"LGBT+ Friendly" in RP Profiles

That one player is a demonstration of it’s necessity. At the last couple of Dexcons, you had the option of adding a ribbon with the choice of HE/HIM, SHE/HER, or THEY/THEM on the bottom of your con badge. We also had designated unixex bathrooms as well.

2 Likes

Of course adding “LGBT+ Friendly” is necessary. As for spending a romantic steamy night debating your existence, I can assure y’all, it’s a thing. You practically have to justify every RP choice you make to some of this game’s player base, the toxic masculine ones, and I’ve even seen actual “jokes” about forced sexual encounters, constant mocking of transgender people, constant mocking of any player who is a girl… why are we questioning who’s a ‘real girl or not’ if we’re not on some level transphobic, homophobic, why would it matter to anybody but a toxic masc douche what your ‘real sex is’ when they can just not RP with you?

But I’ve seen many a rollicking chat on Trade in Orgrimmar about how those “nasty LGBT+ people are ‘forcing their politics’ on us,” when WoW has straight romances, and I’ve never heard complaints about them.

In some ways this ‘controversy’ is really like when us girls were clamoring–still clamoring–to be accepted as other players in the game, who are real, who don’t suck or need men to “carry us” and the mostly men came out and said, “Why you gotta declare you’re a girl? You’re just a worse player for being a girl.” To the point this toxic masc stuff has got so bad, some female players play male characters and I don’t and get treated like a nonentity or a sexy distraction IRP. This toxic macho stuff is so bad, it has turned me off a lot from RPing in game. I think a person would have to be willfully blind not to see the constant chats going on where people use every slur in the book to describe LGBT+ people, as if our lives are jokes to them, when we’re just trying to enjoy the game.

2 Likes

I don’t because I haven’t seen the need to on ED. There’s not much ERP in general and if you are hitting that up I imagine you and your friend have some understanding over what you’re after.

When I first saw it I was a little dismayed. Not because ‘muh politics’ but because that implied the existence of some sort of homophobic RP. And I’d hope the general vibe I put out would let people know they wouldn’t have to worry about that sort of thing from me.

3 Likes

How? He made a meme trp poking fun at people who put x friendly in there tags.
Imagine if in my TRP i say " people of color friendly "
obvious eye roll right?
I Dont want to speak on behalf of the rest of lgbtqxyz+ community but i personally just want normality to return.
A world where we dont need " allies " ect ect

1 Like

Which “normality”? I was just watching an episode of “For All Mankind” tonight. in one part a homosexual man and a lesbian woman were forced to marry in order to keep their jobs at NASA. There wasn’t any “allies” back then because you kept yourself in the closet… or else.

In those normal days you miss so much a man was murdered in the Chelsea section of Manhatttan for being out of step with someone’s idea of cis normality.

If this could happen in Chelsea… practically LGBT central on the East Coast, what the hell is it like in FundieLand?

What normality are you missing so badly?

1 Like

You took a gaint leap off of what i said and i dont appreciate it.
Normality isnt the 1920s or the previous 2000’s. normality is just treating us like normal people.
Instead, we have " x friendly " which isnt really treating us normally…

1 Like

Here’s the thing that you don’t seem to get. It’s not yet normal. For a good deal of this country IT NEVER HAS BEEN.

In that pre-Covid-19 normality, we had states pass “Freedom of Religous Expression Acts” which legalised discrimination against non-cis customers.

A state employee used her religion to justify not doing her job to the citizens of her state that did not fit her model of CIS-normality.

Only a few states. (thankfully, New Jersey is one of them) have strong anti-discriminatory laws in place.) But even there de jure protection has not fully evolved into de facto acceptance.

We’ve never had that normality. My grandchildren or their children MAY some day live to see that normality, but it won’t be without a lot of active struggle.

4 Likes

stop looking at the whole country when we are looking at the worlds tiniest bubble. Role playing in world of warcraft.

1 Like

The players in this million plus “tiny bubble” reflect the world they come from.

6 Likes

Sadly, it isn’t standard.

It would be nice if everyone were in a position to do that, but then I think if everyone were in a position to do that, we wouldn’t have these problems. Folks particularly affected by these prejudices probably don’t have the emotional energy to have that conversation with everyone they meet. So, if they have that emotional energy all the time, well, it kinda indicates that they’re not already navigating a world filled with people who aren’t shy about being horrible to them, committing violence against them, etc etc etc.

And honestly, I’m not comfortable with the idea that folks affected by these prejudices should also be the ones tasked with educating the rest of us.

And some folks, regardless of whether they’re personally affected, may just not be good at having those conversations productively. They’re really, really difficult conversations to have if you feel strongly or passionately about the subject.

I don’t put LGBTQAXYZ-friendly in my TRP because I’ve gotten really good at caring for my own boundaries, pretty good at difficult conversations – including calm conversations about this belief or that attitude and why I do or don’t share it (with some exceptions; I do have hot-button issues that I just slam the /ignore function) – and I don’t have a problem shutting someone down if they turn out to be toxic to me. Not everyone is in that position. If I were still a teenager, when I wasn’t any good at enforcing my own boundaries and I also wasn’t any good at difficult conversations, I might well put something in my TRP to indicate “hey, don’t bring your -isms here please” rather than find out only after I’ve been talking with them a while, when it may be way more difficult for me to extricate myself.

5 Likes

Even on a roleplay server, people aren’t usually 100% in character 100% of the time. I’ve never actually met an RPer who did that. So RL attitudes usually come out, and then have to either be accepted, challenged, ignored, or /ignored. And in WoW RP, romantic relationships are really common. So, it does matter.

6 Likes

Just my two cents here, but frankly I couldn’t care less what someone puts in their profile, and neither should anyone else, really. It’s entirely up to them. If it bothers you, the beauty of profiles is that you can just not interact with that person.

4 Likes

if they truly reflect then we are living in a great world. I havent ran into a single issue about my sexuality in this community but maybe thats just me. Who knows

They are difficult but finding the resolve to have those difficult conversations is how we enact change. Through conversation breaking down those walls are pretty easy.

debatable. Many people take to this game to escape the irl politics. plus, if real life attiudes do come out, Navigate around them. push come to shove just /ignore and move on.

ya i can get behind that. its just shady seeing it in profiles. its a major red flag imo

3 Likes

How so? Just curious.

1 Like

Its kinda like how companies do stuff for pride month. Its just a weird statment for social points

3 Likes

I can understand that viewpoint. I don’t think saying lgbtq+ friendly is a bad thing at all, and I don’t think not saying it is a bad thing. As long as both sides are friendly and respectful towards each other. It’s their profile, and they can do whatever they please with it.

3 Likes

leave it to a pandaren monk to speak about zen. 10/10

2 Likes

Since some people here seem very hostile to the simple, support-oriented idea of flagging themselves friends of the LGBT+ community (Can we please have some respect and not just tack on tacky ‘XYZ’ stuff, those are not even letters in the acronym, please?) I won’t respond directly to the hostile posts because I don’t wanna engage those aggressive people. But I will say this:

Nobody is ‘making a grab for social points or talking about politics’ when they say they’re friendly to lesbians, gay men, bisexual people, or transgender people. Your personal life can be political but the entirety of a sexuality or gender in the case of trans people is not political. We have straight love stories in WoW all the time. I’ve never seen one comment about them being ‘weird social points mah politics,’ and you know what else?

I think people who shout down others about just flagging themselves as supportive, which harms nobody, or maybe insinuates in forums that the supportive ones are not LGBT+ or somehow making ‘grabs for social points’ when they’re just showing that they’re of the same stripe as you, they support you, they welcome you to their RP… even if those people are technically Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Trans, they are not friends of others of their stripe. They may even be transphobic, homophobic, biphobic about themselves.

It’s the same deal as preferring romance RPs, dark RPs, action RPs–Our sexuality would come up in a romance RP. May come up indirectly thru bigotry in a dark RP. Action RP is iffier, but if any RP involves any romantic interaction at all, or in the case of trans people they have that difficult talk most trans people dread–because the termites come out of the woodwork and whine about something that isn’t even politics–then it’s gonna come up.

My advice for those 'net tough guys who got their feelings hurt by flagging support for marginalized communities?

Just deal. Please. The vitriol is really unwarranted. It’s not shady, or point-grabbing, or anything but support. And I think those dogged supporters of this “shady LGBT+ people” are actually being toxic and dragging the rest of us down.

5 Likes

we arnt a hive mind. I have my opinions and thats my opinion. i view someone topping there stuff off as " lgbtqxyz+ friendly " as shady.
Butt aight. Nice talk all around. cant really hold a conversation on the forums anyways

Maybe it could be precieved as disrespect but its just a way to shorten it. " XYZ and anything inbetween " to show inclusion to everyone without going through the whole LGBTQQIP2SAA
Depending on the person its longer, depending on the person its shorter, its all depending on the person… not a sign of disrespect…

2 Likes

More likely it’s a trigger on your transphobia.

2 Likes