Layering is destroying the economy

You have 100% chance of changing layers if someone invites you to a group and the leader isn’t in your current layer, you’ll switch to the leader’s layer.

The rest is exactly what I was saying, I believe if you leave the group you’ll go back to your own layer, get invited by someone else and go to their layer.

You don’t change layers when leaving a group.

Oh the melodrama!

1 Like

Is that confirmed though? I remember reading from a blue post that you have a default layer that you return to but I’d have to dig up that post to be sure.

My wife’s son, Tyrone, can barely get any mining nodes either.

4 Likes

Layering is “at fault”, but not in the context of people blaming layer hopping and layer abuse. I think intentionally “gaming the system” with layering is a very small percentage of effect on the economy.

Instead, think about how Blizzard has stated a "Low " population realm in Classic has more players on it than a “High” population realm did back in vanilla.

Source: Overcrowded Realm Update

Since the only way Blizzard could deal with such an immense population is layering, this means each layer is another entire server’s worth of item drops/gathering resources for that server’s single economy. Even if everyone was absolutely honest and never abused layering, you have several servers worth of resources being obtained day-in-day out.

Server economies will continue to see inflated item availability until layering can be disabled. That said, I still think layering is necessary to allow for the long-term population health of a server.

5 Likes

It’s super easy to test if you have a second account or even a friend. I have a second account and I jump in and out of groups all the time, have never once changed layers because of leaving a group.

Even without the second account I have joined many groups to finish a difficult quest and I have never phased off into a different layer when leaving. This is through a week of launch and however many months of beta.

And you change layers when you enter a group with them? Then you change layers when you group with someone else, then try grouping with the friend again and change layers?

That would tell you for certain since then you’d all definitely be on different layers. Not that I’m doubting you, just doing some investigation on how it all works. It’s entirely possible I misread or misremembered what the blue post said about layering.

Wife and her bf???

1 Like

I’m not sure if I agree or disagree, but more supply means less demand which means lower prices and higher currency value. The main issue then becomes fixed vendor pricing for mounts, etc.

If they’re making an absurd amount of money, then it stands to reason that the things they’re selling are still worth selling yea?

Not sure if you’ve thought this argument through.

They need to break auction addons. Yes, we had them in Vanilla, but only a minority used them and we never had this many people on a single server. Now we have more people on a server than in Vanilla and way more people using auction addons. Layering may help keep zones from being overcrowded, but there’s no layering on the AH. It’s a complete mess. You literally have to use an auction Addon to use the AH, whether it’s buying or selling. Any Addon that makes its use mandatory, should be broken.

1 Like

This is your argument?

They are literally fridges in disguise, let them have their milk and cheese (someone else said this, I take no credit).

The idea is that layers are because of player numbers, so in theory 10 layers means 10 times the players. If it’s a farmed area on every layer then switching layers doesn’t increase the 10 times supply relative to the 10 times demand.

Where it hurts is when people get ahead of the pack and can farm an area that no one else is doing, then the supply outstrips the demand and they can bank the extra until demand catches up.

I love this “my wife and her bf” meme. I am seeing it more in game as well. Good laugh, every time.

oh jesus i thought it was legit

I’ll pay that one tho holy smokes

Don’t care about the thread, but do go on.

*DesireToKnowMoreIntensifies.gif

1 Like

Agreed… each layer is producing resources that get funneled into one auction house. Basically 4 servers worth of stuff in one AH.

So the issue is there are armies of people doing the layer hopping. Just ask in world and you’ll get an invite in seconds.

Layering was amazing for L1-15, then the queues became outrageous(who couldnt see that coming with 5 pvp servers lol) so they upped the layers to let ppl actually play. Im on the fence about if layering has been good or bad for launch but its 100% destroying the economy right now. The abuse by high level players, me included, to farm 4 or 5 layers at once 8s real and is concentrating wealth to a few people much more so than would normally be the case.

Didn’t mean to reply to someone, and these horrible forums have an odd way of deleting posts.

1 Like