be? For security…Winblows is vulnerable to malware etc.

But if Blizzard doesn’t want to support Linux won’t hurt my feelings. I can run it just fine on Manjaro (Arch based) with a little tinkering.

1 Like

You do not even have to go by stream. Software companies track that information. Linux is 1.5 percent of market share that includes corporate usage

They actually run windows machines including the military. that is why they pay Microsoft to maintain their older windows computers. They have several contracts to not only maintain old server versions by windows os all the way back to windows XP

Linux is actually on the decline. In its hayday it was at close to 5 percent now its at 1.5. No the end of support will not mean a increase in Linux users.

4 Likes

Or the fact that everytime something breaks in running World of Warcraft on Linux we see maybe 1 thread on it.

if there really were tons of people playing on linux wouldn’t they be flooding the forums with threads everytime wow on linux breaks ?

4 Likes

You are incorrect…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_adopters

U.S.[edit]

Regardless, I was just asking “why” a Linux Client can’t be made available.

1 Like

If there was a Linux client then I’m sure there would be alot more folks running Linux. 99% of the threads in Technical is all Windows based. Just like you can’t run a 32 bit on WOW. But in Linux you can.

Well of course there is. Your in the Tech Support forums , the forums people come to when they have technical issues. For Windows computers since there’s a dedicated forum for Mac users.

2 Likes

First Wikipedia is not a reliable source. Second Out of the ten of thousands of computers the US government uses a few are Linux. Spent a long time in the military while they had specialty computers that used other OS’s. 99 percent of the US government computers are windows based. the 1.5 percent includes government personal and businesses install . Since you use it you feel other do to but its a small group. Most people want something they can take out of the box and everything works on it. Even in its heyday Linux is a pain to configure. Then you have how many distros all different.

3 Likes

Its 1.5 percent of the to OS in use that includes personal installs, Business installs, Government installs, Linux usage flatlines a few years ago and has been declining ever since. Its not worth the development costs for it. in reality if you remove the business and government usage its more like .5 percent .

1 Like

Ok, yall win lol. I’m just a die hard Linux guy.

1 Like

I think game companies (not really directed at Blizz) just have a healthy fear of Linux users. A typical Linux user is more likely going to know how to hack around their system and running software more than any other group. I can’t see them wanting to support it, even if they had a client ready to go.

Use Wine with Lutris. Game works flawlessly.

Make sure dxvk and esync are enabled. Native or near-native performance.

2 Likes

I run Manjaro with all the bells and whistles and the same performance as Winblows. Hopefully todays patch does’t break anything.

1 Like

I had the same hope. Last night was playing 8.1 with wine-staging 4.1 on gentoo. This morning with 8.1.5 it crashes every time within a minute or two after logging in.

2 Likes

It is no longer 1995, it isn’t like that now.

It would be one binary, which would work for OpenSuse/Ubuntu/Debian/Arch etc, the same as with other games.

I’ve been playing with Linux only, since the Burning Crusade expansion. That was when it got good enough that I removed my Vista partition (ew… Vista.!) Go OpenSuse!

Yes, they obviously did something today besides just content patching.

I’m using wine-staging 3.7 in OpenSuse (4.3 was causing a 132 error for me, so I downgraded) up until last night. Today, after the patch, It starts but I get zero FPS so can’t play.

winehq doesn’t have info yet, about the new patch.

This is kind of expected, though, when they make larger changes :wink:
It will probably be fixed when I get home from work.

Then again:

These are people USING the intended operating system :wink:

Yay! got it working again, in OpenSuse Linux, wine-staging 3.7

Turned off anti aliasing (see windows user problem above, may turn it back on later)

In DX option, set to DX 11 LEGACY (in game, under system advanced.)

able to move/play again, in BoreAllUs.

3 Likes

I am in the exact same spot as you. Were you able to solve it?

Same problem here. I’m running wow on linux mint 19.1, everything runs fine for a minute or two, and then a big freeze until crash. Please halp.

Going to the earlier wine staging worked for me, 3.7.

I also disabled add ons, set everything to low, still freezing low fos.

Finally I hit the dx settings, noticed

" Dx 11 legacy" as a second option besides dx 11.

Set it to that, worked.

OpenSuse 15.0

Nvidia 418.43 installed by OpenSuse, Nvidia repository
(Geforce GTX 750 TI, 2 gig)
Kernel 4.12.14-lp150.12.48-default (stock OpenSuse 15.0)

wine-staging-3.7-lp150.1.8.x86_64 ( Downgraded from wine-staging-4.3-lp150.965.1.x86_64.rpm (gave 132 error, even before this patch), these were in the OSS repository(the 3.7, the lower 4.3 also gave me 132), Running game at 64 bit)

wine-staging-32bit-3.7-lp150.1.8.x86_64

Intel something 3200, only dual core CPU =/
8 gig system ram

3 Likes

Tried the legacy setting, still did not work. Gonna see if lowering wine version works, but that would mean no esync.