Let’s discuss warlocks please

Somebody doesn’t want loot competition. This isn’t even remotely accurate…

5 Likes

Warlocks were considered very weak in early vanilla, but the subsequent patches (particularly the class rework in 1.6) buffed the class significantly. As they exist in 1.12, they are an extremely efficient leveling class with their voidwalker pet. They bring lots of group utility in parties and raids and are generally welcome in any group. Because of the debuff limit, choice of spec at 60 will be limited in ‘hardcore’ groups.

Lol, so much mis-information here…
“Alliance didn’t have warlocks”
“Classic mages weren’t that great in PVP”…
You people couldn’t have played Vanilla, you have no idea what you’re talking about…

@OP
Locks were bad A$$ in Vanilla. You just had to put in a little effort to learn the intricacies of the class. NF/SL was my favorite. If you put in the time, you’ll love the power the class brings.

3 Likes

I don’t know mage was great in PvP during classic in my opinion. Druids would constantly shift out of any freezing effects so you couldn’t shatter them and well warlocks were plain impossible for me in 90% of situations same with shadow priest. Besides those 3 you had a very good chance. Rogues and warriors were a total joke.

I honestly don’t think you know what you’re talking about.

I just assumed he was joking kinda?

On a different note… professions? Engineering/tailoring seems the “best” overall. Tailoring for the bloodvine set bonus whenever that becomes available and engineering for dapper charges and pets. Honestly though I always liked having a character with enchanting to avoid hunting down someone to enchant my stuff every time I got an upgrade and being able to disenchant bop items from solo instance farms was nice. And leveling/maintaining engineering without mining seems like a huge expense.

Not sure if I’ll be able to bring myself to go gnome. Would I be gimping myself massively in raids going human with tailoring/enchanting over a gnome with 315 engineering/tailoring? I know it wouldn’t be the min/max ultimate best big hotdog route to go but… being a gnome just isn’t my thing. Played a gnome rogue in vanilla and I regretted it after a while.

Unless you picture yourself in a bleeding-edge, race-for-server-first kind of hardcore guild, I wouldn’t bother with maximizing your race. Play the race you want.

That’s what I figured. Thinking about it now… my human male mage usually ended up looking retarded. Going to have to think on it. Orc is definitely the coolest looking warlock race in my opinion but I will definitely be going alliance so not really an option for me. Thanks!

Depends on what you’re going for. Engineering has the OP toys for PvP. Tailoring allows you to make your own gear, and being able to make bags is a license to print money. Enchanting is tough as balls to level up, but people will LOVE you when you can put on the high-level enchants on their gear. Remember, there’s none of the enchanting vellum in Classic (that was introduced in Wrath) so you can’t just buy the enchants off the AH. If you’re looking to be in raiding, Alchemy is ALWAYS going to be welcome.

Personally, if you’re going to go with two production professions, I would go with Tailoring/Enchanting, since you can go out and grind for mats (not easily, but you can), while you can’t pick herbs or mine ore without the professions. Honestly, I would probably choose one production and one gathering profession. Even if your production is something like Tailoring or Enchanting, a gathering profession will help a TON in getting the gold you need to buy recipes, or supplement mats.

Yes that’s my main concern with going tailoring/engineering. I’d imagine the cost of maintaining engineering would be massive since you would have to rely solely upon the AH for any mining stuff you’d need for sapper charges and grenades.

Tailoring/enchanting really seems like the only reasonable option for dual crafting because they can both be self sufficient on their own just like you said. And yup having to rely on other people and putting your item in the trade window to be enchanted can be a pita. Getting a new item and spamming in trade for an hour to get your sweet new item enchanted is a bummer.

But losing out on those sweet sapper charges or eng pets in raids would be a big time bummer. I guess just offering up some free enchants to guild members when they get a new piece of loot during raid would help everyone to see past your lower dps.

You don’t get all those at the same time. I did play them. Wrong pet = dead.

Mage doesn’t have that handicap, and can get out of sh** with ice block and blink.

I don’t care what you play. Warlock is fun class too. But in pvp they are garbage.

I think it’s pretty widely thought that warlock was one of the best PvP classes. Mage was strong too but I think most people would agree warlock was even better.

1 Like

It’s from days when people sucked at pvp. I remember I could cast fear on rogue who opened on me and never bothered kicking, she was spamming SS. Healers didn’t bother healing till they were at 10% health, warriors who didn’t break fear lol.

Today, especially on pservers, they don’t bring locks to organized pvp, too vulnerable and crap damage outside destro. It’s all mages, elemental shamans, and warriors. Everyone else gets foddered.

DS/ruin and DM/ruin out preform sm. Sm/ruin was top dog until 1.7. DS still uses corruption with 5 suppression. DS has cheaper shadowbolts and much much stronger lifetap, a ds can fit in 20-30 more shadowbolts over a 3 min fight than an sm who uses gcds on dot’s weaker than shadowbolts. DM/ruin has a god mode succy and equal burst to ds because that succy is going to be 15% of your damage. It’s down side is weak lifetaps. Take into account with DS/ruin your pet wont die, your’e more effitient meaning less time spent on lifetap, and have have 5% more shadow damage than sm, it’s the clear winner. And on top of all of it you get imp HS and more stamm.

When you say dm/ruin I assume you’re talking about “master demonologist” talent?

That does look interesting and I guess there are times you could keep the imp out for dark pact and reduced threat. Or switch to the succubus as you said and get the 10% dmg boost if you think they won’t die.

Do you even take the demonic sacrifice talent in this build? It does seem to give you a lot of options but is that really better than picking one thing and optimizing for it?

You take DS but don’t use it, you get imp succy and use imp lash of pain in the destro tree with the 10% damage buff for all spells with the MD buff. It’s also better than sm for pvp. Seduce and send a 2k sb crit their way.

Well thanks for making me aware of this build. Perhaps I just missed it in the guides ive been looking at. Really just seems like a matter of if you can actually manage to keep your pet alive or not.

Any idea of how much health/resistances a succubus has at level 60 before any talents?

This is pretty significantly inaccurate.

Is the same damage as SM but you gimp your affliction spell range, lose nightfall, lose coex, lose instant corruption, lose suppression (which via reducing resist chance on affliction spells basically doubles your fear spell’s effective duration), lose imo life tap’s efficiency gain, and now depend on your succubus staying alive (also you turn lash of pain off for pvp or macro toggle , your pet can ignore a command to cast seduce while on gcd from casting lash, and that can get you killed)

Md/ruin is a pve build, and a terrible one that is only used when you massively out gear a tank without thunderfury and need the threat reduction from MD-imp so badly that you can also afford to lose 10%shadow damage and still break the aggro ceiling.

You won’t ever use md/ruin with a succubus in pve, she dies way too fast/easily to cleave (pets had no protection against that in OG)

Well you certainly highlighted a lot of the downfalls of that spec. Sm/ruin does seem like the safe bet.

regardless of MD/Ruins shortcomings DS/Ruin preforms better in pve than sm/ruin for a litany of reasons. who care about dot range move forward. Instant corruption isn’t that great it’s a short cast only slightly longer than gcd. DS/Ruin has stronger life taps and reduced mana cost sb’s, sb’s which do more damage than all dot’s but corruption. So rather than wasting gcd’s on crap dots you blast them relentlessly lifetapping less sending more spells. It’s like Adding haste as a stat as the end result.