Let’s discuss warlocks please

Also don’t forget to level up wand. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

you always have to use a threat meter because lock has no way to mitigate aggro, that’s why they loose out to mage and rogues dps. Lock can’t burst and go invis.

Neither can mages in Classic. Invisibility was added in BC.

4 Likes

I think in 2004 beta, mages had invisibility. Which is why warlocks came with a detect invisibility spell

I think the selling point of Warlocks in Classic is that they have builds that are good in BGs, 5 man dungeons and raids. Which means you don’t rack up massive gold bills switching talents every time you go from PvP to PvE content. While they aren’t the best at any one thing, they bring enough to be useful in every situation. Also, the class in general has a rather nice flavor in classic with your demon quests and epic mount quest (outside of the other class quests). I have a feeling that Warlocks will be one of the more popular pure DPS classes in Classic.

1 Like

Warlocks are nonviable in classic, their dps is lower than feral druids. Pick another class. Pick a Ret paladin or a Hunter.

2 Likes

Yeah they removed it in Beta and brought it back in BC. So I guess mages have to wand like warlocks to bring down their threat but frost mages have Iceblock at least if they pull aggro and don’t get one shot.

The selling point to me when I started the game was that they were sort of underdogs and the least played of all the casters. But they got buffed and became the one of the strongest overall PvP classes.

1 Like

We’ll be running with a Prot Pally for Salv and using 5/5 DM for the extra 20% reduction-dungeons of course but we do have some threat mitigation, just not a dump

Uh…no.

Regardless, most characters at max, in a raid, are spamming something.

Warlocks are a phenomenal PvE and PvP class. Easily the best dueling class in the right hands and still more than capable of 1v#. I just refuse to play one because when I do every win feels super hollow because it’s just easy, man.

1 Like

That’s a weird way to spell Create Healthstone.

Create Healthstone

Create Healthstone

Create Healthstone

Create Healthstone

Create Healthstone

Ritual of Summoning

Create Healthstone…

10 Likes

Honestly? When I first started playing back in TBC, I was a solo player. Part of that was because I was because I was (and still am) really introverted, but also I was on a crap internet connection, so too much going on would lag me out. As in, I couldn’t even try for raids until much later, because my connection would have a conniption fit in Shadowfang Keep, much less Black Temple.

In my view, there are really only three classes that are perfect for solo players (aside from people who really, really love stealth): Paladins, Druids, and Warlocks. The first two are easy to see, as they both have tanking, healing, and DPS capabilities. However, a Warlock, especially a Demonology Warlock is great for when you need a pocket tank out in the world, while still melting faces. The self-heal abilities (including both the health and mana stealing possibilities) makes you surprisingly durable for a cloth-wearer when you’re doing PvE.

4 Likes

you’re clipping corruption by like an entire shadowbolt cast doing that though, you can fit 6 2.5 second casts in 1 corruption window

1 Like

Man that sounds awful negative. I’d assume curses, soul stones, and summons by themselves make up for the sub par dps? It also seems like in later tiers warlocks can pull some pretty decent numbers.

1 Like

Warlocks weren’t about pure DPS. Their Affliction spells might not do a great deal of damage, but they could be debilitating if used right. Destruction could be powerful, but wasn’t usually a Warlock’s main bag. And having your demons with you could provide some extra DPS, or give you some extra CC, or extra tanking, or some interrupt ability, depending on who you brought to the party. Healthstones, Drain Life, and other abilities gave them some fairly decent self-healing abilities, which took some of the burden off healers.

In groups, a Warlock basically makes everyone else’s job easier. Sure, they don’t have top DPS, but they dropped the enemy’s resistances. And if adds come, their voidwalker can help pull them from the group while the tank keeps on the boss. And being able to self-heal means the Healer runs out of mana less. Not to mention a soulstone on the healer or tank to keep everyone in the fight longer.

Last night, someone in my guild discord actually stated that in AQ and Naxx it’s better to stack mages than to have warlocks and spriests. Yes, they lumped locks in with shadow priests and suggested getting rid of us.

Is this even a thing beyond some speed-running tactic, maybe? I thought the locks’ DPS scale well with gear. But I’d think that even it doesn’t, you’d still want a couple of locks simply for the utility alone.

I’d just assume at least one for curse of elements to buff the mages dps would validate your spot?

Kind of off topic but I was curious if the succubus seduce was/could be a reliable cc in 5/10 man dungeons?

There’s a YouTube video of a lock using succ seduce in one of the SM dungeons (Armory, I think?) to great effect.

Nice. I think a deep affliction build taking dark pact and buffing your imp in demonology tree with improved imp and fel intellect. He would provide your group with an even better blood pact buff and be maxed out on mana for you to dark pact. Could even grab 3 points in improved succubus to increase duration of seduce when needed.

Do you have any opinion on improved drain life and fel concentration? It’s a hefty point investment but I’d imagine it would be great for solo grinding? But picking up those 2 talents plus all the other must haves in affliction and if you also wanted to pick up curse of exhaustion you could easily end up around 40 points deep into that tree.