Layering: Few Weeks or Phase 1

I’m going off what they’ve said, instead of what level of distrust a player has of them.

I agree - but it is hard to trust someone when they tweak the story.

1 Like

I expect at least 40% to quit within the first few weeks.

Reading the forums, I get why they felt we wouldn’t be happy with starter-only sharding. In all honesty, there’s less hatred flowing for layering, so I’m sure they are regarding it as an improvement.

What modern tech prep?

It was sharding/layering that kept the last couple launches so smooth.

Half the people on here are complaining about streamers, most of the rest are trolls. I hope they aren’t getting their design ques from us.

I’ll need to be quick then, you can farm instant respawning nodes by jumping Layers ( loggin out and back in ) so you can pretty must bust the Auction House. The longer Layering is a thing the better it is for me. And for you, cheaper and more mats to buy. Maybe we should agree to keep it?

I get rich in classic and you get more mats to buy from me, Win-Win.

There were zero streamer complaints before layering was announced, because there was no beta. Now people are more concerned with streamers than layering, which tells Blizzard it’s a more acceptable solution (when it works).

They most certainly are.

Yeah…you and quite a number of others layer hopping in Un’goro Crater at the devilsaur spawns or maybe the Black Lotus spawn points.

That’s the plan.

people are just over reacting… realistically layering is worse than sharding, you still get the phasing in and out, you can still layer hop and exploit the layers/shards… all layering does is make it so you have the negative effects of competeing with heaps of people and the negative effects of sharding… it’s actually a lose/lose imo.

1 Like

That’s a bug.

As I understand it, they’re still ironing out the kinks with layering.

Gee… it’s almost like they should have done that with sharding on Retail.

What if Classic IS getting all the actual love?!

well, they say it’s a bug but i’ll believe it when i see it.
They have sharding we know how that works. They also claim to have layering, but in the stress tests it was more like sharding… i personally phased in/out multiple times in a few hours of play. Also seen beta players phased in to the other friends and family server and cross realm isn’t meant to be possible, but it’s happening.

1 Like

Aside from bugs, layering is the major development.

So it’s been explained as a layer will have server cap within it let’s say 3k. Now say 4k people are online 3k in layer 1, 1k in layer 2. You login and you guildies are on layer 1, they said they will prioritise guildies logging into layers with their guild, how do you get in without sombody else going out? Or what if player A on layer 1 invites player B on layer 2, is the cap now 3,001? or does someone from layer 1 have to be moved to layer 2 so player B can come to layer 1?

Alot of variables with zero explanation of mechanics.

My guess - they keep the layers in balance by placing you in the least populated layer when you login.

As with normal population caps, they won’t max it out immediately and will have a floating cap. People who are not guilded, or the only person online in a guild will be moved to a light layer on login.

and is there a minimum amount to trigger a new layer ie; once 3.5k are on layer 1 move 500 people to layer 2(feels like sharding) or can you be lucky 3,001 and now you’re on layer 2 alone in the world…? (feels like sharding)

1 Like

They mentioned there would be queues, so they may decide to queue until 400 people are waiting, then spawn a new layer with those 400.