Leveling as a 42 frost mage

I’m currently leveling as a single target build. So I’m leveling a 42 mage with 2 lvl 40 in tanaris. Now that I just got here I’m doing ok but when you ask for a lvl 60 you can obviously wipe out packs quickly. The issue is that I feel like I’m going to outlevel each zone considering quests only give 20% or exp.Does it make more sense to lvl solo or group up?

Do this, i did it at 42 and was getting massive xp 150-200k xp/hour

2 Likes

Don’t do that. I have leveled as single target too.

You won’t out level zones now, you’ll actually bounce between zones to do quests now.

I’ve found that in Classic I have to bounce between 2-3 zones, in order to do a lot of quests. Each zone has some my level, then some more 5 levels higher. It seems to be true all over, at least in levels 1-42.

That changed later on in retail, so you could stay in 1 zone.

A mix of both. There are leveling guides out there, to help you, level through pure questing. Especially, if people are having issues finding a group.

Just do this. I did zf zombies from 42-52 in one day

1 Like

Can confirm, I did it as well. There’s nothing faster. In fact, it’s so fast that after you’re done in there it feels bad leveling at a “normal” speed.

1 Like

I would advise against leveling as a single target spec for any mage. Reason being that you learn so much more about your class when you’re utilizing multiple abilities on every pull and pushing yourself to do more.

You won’t learn to play mage by spamming frostbolt over and over for 60 levels. If you want to really learn to play the class, there’s nothing better than playing an AoE spec and pushing the class to its boundaries.

That being said if you want to level single target spec I’d suggest downloading a questie type addon and enabling world wide ‘!’ feature. It’ll be easy to find out which zones have the most quests and when you can/should pick them up.

I leveled as a single target frost mage—you can still walk away with a lot of skill and knowledge of your class if you try and juggle 2-3 mobs using sheep and frost nova. Timing your CoC’s w/ frost nova and shatter (if you took it) and tab targeting between those mobs. I essentially tried to at least 2v1 in every situation.

In fact, the single-target frost build can be more complex IMO—because it’s what you will be PvPing with essentially until you can take the dual elementalist route. And the PvP ceiling is much higher than the PvE one.