"Lead Rewards Designer Russ Petersen Leaves Blizzard."

"Lead Rewards Designer Russ Petersen announced on Twitter he’s leaving Blizzard after working at the company for nearly 10 years.

Russ designed the Great Vault in Shadowlands and was behind various Battle for Azeroth systems including the Heart of Azeroth system and Azerite Armor."

Is this good news for this game? What do you think?

4 Likes

I dunno. Seems like a mixed bag.

3 Likes

I am hoping this is part of Blizzard cutting back on the systems in WOW for 10.0.

6 Likes

I think this thread already exists and didn’t need a new posting:

1 Like

I mean, unless he was just surrounded by yes men or just ignored all of the team’s feedback (as well as players)… it’s hard to say whether or not anything will change.

2 Likes

People need to stop putting all the blame on one employee, and then celebrating when they leave.

8 Likes

Well, I will be throwing a party once Bobby is gone. But to each their own. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

So somebody who designed systems that players railed against as being anti-player is leaving Blizzard? Good Riddance. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

6 Likes

I am hoping this is one of the many reforms for the improvement of the game. I really hope Ion has to leave once the merger goes through with Microsoft.

That doesn’t count.

Russ is such a sweetheart. I wish him well.

2 Likes

Both of those are horrid rng. That bag isn’t mixed.

6 Likes

This is okay. WoW can only go up.

2 Likes

I always wonder why some of these long-term employees leave. But in most cases we will never know.

Battle of azeroth would of been so much better if they removed all the systems with the exception of gearing from pvp and pve.

Azerite grind, essense grind it was all just boring chores nobody enjoyed it. Just like shadowlands grind early on

2 Likes

Good, maybe less annoying systems.

1 Like

I didn’t like any of those. I would have liked the game a lot better without them.

Now it’s hard to tell if the finial in game version of these were the way he wanted them to be. Maybe someone above him directed certain changes or they ran out of time to make finial changes. We’ll only know if someone tells us. But only time will tell us if this is good news.

I do know that the senseless gear time gating coming for rewards in 9.2 is a horrible idea!

after around 10 years, its just news. neither good or bad. the natural flow of things.

the example systems are not bad systems in of them selves, its just the implementation of them that had friction.

and part of that could have been from trying to solve the wrong problem.

like, assuming they (bliz) saw that players would HAVE to swap out their abilities every boss pull because they could, made them think that more permanent fixations would prevent that sort of degenerate game play. instead, it became a horder’s house of 5x of ever exact item so the min maxing could be done any way. soul binds kind of do the same thing as far as systems go, but without the energy cost, its a better system.

players can min max to a degree. the travel to the fixed point to apply different options is enough deterrence. minor changes like paths or different binds can be done where ever and that is good enough for minor tweaks.

Good.

The vault is a terrible system.

Let me do literally an entire raid, multiple M+ and then choose from an array of all likely terrible pieces of loot, or a currency capped at 3 per week that I can use to buy other currency that might get something useful eventually. The only worse reward system in the game is the Cache of Sanctum Treasures.

2 Likes