“Layering is the solution to login queues!”

Ive said that months ago.
Even made a threat about it.

Nobody cared.

Just wait for the que when they disable layering. 20k?

How about 50 to 60k.
Sounds about right.

I responded to you in another thread but, there isn’t a difference from a technical perspective of spreading people into different zones and increasing available instances. They are basically the same thing.

The holding part isn’t increasing the cap, it’s simply dividing the players on the server into multiple servers.

It’s 2019. The tech exists to support 2-3x what they’re currently allowing. They were not prepared. Nothing we can do but wait.

4 Likes

There is if you want to eventually remove said instances. The point is letting people move relatively smoothly through the zones and having the ability to bring the servers back down to classic levels once phase two starts and the people who aren’t dedicated move on. The question is whether they have poorly guessed how many are going to be dedicated and if the huge queues result in a self-fulfilling prophecy.

4 Likes

“everybody will be clustered in the starting zones, and having players so close together causes an exponential drain on server resources. In fact, the same number of players cause more server problems crammed into Northshire than they do spread across all of Elwynn Forest.”

It was never meant to alleviate queues. Stop “quoting” rumors you hear as fact.

2 Likes

The exact same tech they highlighted in that interview is the solution to the queue time as well. They are the same operation from a technical perspective. You split off another instance of the server and migrate the users to that new instance. I doubt that producer is a developer. Do you know his background?

The three other people in that AMA were Executive, Senior, and Principal Software Engineers, so yeah, I think they probably gave accurate information about what their tech is capable of.

2 Likes

It might also be a software issue. The original game is 15 years old, and although it’s been heavily rebuilt over the years, the legacy code is still there. I remember Blizzard talking about how even something simple as providing a larger backpack was breaking the game in new and exciting ways, and when they finally figured out how to expand it, we got a whopping 4 slots.

Ah cool beans I went and looked through it found his explination:

Some players have suggested using sharding in low level zones to address launch demand, both because we talked about that at Blizzcon, and because it’s what they’re used to from our modern expansions. Unfortunately, while modern WoW has content designed to work with sharding, WoW Classic does not. The most obvious example of incompatible content is Rexxar’s famously long patrol path

So it’s really not a technical problem it’s just they think the user experience is worsened which I can kind of see I guess. It’s just a question of whether you think the queue is worth it to make sure you’re not randomly placed in an instance where Rexxar warps across the map to a different part of his route. Tough call for me I could go either way.

Here is where the confusion is coming from. It’s a technology that apparently is needed to allow a server to have more people playing on it, but it doesn’t increase the capacity of a server to have more people playing on it.

What is the chain of events here? Because it sounds like if an area is at max capacity a new layer is created to handle more capacity.

When a layer is created is it getting it’s own addition cores and memory?

My assumption is they have a cap on the number of layers they’re creating, rather than it being an open-ended system with no cap (unless Blizzard increases it). The game right now feels like there is no layering at all though.

1 Like

In my starting zone every mob was camped by 3-5 players and it took almost an hour to complete a quest. I’d hate to see what those areas would have looked like without layering.

4 Likes

That’s actually true. BUT in the end, when you take off the layering what is left has to “fit” in a single layer area. So, if you posit a 80% attrition, you still have to have room for 20% of the current population on ONE layer. So, you still can’t get TOO big or we’ll have a very crowded world (when layering’s removed) until people simply get mad and leave.

Ya I didn’t realize that every instance has to be in the same world state. The Q&A that Tarnian linked interviews the actual developer and it clears it up.

Layering was never meant to ease login queues, it was to help filter players into instanced areas to give everyone a chance at finishing quests.

i want the actual blue post that you are quoting. Because I dont recall them ever saying that.
Layering was for the population in the zone so you dont have thousands in valley of trials on the same instance.

Layering is a good thing. Read what Tarnian said, he has a good idea of whats going on

Sharding never had anything to do with the log in server

Absolutely, I agree.

The layering DOES, however, reduce queues by the fact that you can have more people on one server than was comfortably possible in Vanilla.

But it’s kind of an illusion, and there have to be people Blizzard right now chewing their fingernails to the bone wondering if they oversubscribed servers like Herod and Whitemane and those people plan on STAYING there and not leaving.

The more people per server, the longer layering will have to stay to make it viable. Servers like Bloodsail won’t have much problem getting rid of layering. Herod and Whitemane - not so much.

louder for the people in the back