Kyrestia wat

Picked Kyrian on my paladin. Thought Kyrestia was supposed to be some super powerful Angel being.

Turns a blind eye to her subjects pleas and active rebellion. Gets hit by an ex-paragon’s spear once and loses 3/4 her health in the dungeon and you have to save her. Doesn’t say anything particularly revolutionary or helpful other than “go forth my paragons!” Has to have her army protect her from an ex-subject and her minions at the end of the campaign. Has her owl smith fix her busted stage. What is her job there again? To float there and be served? Anyways maybe the idea is that the first ones are flawed and not all powerful or something, but it’s like what is your job girl?

6 Likes

That’s definitely the impression I got too from the Bastion story leading up to meeting her. I think there must’ve been some disconnect between people writing the quests and those writing the plot. It turns out she’s more like the Margraves of Maldraxxus: an exceptionally power individual but not inhumanly (Kyrian) so. I expected Kyrestia to be more like how the Winter Queen is depicted.

2 Likes

The Archon is an Eternal One not a First One. She was either put in charge by the First Ones or got the job from her predecessor dying or going missing(predecessors dying is a common way to get higher ranked in the Shadowlands).

2 Likes

25 murder hobos downed Sire Denathrius despite him being the Eternal with access to the most anima and you’re surprised the Archon isn’t some all powerful being?

2 Likes

Can’t disagree, even under the assumption that Devos had a super insane Maw power-up that let her almost One-Shot Kyrestia, it doesn’t really make sense.

If I had to speculate, I might posit the following…

There was a bug where players could kill Kyrestia in the dungeon (I think a Warlocks’ Doomguard going out of control or something). When this happened, there was a pop up that said, “As Kyrestia falls, all life in the zone dies.”

That suggests to me that Kyrestia is connected to Bastion in it’s totality. Now, that could mean the anima drought has drastically weakened her. Not only that, but the number of Forsworn might also somehow be affecting her power.

At the end of the day though, this is WoW. Characters are as OP or weak as needed. Today Kyrestia almost gets one-shot by Devos. Tomorrow, she flies into the Maw with a Valkyrie armada and nearly one-shots the Jailer so we get to fight a weakened version of him to have a chance. Basically, it’s whatever the Devs want or think is cool at the time.

1 Like

I feel like the four covenants are more or less split into two: Within the Night Fae and the Venthyr large parts of the overall power of the covenant rests on single persons in the form of the Winter Queen or Denathrius. While within the Kyrians and especially in Maldraxxus the power is more evenly split among the ranks. Like within the Night Fae there’s not really an equivalent to a paragon or a hand. Sure, you have the large glowing bear for example, but still.

The Kyrians have Kyrestia, the Paragons, two hands for each paragon and many, many lower ranking ones. And even then the average kyrian is pretty often shown to be more than a match for nearly all other covenants. Kleia herself for example, a freshly ascended one, easily wipes the floor with several Venthyr during the campaign. Meanwhile Xandria defeats Margrave Ghamal on her own. (You cannot actually attack him…her…the thing during the battle, and you simply deal with extra minions.)

4 Likes

Imagine you are an ageless goddess-like angel smurf for a moment. You’re so old that the last time you actually had a challenging fight, most planets weren’t formed yet. So old that the last time there was an invasion to your realm, even the oldest civilizations were still gushing over what a good idea fire was. You’re surrounded by people who have earned your trust over thousands of years, whom you’ve nurtured and watched grow into powerful beings that are second only to you when it comes to might. Every possible threat in history has been dealt with before you can even hear about it, and your realm itself is home almost exclusively to beings who are reliable and trustworthy.

Then all of a sudden one of those people you trusted, raised up to power, and named the paragon, the absolute peak of loyalty… goes disaster goth and yeets a spear made of the few things that can hurt you at your chest.

You’d be taken by surprise too.

1 Like

She’s fighting Devos and several of Devos’ lieutenants by herself for the 20 minutes it takes your party to get to her and that 3/4 health drop is indicative of that fight having taken place and Devos wearing her down.

At the end of the campaign, it’s you + your soulbinds + Uther vs. Lysonia, and like… 12+ ascended Forsworn vs. Kyrestia, and she’s completely unharmed after fighting all of them.

1 Like

I cackled.

I have a question for you. How much do we find out about Uther’s situation within the campaign? I’d like to do the Kyrian on site character but I’m wondering if I should wait for the patch. The continuing story seems interesting, even if Devos is killed way too soon.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, we encounter Uther in three of the chapters with his involvement with the Forsworn.

The other situation remains that he still has trouble with his memories.