Leveling 50-60, access to dungeon given and then taken away?

So, first time leveling up a char in SL from 50-60

making my way through bastion I got a dungeon quest, ok, so I queued up and did that, while leveling in bastion I did that dungeon one or two more times. ok cool.

then later in maldraxis I get another dungeon quest, look in the dungeon tool and … I have no access to dungeons? the prior dungeon (in bastion) isn’t even in the list? like, it’s not that it’s locked, it’s simply not there.

seems odd

is dungeon access tightly restricted when going through this story mode? if so, bit too much anti-sandbox there maybe.

so eventually I’ve found my way over to arden, and the dungeon list changed again?

is this normal?

There are some dungeons in Shadowlands that require unlocking via the story progression. Some also have specific level requirements and you can outlevel them.

More info found here:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/11654

2 Likes

outlevel access to a dungeon in current content?

ok. that’s ridiculous.

edit: w/r/t/ being able to queue

1 Like

Does the ilevel of your gear matter? Could he have equipped something lower level and then it was gone because he didn’t meet minimum gear requirement? Or is that only for heroic?

iLvl matters once you hit 60. Until then, it is your characters level that matters as to if you have access to a particular dungeon or not.

It’s happened before. IIRC, in WoD you would loose log access to the level 91 dungeon at 93 or so.

1 Like

It has been that way since Cataclysm, which is the first expansion after the Looking for Group dungeon matchmaker was introduced. Once you outleveled Wrath, its dungeons were no longer eligible for LFG.

It’s never been otherwise.

1 Like

this is about current content dungeons while leveling in current content at the appropriate level range. the (normal) dungeon was listed, I did it twice maybe three times, and then I progressed a little in the story and then it was unavailable.

it’s something to do with some anti-sandbox story reasoning. no I don’t feel like teasing out exactly what the triggers were, I’m already 60 and doing heroics. it was just a weird (and unnecessary) thing to encounter. maybe it was unintentional, who knows.

When you hit 60 and join a covenant, you instantly get access to all the normal dungeons back (but the ilvl requirements are higher than the “levelling” versions. I find it to be a bit annoying myself and hope that they will change it, so that you don’t “outlevel” the levelling versions until you hit 60 and unlock the regular ones.

My main issue is how unintuitive the system is, and how there is ZERO explanation of how it works. No other expansion has worked like this.

1 Like

Your ilvl needs to be 80 to queue for a 50-60 Shadowlands dungeon