Layering is destroying the economy

Title. There is so much extra everything in the world due to people abusing layers to farm that almost nothing in the game is worth farming at this point. Did anyone not see this coming?

48 Likes

In what regard, what example do you have on this? I am genuinely curious if you do not mind expanding.

8 Likes

BFA team saw it coming…just as planned.

5 Likes

People chest farming using layering and making an absurd amount of money.

18 Likes

My mage buddy clears a farming spot and then asks me to invite him. Farming spot reappears. He now has double the farm that he should. Rinse repeat ad infinitum.

I go get a wintersbite node. I ask my mage buddy to invite me. I just doubled my nodes.

Or the warrior charms from arathi. They’ve dropped to 20 silver a piece because the people who rushed to 60 are pulling all the eles in arathi, layering, repeat, and destroying the ah.

8 Likes

Yeah everything on the AH is still selling at almost vendor price on my server. My wife and her boyfriend are both herbalists and they can barely sell anything.

62 Likes

I’m on Netherwind, the newest server, and the economy is ok now, but the AH is starting to get flooded already.

1 Like

Excuse me?

1 Like

typical alliance player

34 Likes

The economy is the way it is likely more due to everyone being in a similar level range than a few people abusing layering. Sure, the AH is flooded with low level herbs/skins/etc… because everyone is leveling and picking them up.

11 Likes

Does it send him back to his previous layer when he leaves? As far as I know, once he is in your layer he should be stuck there unless he joins another player’s layer beside you. At least that is my understanding of how layering should work.

Im… 99% sure that the reason the prices of that stuff is so low, just like literally everything else in the ah, is because of people using Auctioning Addons that undercut and not paying attention…

I noticed that most Auctions are going for their vendor price, some times even less than their vendor price on the AH. I am convinced its people using things like Auctioneer and not watching their prices and just relying on the addon to undercut.

Again, pretty sure that problem is due to people using Auctioning Addons with flagrant disregard.

Again, 99% sure you are stuck on his layer even if you leave so thats a 1 node doubling unless you have an army of friends you are swapping parties between and not bringing them to your layer instead.

Still, that is legit bad stuff…

6 Likes

He and I both have more than one friend man. You just get the next person on your list to invite you. And no, auction house addons dont undercut by 80% off the bat. The supply for all mats is magnitudes greater than it could ever be without layering. Demand wont be able to catch up until long after layering is gone.

3 Likes

Auctioneer, for example though other addons like TSM also do the same thing unless you put in safety nets in your selling formula, always go off of the lowest priced item. All it takes is one person to undercut by 80% and then a group of people not paying attention to the automatic undercutting to tank the entire market.

Again, pretty darn sure that the biggest issue with the value of items on the AH is AH addons as opposed to layering abuse.

Not saying that Layering Abuse is not a problem, because the examples given do absolutely seem problematic, but I am 100% convinced that people using AH addons and not paying attention are a much bigger factor in the market being in such a cruddy place than layering abuse.

9 Likes

People had the same addons on the private servers for years. The prices were stable. Even during fresh server launches, you couldn’t multiply frost oil recipes or just teleport away from the opposite faction to keep farming. The difference is layering man. It’s obvious.

16 Likes

Buy certain items on the ah which are normally more rare so you can make bank when layering is turned off.

7 Likes

In what sense is this a bad economy? Prices being low doesn’t mean the economy is bad.

6 Likes

Yeah that’s the only thing that stood out in my mind when I read it to. So lemme ask, HUH? BOYFRIEND?

3 Likes

There is extra everything in the world because each layer has the population of a normal realm… and most servers have many layers right now. The actual value people gain from swapping layers is minimal. It’s the boogeyman of the forums right now.

edit: I would also add that while there is increased supply due to high population enabled by layering, there is also increased demand.

No, I believe that when you leave a group you go back to your usual layer. The only time you change layers semi-permanently is when you join a guild, you’ll move to the guild master’s layer. There may also be some logic that tries to keep people on friends lists together but I’m not sure on that one.

3-4x the Devilsaur Leather
3-4x the Black Lotus Spawns
3-4x the 5 rare spawns in Blasted Lands
3-4x the broken tooth spawns

I guess it is a bogeyman right now, but it DEFINITELY ia going to make those who hit 60 first much, much richer than they typically would be.

3 Likes