Less people enjoyed TBC than I expected. What would have taken it from okay to great?

Dual Spec
LFD/RDF
Achievements
Awarding 2 Spirit Shards for completing the “Spirits of Auchindoun” daily
WoTLK Resilience

1 Like

It just felt like it had too many shortcomings present in vanilla around class design and none of the benefits of modern WoW.

It ended up being a really bad weird middle ground.

I’d say that I remembered TBC somewhat fondly but it’s pretty clear to me now that it wasn’t a very good expansion.

I overrated Wrath as well, but class design is leagues upon leagues superior.

What I ended up realizing is that the pvp was nowhere near as fun as I remembered. Understandable though, because the environment for competitive games at the time was nothing like its present self, so the standards were ‘lower’.
The thing is, I actually ended up enjoying vanilla way more than I ever would have thought, and despite how unbalanced the pvp was, I found it to be significantly more fun than TBC, I guess because of the scale of it, the world dynamics (no flying, more condensed world, more incentive to be in the world), no resilience, and the fact that there’s so much jank (via items) that you can kind of overcome the balance to an extent.

I think some of those “shortcomings” are related to TBC still trying to hold on to the RPG feel, but I guess I can see your point.

Also, Vanilla and TBC seem to be designed to feel almost like turn based RPGs like Final Fantasy. They weren’t designed to have very high APM, and they weren’t designed to be mechanically hard. They were designed to be “RPG hard” in that the solution to being stuck on something was usually higher numbers.

I’m not sure that you’re correct about this.

In fact, I’m quite sure that you’re not, but don’t really think one opinion would necessarily be better than the next.

Attunements were garbage.
Leveling was way too slow.
Nothing was shared between characters.
Class balance was garbage.
Tons of specs still very useless.
BT had WAY too much trash.
Hyjal is the worst raid ever created.
Phase 1 was boring.
Phase 2.5 was a disgrace.
Arena comps are known and boring.
No RDF, No cross server anything.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, no dual spec. DUH

Simple to answer. The players were beggimg for dual spec and RDF. Those two thimgs would have taken tbc to the next level.

Tbc was/is my favorite expansion of all time. But the lack of dual spec ruined it this time for me.

They also would have to either nerf palidan tanking or buff warrior aoe tanking. The palidan dominance was a little rediculous.

Beyond that, i think its the same for every exoansion including wotlk… we need something to do that isnt required. I dont know what. Maybe houses that we can spend time on. Like garrisons. And now that i see what is really happening, i know now that the thought that ppl didnt get out into the world because of garrisons in wod was bs. Ppl dont get out more. They log off. Garrisons didnt hurt anything.

2 Likes

You do realize that your “favorite expansion of all time” didn’t have dual spec, yeah?

1 Like

I understand the difference.

My favorite expansion is legion even though the legendary system was garbage RNG.

I still love the expansion though.

In terms of time spent, definitely. But in terms of breaking things down systematically, using more sophisticated tools and programs, and looking at things in more of a numbers sense than anything else? I’d disagree.

I was there on Elitist Jerks taking part in discussions on theorycrafting in the early days, and no doubt, people were super sweaty then. But it’s just different now. Maybe it’s the fact that Blizzard isn’t as free to make changes to Wrath now as they were then, so certain degen behaviors can’t be discouraged as much. Or maybe it’s the fact that the most commonly used tools are so much more accessible these days?

I remember when simulationcraft had to be downloaded and run on your own machine, and it hardly had a user-friendly GUI. Now the same tools are hosted online and give you so much more granular control, but with less difficulty than before. Same thing with WeakAuras. I remember when WeakAuras was basically just created as a lite version of PowerAuras and mostly meant to put stuff on your screen to help you visualize procs or show you alerts when you were standing in fire. And now it’s grown into something that people are genuinely pushing the limits of ToS with writing LUA scripts and stuff. And on top of all that, it’s so simple and easy to to import someone else’s WeakAura, the craziest min/maxing ones can be circulated very quickly.

The way the WoW community has changed since the beginning is analogous to humanity as a whole, I think. There was a certain point where we as humans weren’t connected and basically did things our own way in our local environments. But as things got more connected, paradigm-shifting technologies started to emerge to the point where the individual has so much more access to knowledge and technology than even the richest or most intelligent people in our early history could’ve fathomed. Theorycrafting used to feel more like doing some honest farm work by hand, whereas today it’s more like using machine learning to determine the best way to do things with robotics.

I disagree. At least, with the idea that that’s what this is all for in principle. Of course, I want to do better this time around than I did before. But really, the main reason why I’m back is to have the experience again. To get to do the quests and appreciate the lore, and to enjoy the aesthetics of the zones/cities/music/class fantasy, and to get to run my favorite raids and enjoy my favorite boss fights.

I appreciate the idea that some people want to complete every aspect of this game in a way that they didn’t or couldn’t before. That’s a perfectly valid reason to want to play. But overall, that’s not the reason why Classic happened in the first place. In art and media, the classics are preserved and cherished first for what they were, not what they could be turned into. I like old WoW for what it was. And I like it for what it could be as well. But mostly I like it for the things that it offers that no other game really does.

3 Likes

My favorite expansion is legion

Ugh…

Lol what? Legion was a great expansion.

Excellent raids, fun classes. M+ was a blast. Artifact weapons were awesome. Mage tower was amazing.

2 Likes

That’s probably the hardest thing for any game designer. How do you create content that people want to do, but doesn’t directly effect character progression? I guess retail does this somewhat with transmog, but I don’t know if that’s “Classic” enough.

1 Like

Legion completely gutted class design and the game still hasn’t recovered.

1 Like

Id probably blame that more on MOP but too each their own.

Still had fun playing legion all that matters to me i guess

1 Like

That is completely incorrect, MoP was a great expansion with some of the best class design WoW has ever seen.

1 Like

Yes those talent trees didnt impact class design at all! /s

2 Likes

WotLK resilience would make druids into even more unkillable gods

though noticing your avatar I think thats what you want?

Idk man. My server literally had 70% of the population at 80 in the first week. I had people in my guild on day 2-3 of Wrath dropping at 80, and had 2-3 alts by a week or two. Thats insane, thats bananas, and that was most of my server looking at WoWcensus. There were TONS of people leveling and taking it slow in OG Wrath. I was just leveling for literally months trying to find what Class I liked in OG Wrath and always found groups. Old servers also only head 5-6k people. My current server holds like 50k and you can barely find anyone in leveling zones.

Id say, its dramatically worse now.

1 Like

WoTLK Resilience > TBC Resilience