"let gear be gear" wont work with current stats

It would be too boring.

No stats reforging to tweak gear, tons of stats were removed down to most basic ones, all resistances gone, gems and enchants also toned down to below1% on very few pieces, procs are rare and not even better than flat stats.

At this point gear could be just ilvl number and it wont change a thing.

To have “let gear be gear” gear itself on BASE LEVEL should be interesting.

But it will be ruined by legendaries again, and then in 9.1/9.2. they’ll introduce another form of borrowed power.

1 Like

It’s so sad to see people latching onto these buzzwords. You should try getting your own opinion, it would be more helpful than just regurgitating gripes you’ve read and watched over the past week.

1 Like

I agree, but don’t like your phrasing. The whole borrowed power buzzword is getting old.

There should totally be more variation in stats though. Right now everything feels homogenous to the point where the character’s main stat just exists as “you do more damage with this stat, it is on every piece”. So, you’re right, it may as well just have an ilvl number.

Right now every piece is Stamina, Main Stat (which all pieces usually have all of them), and 2 secondary stats. It’s very standardized, and boring.

Bring back spirit, and the tertiary stats from WoD, those were neat Armor Pen, Resil, PvP Power. Gear needs to be identifiable and meaningful. You don’t need to put main stat on every piece of armor we have, either. There needs to be more variance in things so pieces are all compelling for different reasons.

5 Likes

Spirit is kind of redundant now, and having that on gear just locks out those pieces for 2/3 specs. So I would rather not have that back.

Tertiary stats are still around, and will continue to exist going into Shadowlands. Only problem with them is how random it is to get them, even if they all are just “nice to have” effects (like life steal and no durability loss).

PvP-specific stats would be nice to add on top of gear that originates from PvP, but having it be a replacement for already existing secondaries would make them worthless in PvP due to how valuable secondaries are.

Armor Pen and other stats are sort of in the same boat as the above, the loss of valuable secondary stats wouldn’t be worth it in the grand scheme of things.

For me personally, how gearing is shaping up in Shadowlands is gonna be perfect for me, as now I can just go out and get them properly stated pieces to stack the secondaries I want most (and maybe along the way try and stack some tertiary stats). Dumping more item variations into the pool just dilutes it and makes the grind more tedious.

They also experimented with more “creative” items in Crucible of Storm, with most pieces losing a secondary in exchange for a passive or active effect. Pretty much all of those were viable for a very long time, even into 8.2 for a while (I remember wearing the same CoS pants for 1.5 raid tiers because the effect was so good it wasn’t replaceable until I got a piece 50+ ilvl higher than it.)

Only thing I wish to see is some way to apply tertiary stats to gear, so I can have my high Haste LS Shaman that gets tons of passive healing while casting super fast.

More =/= better, sometimes less is more.

I just don’t get why gear has to have all these talent trees and special effects and mega death beams, and wild whacky effect and crap.

Like damn Blizzard, just give me some Crit Haste gloves with +120 armor pen and i’m fine. I promise I’m not gonna quit.

Completely agree.

Remember when Agility gave CRIT to warriors?
Bring back hybrid stats and gear.

1 Like

Just bring back proper enchants, armour kits etc and put a gem slot on everything. But make all gems the odd stats like avoidance, leech etc with each being a different color and make the slots color specific again.

Profs can be useful again and gearing can take a little thought but not have power swings because the random effect on your upgrade isn’t as good as the one you already have.

1 Like

Yet it would still be better than this flaming pile of garbage

it will be better from getting gear and balance perspective. But it will be boring as hell.

it’s not interesting now either

let it be a stat stick, dude, you aren’t supposed to drool over every piece

I miss reforging. Yeah, I used an addon and copy pasted my parameters from other people. I still enjoying setting all of that up. Now that simming is more accessible it would be neat to see what kind of breakpoints people could discover.

it’s interesting to pull ridiculous numbers and oneshot people in pvp

1 Like

for like 30 minutes, then you don’t have anything to do because content just became trivial

I want fun encounters not gear and rotations.

I love how any popular opinion becomes “not your own opinion.

Buzzwords as you call them are popular for a reason.

1 Like

The problem with what we have now is the requirement to sim everything.

At least with socketed gear and reforging, you could buy some gems from the AH and beat on a dummy to test out your mad-genius idea.

Now it’s too expensive and time consuming to collect all the different pieces of gear you need to test anything. What if I stack haste? What if I stack crit? How will my rotation feel if I go against all the meta guides and try this combination instead?

Gear customization should be the end game - not random effects and procs.