Leaving my monk behind

I’ve been an on and off player since late vanilla. I never played on a high end level, but I’ve always dabbled in some form of endgame content. I mained hunter from vanilla up until DF where I decided to start fresh after a near two year break.

I messed around with many classes til I found the monk. I’ve had such a blast playing this class, I literally think it’s the most fun and engaging dps class in the game.

With that being said, I think I’ve reached my potential with this toon and don’t think I can advance any further. The problem is I just die way too often in high keys even when timing my defensives right. Monk is probably one of the squishiest classes I’ve ever played and that includes rogue and mage.

It makes me sad because I love the class fantasy and this is my first main since the hunter, but I’m just sick of getting 1-2 shotted in keys and raid even if I know the fight and mechanics. I switched over to my fury warrior and I think it’s definitely more my speed. Sure the dps ain’t as high, but it feels nice being able to solo elites and have self sustain. I’m also better at pvp with my warrior, so I think that will be my new main.

Gonna miss this monk like crazy though, but at this point there isn’t much else I can do with him, I’m just not good enough as a player I guess.

That’s because it’s a plate class. When it comes to DPS specs, armor types really make the difference of whether you are squishy or not. A clothie is much more vulnerable than a leather wearer. Plate is by far the tankiest armor type that’s why holy paladins are considered the “tank healers”

I support your decision, do what makes you happy.

You know I started off this game playing Druid and I absolutely hated it.

1 shot mechanics will 1 shot you regardless of what class/spec you are on. That’s just how it works. Stand in the bad and you will die or get destroyed by spiteful if you can’t kite. Playing fury won’t change that. If you are wanting to survive mechanics easier then play a mobile ranged like a bm hunter so you can cast on the move and ranged to avoid all the melee mechanics.

If you’re complaining moreso about world quest elites as ww then try turning on warmode and using turbo fist/expel harm honor talents. Never cancel fists of fury early and you can solo all the elite mobs at the obsidian council area.

In pvp yes we are super squish and I don’t blame anyone for not wanting to play ww for dying too easy because it can easily be very frustrating being one of the squishiest specs in the game. Using port correctly is everything.

3 Likes

You posted this same thread in GD. Are you trolling for sympathy?

My dude, Windwalkers never die in raid first and foremost. You are not anywhere near a key level where monks are unable to survive either (hint, noone has done those keys yet)

If you don’t feel like playing Monk anymore, then of course you should try something else to avoid burnout. But blaming what’s clearly a skill issue on the spec will just yield the same results with other characters.

Never said it wasn’t a skill issue. I clearly said that I’ve never been a high end player… That doesn’t mean that I don’t wanna push as far as I can though, especially with a class I genuinely enjoy playing. Tried a 13 key yesterday and it was a complete disaster. Must have died like 10-12 times despite popping defensives and moving around like an adhd riddled monkey.

That’s all melee though.

Why are you responding to them like they’re a noob? They said they’ve been on and off since vanilla. jfc

I think you might find that your warrior will be a lot less survivable than your monk would have been once you start pushing higher.

Which Dungeon?

Shadowmoon burial grounds, specifically the last boss. But it’s an ongoing issue in general. All it takes is for me to be distracted for a second and I’m dead. When tank pulls the room and I go in to aoe, I keep moving around with crazy anxiety just to not get killed. It’s stressful.

I just can’t figure out your rationale how that’d be any different from a fury war?

Wondering if you were clipping into the purple by accident? ( during the ritual of bones ) It can be easy to clip into it if things are chaotic with Malevolence ( the cone atk ) or if you’re follow behind it too close after it passes. It might look clear but you want to avoid being near any of it as much as possible. It might look like the corners round off too when you make a path but you can still get it if you clip to close to the purple/skeleton wall.
It’s the main thing that can put out the dmg you mentioned, and while it can be healed through up to a certain key level it’ll just destroy anyone who gets the DoT - or - waste a huge chunk of healer mana which hurts later on in that fight. Defensives and potions will help if you can stagger them throughout the DoT duration if you get it but…it’s painful.

Another possible issue: Did the tank move the boss away from the purple beams? ( Omen of Death ) The farther away people are from them the less dmg they will take. Ranged people can bait this into better places as it will target the farthest party member. Whoever is ranged will want to ideally bait them around the edge of the room, and away from the add you will be killing in the wall phase/Ritual of Bones. If you didnt have a ranged member and/or the tank didnt move fast enough there was probably a TON of extra damage going out. If you were all melee the tank should have been pulling the boss around the room’s edge to place them away from the add/skeleton you all planned to kill during Ritual of Bones.

Also: When the add comes out expect the cone attack at some point depending on timing, try to roll through the clear zone as best possible but you might need to decide to eat the cone attack.

Id say keep at it if you really like monk, this might have been more of a dungeon mechanics/learning experience more than you hitting a skill cap issue. It can be frustrating though to hit a wall though. Keep at it!

Tank pulling big with Explosive can be a mess if people cant get all the orbs in time, and all the interrupts. There are some big damaging things to interrupt in there ( big spider bursts , bat poisons, death blast from the short lived ghosts ). The combo bat/spiders on the way to the Worm boss seem to be the harder pulls this week. You can get 3+ orbs spawning at the same time right as the spiders are doing their aoe disease. It’s a mess with pugs.

Like I said: I think it’s just a learning experience on that level, I dont think it’s a skill cap issue and I think you will be okay with more attemps/experience. From what you describe it sounds like key interrupts and mechanics could have been missed.

If someone eats that Ritual of Bones DoT popping a defensive wont really save them, they’ll need focused healing from the healer, and even then the chance they will die is very high if they ate the Ritual of Bones’ purple DoT. Even if the healer can heal through it, it’s going to cost them mana that will be valuable later.

If the lasers are put too close together it can also be painful, or if one is placed in the path of the add you all will be killing.

Explain locks and DHs then

You are very confident with that one but you are 100% wrong, they were called the tank healers because they had no healing AOE for the first half of their life. So throwing beacon on one tank and healing the other was their job, while the druids and shamans kept the grp up

2 Likes

There was literally purple everywhere. My group members were dying shortly after I was

So either the skeleton wall wasn’t broken at all or people were putting all the beams in bad spots and not moving away from it. ( or you had no ranged people and the tank didn’t move the boss away from where the purple circles were dropping while also trying to bait them away from where the group would be killing the designated skeleton - to break the wall during Ritual of Bones )

I wouldn’t say either of those things were solely your fault tbh, but swapping classes probably wont be the solution you think it is unless you are doing it because you arent having fun on monk at all, in that case Id say go for it. IMO it’s just a dungeon mechanics learning thing. If you like monk Id say stick it out.

If you were in a pug … well … unfortunately you get people in PUGS that dont know what they are doing. Too many mistakes or the lack of knowledge eventually adds up, esp on 13 Tyran. Ive had people who thought they need to soak the circles, or who ate the DoT frequently. With enough practice it becomes an easier fight.

There are times where Ritual, Malevolence and the Beams can overlap, which can be hell. Proper beam baiting/placement is HUGE and can prevent this overlap, burning down the skeleton in the wall early is also very beneficial. You will always get 1-2 malevolence cones while killing the add and going through, so best to expect them.

IMO if you have absolutely no choice while moving through Ritual after killing the skeleton it’s slightly preferable to eat the cone atk instead of the Ritual DoT because a dead dps doesn’t do any dmg. While the cone/malevolence does reduce dmg you do for 10 sec - the DOT from Ritual will just kill you. It’s not entirely meant to be healed through even though it can be healed through up to a certain m+ level on like … one person, and with an immense amt of ST healing and cooldowns.

Hard to say without knowing entirely went wrong, but I’m pretty sure as long as you rotate dampen harm, diffuse magic, fort brew, and karma through raidwides you shouldn’t be dying outside of failed mechanics (whether thats you or someone else didnt stop something like flame dance or w/e or standing in bad) or gear; you’re also missing enchants which could boost your stam a bit (can buy the cheap ones even).

I also think that trying a 13 when your highest is a 9 might be a bit overambitious, I’d try timing keys thats +2 from your current and mentally note where you die and what could be done to mitigate that.

If you’re enjoying fury warrior more then I’d stick w/it, but don’t feel discouraged for dying when there’s (probably) stuff to be improved on!

1 Like