Leveling just 1 or 2 pets per battle, which gives more xp?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows if it’s more efficent leveling 2 at once?

I done some quick test on some trainers and looks like it does give more xp for leveling just 1 at a time. Looks to me like I get less than half xp when I have 2 in at once but then again it seems to me like they get more when they are the last one left (Explode and kill both leaving only the leveling pet) BUT I can’t find any information and all the guides are “how to level faster”

My question is does anyone have any more info on exactly how battlepet xp works and specifically with 2 pets vs 1?

Afaik it’s split between the two pets, so it’ll take roughly the same number of battles to level them both to max as it would to just do them one at a time.

2 Likes

The total XP your pets will get during a battle depends on the difference between levels of your carry pets and the level of the team you’re fighting. If you have two non-25 pets at the same level, they each get exactly half the XP that one would get backed by two 25’s.

Couple of examples from recent testing (this with the Safari Hat on) :

Against Jawbone in Bastion, a 25. This on a day when Jawbone isn’t a WQ.
Two 20’s and a 25 on your team. Both get 435 XP.
One 20 and two 25’s. The 20 gets 870 XP.

Against a 25 wild pet team in Valley of the 4 Winds.
Two 20’s and a 25 on your team. Both get 1196 XP.
One 20 and two 25’s. The 20 gets 2392 XP.

It will start getting a little more complicated with two carry pets at different levels. Total pet XP from a battle gets calculated on how much lower your guys are than the team they’re fighting. If you’re carrying a 20 and a 21, the 20 gets more XP and the 21 gets less. In the Jawbone fight mentioned above, the 20 gets 438 and the 21 gets 403.

Bottom line, doesn’t seem to be any overall advantage to leveling one or two pets at the same time.

EDIT: Did some testing when one or two of your carry pets dies. You always lose in this case. Dying means they only get half the XP they’d get if they survived.

2 Likes

Another mathematical issue to consider: Battle pets level on a parabolic curve (levels 1 and 20 get the same exp from the same level 25 battle, levels 10 and 11 give the same and the highest). Therefor there could sometimes be weird EXP breakpoints that differ between levelling them in two’s versus one.

There’s also practical implications. Even if it is mathematically faster one way, you still have to consider how fast the leveling strat is due to number of rounds, durations of ability animations (some are slower than others), elemental effects (lightning storm slows some down), the pets you have available to perform the strat and the addon/ui setup you use.

My own personal experience lends to single carry pets, rather than 2. But that’s just because the fastest leveling strats I am able to perform all do single pets. Even oddrog (which is super fast) is slightly faster using the baby ape strat (1 carry pet) vs the xufu strat (2 carry pets), for me. But that is in my experience using my setup and my pet stable. Mileage may vary.

2 Likes

Thank you all so much for the fedback. This might sound wierd but I’m feeling burnt out after going for KSM this season (Returned from 8.2 at the end of 9.1.5 but didn’t buy SL until 9.2) BUT am absolutely loving battlepets and am spending so much time doing battles and adding strategies on Xu-Fu.

That info is awesome! Thank you so much for it. I was thinking the same after doing a bit more testing myself a couple of hours ago this morning when I couldn’t sleep last night. At first I was under the impression they got more xp when you’re other pets were all dead and it was the only 1 alive but it’s not that way either.

Edit: I did read somewhere that suggested due to xp caps etc that levleing a 2 pet strategy would take 9 battles yet doing them individually would take the 5 battles each. BUT now with you’re info I think that is due to going to level 25 and not getting the full amount of xp possible.

What I was doing where possible and mostly on beasts leveling pets I’ve been trying to come up with 1 pet win with an explosion finish but after actually doing them I have to agree with @Jere in a way. While there might be some advantage to the 2 leveling pets it quite often quicker using the 1.

2 Likes

Unless you’re truly interested in doing a pet battle every day or something like that, I would at least suggest (in case you aren’t aware) to just get the addon “Rematch”, store up a huge list of pets you want to level… and just wait for Squirt.

You want to talk about “maximizing efficiency?” Then why even bother on anything else but Squirt? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup got it. It’s honestly the best Addon out there. It is at least for BP but it’s amazing and couldn’t live without it TBH.

Before I would just do it casually but wanted to do it more, now with this life is so easy. I’m just starting to get into TD scripts as well. Not as awesome and probably a QoL thing as I spend more time writing original scripts than the amount of mistakes but I enjoy writing code although not very good at it :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s actually quite fun coming up with strategies and scripts so I’m actually kind of excited for the next expac so I can come up with some extra original ones :slight_smile: