Layers are being reduced which is why some queue times are increasing

And yet blizzard expects bigger queues when layering is removed. Food for thought.

that does not make any sense, layering does not affect queues

Blizzards words bud, not mine.

source it then

See heres the thing. The servers as you said, CAN hold 10 to 15k with todays tech.
So blizzard is using layering to take advantage of that.
But the ultimate goal is world per server, with a normal vanilla online population capacity of 2500 to 3000.
So while they currently have 10 to 15k online at once, when phase 2 hits it wont be.

The blue post literally says they expect insane queues when layering goes.
I already did.

(There is a blue post in the post i limked, click it)

Someone explain to me how layering is going to work WPvP. If a well known streamer can get his 5 guilds to one area. How would that affect the other faction being able to get on that layer and battle. I did not see the stream but what I hear was over 500 toons at once at the Arena all of same faction. did not crash it

Layering is gone when Phase 2 launches so the impact will only be until Phase 2

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what layers actually do…

All i can say is im glad i am not on faerlina/herod/etc when phase 2 hits

No matter how many times a blue post will state something there is someone like the OP to come along and give misinformation.

They already said that layers have no impact on the number of people the server can hold, and that it’s not based on layers.

Layers only help alleviate congestion in the zones themselves.

Queues have nothing to do with the number of layers, and everything to do with how many people are currently logged into that given server, regardless of the number of layers that are present.

They’re offering transfers from high pop servers to alleviate the queue time on those servers, and it has nothing at all do to with layers. If a server is set to hold 30k people it holds 30k regardless if there are 2 layers or 5.

You’re seeing queues pop back up because people are joining the server, whether from other servers or as entirely new players checking out classic.

It’s because, contrary to what people said about everyone being tourists, they apparently arent.

Stop spreading misinformation.

Layering does allow them to have more individuals logged into the game world simultaneously. They have never stated that layering has no impact on the consecutive people logged into a server. Which is all that matters.

1 Like

They allow a server to have a much higher population than it would otherwise by splitting into several copies of the server called layers. Yep, I’ve got it.

Layers have nothing to do w/ the total population of a server, so no… you don’t seem to have it at all.

Each layer is a copy of the server world, with the same population cap.

So no, i don’t think you understand layering.

They have also never stated that the layers are hosted on the plates of Godzilla, which allows them to actually have populations upwards of 30 million per server, but that doesn’t make this true.

Layers deal with congestion. The server pop is still the same. Without layers, you’d just have everyone clogging up the same zones instead of spread out onto separate versions of the same zone.

Same number of people in the end.

Blizzard developers think something like 75% of players will stop playing Classic after a few weeks or so.

If they release a ton of vanilla-like servers of 3000 players so that everyone can get in, a large number of those servers are effectively dead after the drop.

A solution is needed to address the long term population concerns, because this is where retail eventually ended up.

Instead of releasing a ton of servers so that as many people as possible can get in, they released a smaller number of servers.

Each of them has a maximum population several times that of a server was in vanilla.

This is possible because the population is spread across a number of copies of the server (layers). Yes, layers are completely part of the ability to have higher numbers of players on any given server at a time without making it a nightmare to play.

First question in the Forbes interview with Ion Hazzikostas:
Q. Why use layering?
Ion: To be clear, we don’t view layering as an improvement to the Classic experience. We’re not saying that man, we wish we had layering back in 2006, it would have made it so much better, but now we have it, so let’s do this. Layering is the lesser of several evils by a large margin.

We are trying to manage long term healthy populations on these servers around a unique sort of game launch. There’s no box that you have to buy on a shelf in a retail store for an outlay of dollars. We are opening this world up to millions of people, many of whom are just going to want to check it out as a matter of curiosity.

They explained it, it doesn’t change the number of people that can log in. Blizzard manually changes server caps, and it is not done by adding layers. Layering has nothing to do with the total number of people that can log in.

“Maximum realm capacity increased – 28 August”, Blizzard says “with hotfixes that we are currently deploying to all WoW Classic realms, we are substantially increasing the number of players that can be simultaneously logged in and playing. We expect this to result in smaller queues for realms that have large queues, and some realms should no longer have queues at all.”

I feel like all you are doing is aggressively agreeing with me, for some reason.

You don’t seem to understand what you read.

Layering does not directly impact server caps. It keeps servers from having thousands of people in one area, making the game unplayable for everyone, from a gameplay perspective.

The servers hold way more people than they did in 2006. You can’t have 2000 people in a starting area. No one would be able to complete quests and it would cause performance issues.

The total number of players is set by blizzards server cap, which they set, and is not determined by the number of layers.