Late start: PVP broken: ilvl gap too much: reward not worth the effort

So I’ve just come back from a break from playing Wow.
I truly thought it couldn’t be any worse than last expansions-last season, but boy was I wrong. To be fair I’m only 3 days into being level 60 and only 171 ilvl.
I spent time leveling to 60 and I’m already regretting my decision to re-sub and level.

I really don’t understand the current PVP gearing method.

So from what i’ve read with the many disgruntled posts from players stating that anything under 200 ilvl is literally 1-3 shot. (Which has been my experience so far).

Stun, or perm snare then 1-3 hits & dead (posting pics on twitter) with my nerd raging.

So perhaps some of you people reading can explain to me:

For PVP:
#1 - Why is there an upgrade system for completely “trash” gear? This gear is not good enough to get you into bg’s, it’s not good enough to get you into arena’s. (With out being 1-3 shot)

I have almost a full set and have spent 15k honor and countless hours SUFFERING to get the set and additional honor to upgrade most of it to rank 3 (which is as high as I can go due to being gated by (Renown) which seems utterly ridiculous.

It yields me 26k hp & 14% resilience and I still die in 1-3 shots. (I’m not sure how this is anything but frustrating). I’ve experienced ZERO fun, have almost punched my computer a few times, while alt+f4’n and cussing out loud.

#2 - Why is the cost so high to upgrade when the benefit is so minuscule?

#3 - Why is the upgrade system gated (renown) when there’s such a HUGE GAP in the power between ilvls?

I can’t wrap my head around it; Unless the goal is to make everyone quit casual PVP???. or to unsub

• I can’t get renown levels from doing bg’s
  • I can’t get gear (drops) from doing bg’s
  • The honor I get, can buy me super minuscule upgrades which still yield me 2-3 shot deaths because the ILVL is so low.

So after spending hours and hours and hours for days doing bg’s to get all the upgrades, I will still get 2-3 shot in arena’s, because the power gap is too large between ilvls.

So the result is, it will yield me just a time suck with no actual benefit to helping my character progress or get into rbg’s or arena’s.

I honestly don’t see how this is fun in any way for anyone coming to the game late.

Great job blizzard!

89 Likes

The WoW general public wanted PvP scaling gone and for gear to matter again, so Blizzard gave players exactly what they asked for :man_shrugging:

I like the new system personally, but then again I’ve never had an issue working my way up/getting better gear. If you are an ultra-casual World Quester or LFR hero, then yeah, you are probably in for a rough time this expac.

8 Likes

That’s what many refer to as “starter” gear (like gear from Normal or Heroic dungeons).

To actually gear up, you need to spend your conquest alongside your honor to gear up.
That’s how you get to 200 ilvl.

3 Likes
  1. We only had access to a few ranks each week at first to slow it down, since 197 would have been extremely good early on. Now its a bit dated

2. Same as above, it wasn’t bad at first since it was spread out, but now it sucks

3. You can get the renown up very very quickly so its not really a gate. Complete as much of the cov campaign as possible and youll get half decent gear and renown from it.

The gear grind does suck, but if you max out your honor gear and complete your conquest catchup cap, you will notice a MASSIVE difference in your character. The early upgrades don’t feel as impactful, but as you approach 200, you’ll feel the power gains. Will you have a gear disadvantage to many players? - yes, but you can compete for 1400 in arena or RBG at this point, which gets you to 207ish. Anyway, ive geared a few alts and my experience is that they start to feel okay towards the end of the honor cap, and that the gear improvements feel weak at first, but start to scale in harder later on. You’ll have to tough it out through the honor unfortunately.

2 Likes

Honor gear is starter gear. BlizZard should have cut costs of honor to upgrade the starter gear. Also they could have bumped up the base of conquest gear by five ilevels IMO.

My prediction is they make that type of adjustment for season 2.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

5 Likes

Spent my whole day doing epic bgs (8 of them) with 0 wins. It is so stupidly ridiculous it is funny. I keep my sanity by assuming that I am going to lose badly. I am talking about losing an “epic” bg in 5 minutes. The alliance is so undertuned and so low in ilvl that the horde goes through us like a wet paper bag.

And it is going to get worse. I play both sides and for the most part, it is night and day. At the end, you look at the chart and there is a clear red blue line. Red on top with all blue on bottom.

How can an alliance toon even get some conquest TO get pvp gear is beyond me. Maybe if the losing side got half the conquest points???

I waited until today after saying that this xpac I wasn’t going to pvp, after the horrible pvp system of bfa, but nothing has changed, in fact, I think it’s worse. The inbalance between classes (balance druids, pallies especially) plus you have to do “rated” pvp to get better gear??

I cannot express how disgusted I am with the whole thing.

19 Likes

That’s the thing, I’m not. I just took a 4 month break. I’ve always been duelist+ in PVP, almost every season.

I just can’t get over the power gap right now coming back late, it seems incredibly overwhelming and for me has been ZERO fun.

I truly don’t see how anyone coming back into the game (late) would enjoy the current state of it, especially if they’ve played in previous expansions

While I feel gear should matter, I “personally” feel (non rated) battlegrounds should be exempt from this especially “if” battlegrounds are intended for “Starter” gear acquisitions. (Rated PVP, World PVP should all have gear matter, again just my opinion)

Thank you though, for the reply <3

12 Likes

I’m with you, I’ve done 12 bg’s over the last 2 days and haven’t won a single one. In fact I mostly get ridiculed due to my 26k hp and lack of gear. Perhaps it’s even worse because I’m a healer.

4 Likes

I can imagine if i started in the beginning it wouldn’t be so traumatic.

As for now, I’m spending more time looking at my combat log wondering wtf hit me for 60% of my HP in 1 hit. That and waiting at graveyards. /smh

Thank you for the assurance it will get better, I’ll keep chugging away. Though right now it seems futile.

7 Likes

All you have to remember before buying the next xpac is this. Blizz made the best gear only available to rated players. 3 days before they released shadowlands.

They fooled everybody on beta and on the forums. They pulled the wool over your eyes and took it like a champ bent over.

Just remember

20 Likes

i mean, before that change, we would just be getting PVE gear instead. at least you can get the gear that you need through pvp now…

2 Likes

I hear ya, pugs can be nasty towards undergeared players.

It might be a good idea to stick to epic bgs for a bit, since you are trying to get back on your feet/caught up. Easy to blend in and not get noticed, just follow the herd.

No one is going to bring up your gear, and there are usually better/geared healers on the team that carry most of the load in the big teamfights.

My ilvl is 201 and I feel exactly as the OP does. I feel very useless in BGs when all of my defensive cooldowns can get dispelled or purged or stolen as an Arcane Mage.

Mage seems to be one of the worst classes this expac and it’s even worse if you don’t play fire.

I do casual PVP but this game is way too exhausting as a mage and I have no desire to level a rogue or paladin.

I know MoP and WoD didn’t have scaling either but those BGs felt much more balanced than Shadowlands.

I think it’s time for me to ding 60 in Classic and then cancel my sub because casual PvP is a nightmare and the Pve alternatives of the maw and Torghast are even worse.

14 Likes

I had to take a month off to get my wisdom teeth out and now I’m 187 against 215+ people and it’s so frustrating. I can’t imagine how awful it would be to start out in 157 starter gear trying to get conquest in this environment.

• PvP Power and defense from MoP.
  • PvP ilvl scaling and ilvl floor from WoD.
  • 4pc, glove, and WoD trinket set bonuses.
  • All from vendors, with all stat combinations.
  • Stygia, conduits, soul ash, and all other PvE chores available through honor.
18 Likes

You must be kidding … Fire is deleting everyone in BG’s. Combust is so strong and with all the trash healer buff’s protecting it, you can’t even purge it quickly .

7 Likes

You joking? You know how long it takes to rank your honor gear to Tier 7? It takes FOREVER. It’s so painful.

We need PVP stat back - something that sets true, dedicated PVP players apart from these PVE dragon-killer script-running heroes. It’s so frustrating to go into BGs against a team of mythic raiding/M+ guildies - who run around aimlessly with zero strat, zero planning, no skill + just dominate thru brute ILV.

I mean, if Mythic raiding could be done by brute force - without doing the mechanics … how loud would raiders cry about that?

Well, Blizz - THAT’S THE STATE OF PVP RIGHT NOW.

17 Likes

Oh puh-lease. Fire mage is beyond easy to counter since their burst window is TINY, which after over, fire does no damage.

All mage has is a crappy alter time spell which is practically useless and blink which literally moves you 1 yard since there are so many tiny obstacles on the ground.

1 Like

I’m with the OP, this expap is the worst. I’m voting with my wallet. Sub ends it a few days. Time to move on.

11 Likes

100% agree and I feel exactly the same as OP

This would be a net positive for the game in every way. Bring back WoD gearing in addition to the other great points you have.

8 Likes

thank that jerk on youtbe s____z.
he and his elitest boys pushed to make sure that normal players cant gear up.

blizzard catered to the top 1% pvpers and pvers making it so only they can get top gear.
the rest of us are now stuck.

we need gear not to matter in pvp.

20 Likes