Large framerate drop after patch

Two things to try AFTER you’ve updated your video driver to the latest nVidia, released on 12/3/18:

In WoW, go to System>Advanced and MANUALLY select your graphics card. Seems that the “Auto Select” is broken at the moment.

Next, if your card is capable and running Windows 10, make sure to select Direct X 12, not 11.

Those 2 things should get your frame rate back up to snuff.

HTH!

I did what you said to manually select my graphics card. It is so weird that now if I switch to inter graphic card, it performs better than GTX 870M. It seems that when I switch to inter graphic card it is actually using GTX 870M.

Yea, something is broken with the Auto Select… I’m not really sure what’s going on, but it’s helped a lot of people in my Guild tonight, so thought I’d pass it on. Took awhile to troubleshoot it.

I tried swapping the graphic card the game is using in the settings but doesn’t help any, the integrated Intel GPU is even worse off than the Nvidia one. So far the only way I’ve managed to get any sort of increase to my framerates is to lower both the graphic settings and the render resolution far below what they were before the patch, and even so the framerates are still a bit lower than they used to be in most areas.

1 Like

I was literally in the middle of typing out this long-winded post about all the things I have tried and how frustrated I was - when I solved the problem. For me, anyway, and hopefully for some of you.

Frame rates sucked, yes, and I had the latest drivers (417.22 for nVidia). I tried all kinds of stuff, toggling DX11 and DX12, toggling the video card to use - and still, even on graphics setting “1”, I could only hit about 50fps.

And then the tech in me said, “Don’t start in the middle, start at the beginning. This wouldn’t be the first time an addon caused frame rates to take a nosedive.”

So, I did a UI reset. Bam. 100fps (60 with VSync enabled) on graphics setting “7”, which is what I was at before the patch. It’s worth noting that the game stopped crashing on exit (happening since the patch) when I did the UI reset as well.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/7549 if you need it.

I will edit this when I find the offending addon. Good luck all.

Edit: WeakAuras 2 (2.10.5) was causing my frame rate to absolutely tank. I have four options under addons for WA2, and even enabling just the main WA2 while leaving the Model Paths, Options and Templates unchecked caused my issue.

Good news is that WA2 is updated regularly, and the issue has already been reported on their Curseforge. You can also revert to 2.10.4 to solve the issue.

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/weakauras-2/files

1 Like

Confirmed. WA2 is the culprit for me. I logged in after updating everything and loaded up with 36 fps going down from 80-90 and just couldn’t believe it. Will have to wait for their update.

1 Like

Confirmed also that I put .4 of WA back in and it’s fine around 80-90 fps usually

1 Like

I disabled all add ons as well as a UI reset and i’m still having the problem. Like others, if i go into graphic options/advanced and select Intel instead of Nvidia, the game appears to work fine. I’m not 100% sure it’s secretly using Nvidia though because the framerate is back at 60-80 but there is a small spellcast delay that is only there when using the intel choice. Sounds like an add on is a problem for some people but those of us with GTX cards and the dual graphic processor thing, something definitely broke this patch :frowning:

I am having this issue with my RX 580 as well.

My FPS is limited to a max of 100, but since the patch it is going from 100 to 20 to 100 again, causing a lot of stuttering.

@ Cameo
Can you try actually removing the addons. Disabling them they still load and can cause issues.
Cut and paste the following folders to your desktop Interface, WTF and cache . then test the game

Noticed the same drop in frame rate.
Also noticed a change in the graphics settings that is no longer there.
The ability to adjust your hrz rate based on your monitor.
Why was this removed?

@ Czarocz

The game is windowed. The setting no longer actually did anything. The game will run at the same refresh rate as the desktop. As do all windowed games

I cut and pasted the wtf and cache folder, deleted all add on’s. still happens. Some mentioned that things are screwy and the Intel processor acts as the nvidia and choosing nvidia is actually the intel, i don’t think that’s the case anymore. It’s true that choosing the intel card is a lot better than Nvidia atm, but the second i hit a dungeon or warfront it’s horrible. It makes no sense that intel would be performing better than the Nvidia card, it has to be something blizzard changed this patch because it was working great monday evening then horrible tuesday after patch. I have updated drivers etc. Edit: If it helps, i’m windows 7 and Directx 12 is not an option.

new nvidia patch today seemed to help this alot.

They updated WA to .6 did anyone try that one yet to see if it’s addressed the FPS loss issues?

Thanks not able to test it ATM.

There seems to be 2 types of problems in this thread, some of you having issues with an add on, others having issues with Nvidia graphics. I currently have all add ons removed, deleted the cache and WTF, i’ve updated graphic drivers, i’ve done the scan & repair, my nvidia option still lags horribly. It’s a weird lag, i went from 60fps most places to 25-40. Even if i manage to find a spot where i hit 60fps, game still stutters horribly. Only option is to switch to the Intel video driver and then the game plays A LOT better but lags horribly during raids.

Same here. Removing all add on does not work. Switching to inter video card is better than the Nvidia card.

Exactly this. Using nvidia GT540M.

Any of you find a fix yet? Nvidia is still sucking for me, having to use the Intel card still.

That blows, lol. I enabled DX 12 with my GTX 1080 and updated Nvidia drivers to the latest, and I get 7-10 more fps in the insane lagfest that is Boralus and the horde hub place. I do play at 4k at near max settings, and jumped from 27 fps when player base is at peak, to 35 fps! pretty happy about that. Can’t wait to see how large raids do.