Leveling on launch

Does anyone have any links to share about human leveling guides? Like an exploration route for early levels while the quests are all bottlenecked

Actually pretty sure someone did the math, its possible to level 1 to 60 on just boars, apparently only takes a little over 18k boars to do it too.

Also ya exploration and fed ex quests will get me to lvl 5 with a nice vendor weapon upgrade, gonna keep testing my route for improvements next stress test but I did a couple runs with it last time. Once you are lvl 5+ there are enough mobs that you should be able to keep leveling somewhere so ya 1-10 is gonna be the only tough spot.

Oh and for everyone who just wants to grind make sure you understand how xp works.
Group xp
1 = 1/1 = 100%
2 = 1/2 = 50%
3 = 1.16/3 = 39%
4 = 1.3/4 = 33%
5 = 1.4/5 = 28%

And mob xp is based on player level(think its avg lvl of group as well) not mob level, for every level above you the mob is its a 5% bonus to base xp, up to 25%

So a group of 5 lvl 1s killing lvl 5-6 mobs only get about 34-35% of the experience that a lvl 1 player would get from killing a lvl 1 mob. Just an FYI.

I have it on good authority that the elwynn auxillary brigade will be mobilized during launch to prevent panic and looting.

I will be at the Goldshire Inn distracting people from leveling with tantalizing conversations.

I’ll be working for tips so if you would like me to slow down as many people as possible. Tip big and tip often.

2 Likes

Just play the Game, don’t worry about levels. Build friendships ect.
The levels will come.

2 Likes

Maybe not but it’s much smoother experience when you’re ahead of the pack. Every expansion blizzard has done I’ve noticed a pattern. You get to cap level quickly and heroic dungeons are smooth and filled with skilled players. Like day 3 to 7. Then they slowly turn into groups where ppl don’t know what to do, do the obvious wrong thing and straight out waste of time with endless wiping by week 2 or 3.

It’s much nicer ahead than behind

1 Like

If you don’t care about it. But some people do.

I am looking for new friends. I want to duo with someone for my first char and then have a predominantly solo alt. Im rolling PvP realm so a right hand man(or woman(myth)) would be awesome!

I don’t play on PvP servers.

Understandable… it can be very chaotic, slow, and nerve wrecking. Progression is skewed, and tempers get raised, a lot.

Capital cities require a skill of 75 to have no fishes “get away”. Initial start zones require a skill of 25 to prevent fishes from “getting away”. You can cast a line and try your luck in either at skill 1.

At skill 1, you can only use the +25 lure. You do need level 10 to train past 75 fishing, and you need 50 skill to use a +50 lure. Whether you fish in the capital largely depends on how much patience you have with the “get aways”.

(You can find internet back ups of El’s Extreme Anglin’ in various places with an exhaustive analysis of fishing. There is a 95 skill point difference between the minimum skill needed to cast a line and the skill required for no fish to get away.)

However, level 5 also has a bunch of quality of life improvements available via professions like getting together in a group of friends and pooling linen cloth to get everyone a set of linen bags via one person having leveled tailoring and getting a wand (lesser magic wand - craftable and equippable at level 5).

Even with layering, there is going to be pretty high competition for mobs. If they shoot for approx 3000 players per “layer pair”, you’re looking at 500 people per starting zone… It’s going to be pretty crazy.

The most effective method seems to be duo leveling. Instead of splitting the EXP 50/50… it actually is reduced only 40%… so 60/60. So each mob is actually giving 120% EXP and you basically have 200% damage/heals.

EDIT: Apparently it is actually 50/50… unless someone can find the data otherwise. Would like to test this during the stress test. Still, even at an even split, the benefits of multi tags, ability to handle larger pulls, and survive accidental pulls will save a good deal of time.

You also have twice the “tagging” chance… and the ability to take on higher level mobs.

There are some that will use the exploration method whereby you just explore the first few zones to gather EXP that way. i.e. there are some that do the Wetlands run from Darnassus to Iron Forge and get to level 5 by the time they get there.

Because people will do a combination of these methods it will help reduce the number of people doing any one of them.

My recommendation? Be flexible in your plan. If you find when you log in that you are not getting tags at all… move to the farthest area you can while still being able to kill mobs 1 on 1 (or 2 on 1 if you are duo leveling) Kill ALL mobs not just quest mobs. Sometimes just moving to the next area and killing mobs that are higher level mobs for the next set of quests will work. Yes grinding is slower normally… but if people are fighting for qmobs for the lower quests… this may let you level up faster.

If you can do a quest… do it… if it’s a kill 10 quest and see a bunch of people killing them… skip it. The time you waste fighting over them could be used killing mobs others are not trying to kill (yet).

The exploration method may not be a bad idea either in that you will definitely fall behind a little… but then have your city connections in place. There are also very easy courier quests you can do that will help boost the exp while you do this. But again… anytime you are in areas where you CA kill mobs… kill them. EXP is what you want… and EXP is the rare commodity… so take it where you can find it.

Finally… everyone will be in the same boat. Some will break ahead of the pack early on… others will get mired in the bloody mass of players/mobs.

It really won;t make that much of a difference in the end. There will a first to 60 ding. Followed by a few more… .then dozens more, then hundreds, then thousands.

The first will have a small advantage… but not that much.

My advice? Play at launch… kick, fight, and scratch for everything you can and bask in the excitement of being in a brand new Azeroth.

1 Like

That is how it works now in retail.

IIRC, that is NOT how it worked during vanilla. If memory serves, you had to have the required skill for a given body of water or you could not even cast.

Patch 3.1 removed the need for minimum skill.

Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): Fishing has undergone significant changes.

• There is no longer a minimum skill requirement to fish in any zone. Every catch has the potential for fishing skill gains, but you are likely to catch worthless junk in areas that are too difficult for your skill.
  • The time to catch fish has been reduced to 17 seconds, down from 22.
  • Fish can no longer get away.
  • It is no longer required to complete Nat Pagle, Angler Extreme to gain Artisan Fishing.
  • You no longer need to learn fishing from books. The trainers have finally done their reading and are able to teach you the same thing.
2 Likes

I don’t think you understand me.

Both the initial starting zone (let’s say Elywnn Forrest) and capital city (Stormwind) can be fished at skill level 1 of fishing. Elywnn has a minimum skill requirement of less than skill 1 and a skill required to prevent “get aways” of 25 skill. Stormwind also has a minimum skill requirement of less than 1 but a skill required to prevent “get aways” of 75.

A starting fisherman, in Elywnn Forest, will have one or two fish get away before reaching skill level 25 (where he is going to catch 100% of the fish that bite). A starting fisherman, in Stormwind, will have many fish “get away” greatly slowing down his progress.

Yes, there is a minimum skill to cast, but that number is less than 1 until you get to Westfall. (I am using all human zones for simplicity).

In retail, you do not have “get aways”. However, the lures have be depreciated along with the changes of skill, and it is not possible for a beginning fisherman in Elywnn Forest to use a lure and prevent catching junk (the modern equivalent of getting away).

So lets say 3000 people per layer. Time people start reaching level 20 they will have around 8 zones per faction so 16 zones and 4 different dungeons thats like 150 people per zones if you get equal distribution (however we all know zones like westfall and barrens will have alot more). If there are 20 areas for questing per zone your looking at only like 7 other people in the same quest area as you. If you figure 5-10% are going to grind mobs away from questing locations you might have 5. It gets way less congested by time people start reaching 30.

One of us is remembering incorrectly.

My memory is that the capitol cities had a minimum skill of 75, not 1.

Capitol cities are different zones than the 1-10 zone in which they are located.

I’m not in the BETA, so I cannot verify which one of us is remembering correctly. Perhaps someone with access to the BETA or the next stress test can do a test and confirm which of us us correct.

If I am remembering incorrectly, I will stand corrected and apologize for my mistake. I hope you do the same if it turns out that I am correct.

I apologize if I am mistaken, but my understanding is that layers are continent wide and not worldwide.

If I am correct and there are 3000 people per layer, that would be 6000 people in the world, meaning an even distribution would have 1000 players per starting area.

Beta is over, I was not in it. I tested the “whether to buy a lure or not” in the stress tests. I decided that the 2ish fish that got away wasn’t worth the copper on the lure.

El’s Extreme Anglin’ is defunct but was for many years the premier authority on fishing in WoW. Since the internet is forever, there are archives. Some of these archives are associated with websites promoting non-Blizzard servers, so I won’t direct you to them. Some are just internet archives.

I will copy/paste the information that El wrote about Vanilla fishing.

Each area has a base skill requirement to fish in. If you do not meet this requirement, you can’t even cast a line ((you will be told that you don’t have sufficient skill to fish there when you first try and cast)). However, having sufficient skill to cast a line is not the only limitation. If your skill is less than about base skill requirement plus 95, you will find a proportion of your fish “get away” – the bobber splashes, but no fish are hooked. Assume that if you are only about 45 or 50 skill points above the base skill requirement, around half your fish will get away.

A fish that gets away gains you nothing: Neither the fish, nor an improved skill. Fish that get away increase the average amount of time for each catch. If you are catching something particularly valuable, you may be prepared to accept a proportion will get away. Normally avoid fish “getting away”.

There are some incredibly detailed lists of what fishing skill is recommended to fish in what area. After considerable research, I believe the table below summarises the base fishing skill requirements of zones accurately.

Zone Fishing Skill|Base Fishing Skill Required|Zones|
| — | — |
|<1 (-70?)|Dun Morogh, Durotar, Elwynn Forest, Mulgore, Teldrassil, and Tirisfal Glades.|
|<1 (-20?)|The Barrens, Blackfathom Deeps, Darkshore, Darnassus, The Deadmines, Loch Modan, Orgrimmar, Silverpine Forest, Stormwind City, Thunder Bluff, The Wailing Caverns, and Westfall.|
|55|Ashenvale, Duskwood, Hillsbrad Foothills, Redridge Mountains, Stonetalon Mountains, and Wetlands.|
|130|Alterac Mountains, Arathi Highlands, Desolace, Dustwallow Marsh, Scarlet Monastery, Stranglethorn Vale, Swamp of Sorrows, and Thousand Needles.|
|205|Azshara, Felwood, Feralas, The Hinterlands, Maraudon, Moonglade, Stranglethorn Vale (Jaguero Isle only), Tanaris, The Temple of Atal’Hakkar, Un’Goro Crater, and Western Plaguelands.|
|330|Azshara (Bay of Storms, Hetaera’s Clutch and Scalebeard’s Cave only), Burning Steppes, Deadwind Pass, Eastern Plaguelands, Feralas (Jademir Lake only), Scholomance, Silithus, Stratholme, Winterspring, and Zul’Gurub.|

Remember these are the minimum skills required to cast a line. To fish without any “get-aways”, you will need to add 95 to the base skill requirement.

It sounds like it may be worth while to focus on secondary professions like fishing as well. Im hanging a little on rolling on an RP realm now. Since normal realms are kind of “meh” to me. Its a toss up, RP or PvP realm, and definetly RPPVP IF its available.

If that Is correct, then you are wrong that 75 fishing skill will prevent fish “getting away” in capitol cities as that would only be a 75 skill difference and not the required 95 skill difference.

I did notice that the capitol cities are not on that list, despite them being different zones.