Lack of Human & Alliance Villains

I’d just like some equal treatment between the factions every now and then. Isn’t that the crux of most Alliance complaints about the story?

10 Likes

What, compromise?

Are you absurd, why would any player want another player to enjoy the story, don’t you know the story is for me and my friends and no one else! All other complaints are invalid because i don’t have an issue with them, and therefore their resolution i don’t care about.

In all seriousness, refanging the alliance and letting them have actual villains work well enough together that it’s a mutual benefit.

10 Likes

Christie Golden wants the Alliance to be the good guys, and the Horde to be the bad guys. Yes, it is Male Human Paladin levels of simplicity and predictability, but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that changing in any meaningful way.

4 Likes

Essentially, what’s being pointed out here is that Alliance-associated villains are typically not systematized the way Horde-coded ones are - even in cases where this seems like it SHOULD happen, like Archbishop Benedictus.
This is (once again) because the thematic fantasies of the playable factions are self/rightful/familiar vs other/ambiguous/exotic. Villains coming from the faction of ‘self’ (Alliance) will always be written as wild exceptions to the rule because their fiction demands both that the faction be presented to the player as ‘normal’ and that this normalcy is blameless. Villains coming from the faction of ‘other’ are freer to be labelled as typical and natural examples of their culture’s norms because their fiction is under no such pressure to reassure the player of that groups essential innocence.

If you want another reason to think this is terrible than “it’s messed up to sell a game whose playable choices are ‘the eternally innocent white people and their ethnic sidekicks vs the readily-duped savages and their scheming leader’” consider that BfA’s entire plot is the only logical endpoint of this stereotyped stance: the Horde is refused all motivation to fight and the Alliance is given little reason to consider their enemies as anything other than monsters.

16 Likes

:point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

This all day long.

5 Likes

And yet you people complain of Horde bias. Look if you want the bias we’re getting, we’d hand that right over to you with no issues.

7 Likes

The alliance players can’t handle doing anything wrong.

They like to be the boring white knights.

And then they complain why their story is so boring.

5 Likes

ITT Horde players demanding Alliance be evil and saying “it’d be for your own good” when really it’s only for their own benefit.

4 Likes

I’m not demanding they be evil. I’m just offering them the “bias” the Alliance has been accusing us of receiving. If you want Blizz’s attention and “love” you can have it.

3 Likes

Fairness? First off, lets ignoring that Blizzard specifically stated there will be a “unfair and inequtiable treatment of the factions”.

You want one of our leaders to go mad? Sure, AFTER we turn Tarren Mill into rubble, Mana bomb to oblivion Bildgewater Harbor, Have Jaina drown all of Ogrimmar and turn your bones into a road. Then we call talk about “fairness”.

The Horde is not evil because they are savages. They are evil because they want to kill and take land from other people who have live their for centuries. The humans of Stormwind representz, well humanity. To the point we have different skin tones for them and nothing about their skin color has ever mattered.(movie version of Stormwind was also fairly diverse)

Lastly, the Horde as it is now is composed of blood elves(you know guys who happen to end up near ideal versions of whiteness) and Nightborne as well(aristocratical people and highly refined).

Heres a crazy idea, how about instead of making a post asking to drag the Alliance down with you every two days or so, you guys start to try figure out how the horde can clean up their act first

1 Like

What part of:

Did you not understand? We’d give it to you with no issues.

7 Likes

The fact that so many horde posters agree with you OP tell us why is a horrible idea.

No thanks, alliance players should decide what to do with their story.

Besides, it would be kinda difficult to make someone in the alliance a villain after teldrassil. just look at dazarlazor, we burned some civilians there but no one even cares.

1 Like

Well, BfA has had pretty “human-styled” villainy with Ashvane and her House/Company before her arrest. Despite allying with Azshara and becoming a monster once her own plans all failed, she’s really just been after political control of Kul Tiras rather than being an earnest zealot and participant in eldritch nastiness like Lord Stormsong or Lady Waycrest, and her subordinates are pretty consistently made out to just be really unscrupulous and profit-driven scumbags rather than “fantasy evil” minions, so to speak.

Plus there are the pirate crews led by Harlan Sweete.

And even pre-BfA Lady Waycrest turned out to be a pretty rotten piece of work well before becoming Mother of the Coven, as she personally contracted the murder of her daughter’s fiancee (which resulted in the collateral deaths of numerous Waycrest guards and party guests) on the day of their wedding just because she thought Lucille marrying a commoner might hurt the family’s public image.

Honestly for all the Dungeon Journal’s talking-up of her desperation to save her husband’s life as somethig sympathetic, that whole flashback sequence makes me think she may have cared less about her husband himself and more about clinging to the power and prestige of being married to the Lord of Drustvar.

8 Likes

Yeah I agree that actually most of Kul’Tiras questing portrays many of the Houses in a bad light. Ultimately though I think OP is asking for specifically Alliance characters doing things evil.

1 Like

Try telling Blizzard that and see how far it gets you.

Us Horde players certainly didn’t ask for this crap sandwich handed to us. We wanted our story to go in a different direction than what they decided.

5 Likes

Thing is we don’t have any objectively Evil characters, though you could probably argue that Admiral Rogers is Lawful Evil… but she’s a fairly minor character.

Meanwhile, Sylvannas and Nathanos are both over-the-top Lawful Evil… and they’re the ones calling the shots.

It would be out of character for the Alliance to go all murdery, while it’s 100% in-character for Sylvannas & Nathanos. It would be completely out of character if they both all of a sudden became do-gooders and were all concerned about doing good.

I’m not a big fan of making characters act completely out of character just for shock value and to push lazy storytelling.

It was just sweep under the rug like any time the alliance does something grey or interesting. Heck Rogers shooting unarmed orcs or Genn attack in Stormheim are barely mentioned even among the horde leaders

3 Likes

well if i could decide i would never have wanted to have a faction war.
or not starting with teldrassil.

in an ideal world we would have grey characters in both sides, but we can’t have this garbage of going from one extreme to another. where one side is hitler and the other the justice league.
so in that i can agree.

But the damage is already done, would be the answer to turn both sides randomly into chaotic evil for no reason?.
would the answer be to drag the alliance into the mud that the horde is in?

1 Like

No way dude, Nathanos is neutral evil. Sylvanas… hell, i dont even know what she is.

I want want to say CE, but i cant really be certain until we know her
full keikaku. But the only rule/code she follows to a T is “#1 (herself) goes first, always” and not really enough to be lawful.