Larian Studios calls out Blizzard

…That’s the morality part.

Granted, if you wish to swap that word with something else, sure, but it serves the same function anyways as you’re still saying it’s bad to do it.

There is no morality here.
I do not think you are a bad person for doing it.

What is there to do in multiplayer online games besides time wasting activities? Raiding, Mythic+, World Events, PVP are all “time wasting activities.” Can’t even compare online games to titles like Baldur’s Gate. Single player (even with limited cooperative play) usually have to have more story to get people through 100+ hours of gameplay.

1. Do you think MTX are bad practices?
  2. Do you think Publishers/Devs shouldn’t be paid for the MTX?
  3. Do you think it should have an effect on the game industry?
  4. Do you think players should buy into it?

Any of these questions here, play into morality to some extent, because it assumes the blame of both the publishers/players. This isn’t just a simple “Oh greedy publishers gonna greed”… And even that relates to morality somehow.

Let me put it to you simply, if somebody thinks it’s bad to support something though buying, they naturally will think the buyer, is not making good decisions. I.E, you think their doing the wrong decision. This is morality at play here.

Morality is simply principles of what’s right and wrong or good and bad behaviors.

The Hogwarts Legacy example is such one example, as it relates to trans people, indirectly though J.K Rowling’s indirect (or lack there of since the video games before HL didn’t make any money) involvement of Hogwarts Legacy.

As for the case of Piracy vs Buying… it’s complicated. Long story short, piracy a lot of the times, come into play because of anti-consumer practices (that isn’t MTX btw), high conversation rates in your country, or a lot of the times, old/delisted games.

Okay, so now we have established that then.

No… it simply is not beneficial to the customer. Aka, it is a bad business transaction for the customer to buy a game with microtransactions in it.

A bad business deal does not have to do with any morality at all. Bad or good does not have to be summed up by a right or wrong behaviour.

You can certainly talk about behaviours that lead to someone making the decisions that they do in terms of business, like you can certainly argue that microtransactions is manipulation and manipulation is bad. But really, I don’t care about that, as far as I am concerned, that is just business.

As a customer, you just get the shorter end of the stick if you take that deal.

I don’t think this conversation is going anywhere if you don’t understand or just keep ignoring what i’m saying or… honestly what you’re saying… so… Agree to disagree until then.

Who is the brain behind WoW? It is a game designed by committee. Probably everyone on the team has something valuable to contribute, but since it doesn’t have a single direction it suffers from design-by-committee

EDIT: this isn’t an awful thing btw, just nothing like Sid Meier or Will Right being in charge of a game from top to bottom

And yet Legion is regarded as a phenomenal expansion after WoD. And WoD was far worse than Shadowlands.

I am going to try Baldurs Gate. Hopefully it lives up to 1/2 the hype

2 Likes

Easily the best game released in the last 10 years.

3 Likes

I think BG3 will release an expansion in the next 18months, which is more relevant than a full on game. If ABK are making WoW2 or some other game then i expect it to take 6 years like other major releases

1 Like

That’s why I don’t prepurchase cars. I wait and buy used

Well, you are living under a rock then. Baulders Gate 3 is being heralded as the best game of the decade by countless sources. The fact that you are posting on a gaming forum and are oblivious to the title speaks volumes.

3 Likes

When WoW is your primary game in 2023, you know they’re too far gone. So many good releases, but they’re stuck finding LFG groups.

3 Likes

‘not worth trying’

Devs don’t have the luxury of quitting a job because of a bad boss. At least, a large number of them don’t, anyway. It’s a rather full market and a lot of devs that work for Blizzard are stuck living where they are and can’t afford to move. Their only hope for the most part is that they can get snatched up by Riot Games or something, but unless they’ve managed to get a decent resume under their belt there’s a very high chance they aren’t even on their radar.

A job like a carpenter is much more likely to find work elsewhere, and as such has more luxury in being able to prioritize their pride in their work over what the boss tells them to do.

What I’m saying is, while it is true we shouldn’t give all the devs a blanket free pass, as there most surely are devs that are perfectly content with doing the bare minimum and just doing a shoddy job, we also should not be condemning all the devs, either, as there really are clearly plenty of devs that are passionate about their work and take pride in what they can do, too. Like, as a reminder, how Garrosh only got a sendoff in Shadowlands because one guy spent the time making it happen in his offtime.

Since there’s no way of telling which devs are which, our focus should be on the real source of the problem: the people in charge.

3 Likes

and in their financial situation, which is why they don’t have the luxury of quitting their job

1 Like

…are you really promoting being homeless?

1 Like

Decades ago. Right. Because that really reflects the world today. Anyway, I’m done with you. Anyone who suggests being homeless in this day and age is more ideal than trying to hold on to a steady job (regardless of if they are looking for a better job or not) is not worth the time.

1 Like

Ok, boomer

1 Like