Known Issue with Transferring Deceased Characters

This issue was resolved with a hotfix that was implemented during weekly maintenance on Tuesday, August 29.

We have a bug on Hardcore realms where some characters are not able to be deleted or transfer off the realm after their unfortunate demise, ostensibly due to mail.

We’ve been working on it, and we’ve come to the conclusion that it might take some time to resolve.

Thank you for your patience.

8 Likes

I’ve given some consideration to what might happen to my own personal accounts, and mail and I realized that perhaps that’s one reason credit cards have expiry dates.

Anyway, I suppose some sort of deadman’s switch that gets triggered on character death and either returns or deletes all mail from a character’s account might be appropriate.

Good luck with finding a reasonable solution :+1:

2 Likes

Can you give n estimate and not just “some time”. Like a few hours? A few days since it is now Friday? A few weeks? Like what is “some time”?

2 Likes

I am guessing that “some time” means they don’t have a clue how to get the spaghetti code to work to fix the mail issue. Normally when you have mail preventing deletion or xfer the only way to resolve it was to have CS manually delete it.

2 Likes

It’s maybe not just about spaghetti code. Say they were to give you access to your mail if you die. Does that mean you can send your gold to someone else too? Items?

People would find a way to exploit depending on the solution

But… that’s something that should have been thought of before going live.

3 Likes

All they need to do is have the mail return to the sender if you die.

2 Likes

They generally don’t like to do that because if it runs beyond the guesstimate people get angry.

I’m glad it is an acknowledged issue and that they are working on it. It’s not onerous for me to have a character hang on in ghost form for a while. I get some may not have roster space or want to wait to return mail so I do empathize.

Thanks for the notice, Kaivax.

1 Like

Soon™

Kaivax, is there any way we can get posts like these stickied until they’re resolved?

Please and thank you.

4 Likes

Lmao funniest quote I’ve read all day.

Inconclusive conclusions sounds like a Jeopardy category! LOL

4 Likes

Please fix this I want to try again after my character died but keep my name!

1 Like

Guessing this is causing the issue I have had. I’ve had 2 toons die and could not figure out how to move them. One option sends to GY where spirit healer mocks you. The other kicks back to creation screen. No move option that I can see. Neither had any mail in their box. wound up just deleting both. Next one, I do want to move. Hope it’s resolved by then.

Is there an update on this? Cant the mail just be deleted?

To move your char to another realm you have to hit the SHOP button on char roster screen and chose the Free Char Transfer Option and then follow the instructions. It is not real clear and took me a bit to figure it out the first time too.

1 Like

Anyone have any luck with a support ticket on this? I opened one but couldn’t even find the appropriate category, closest I could get was “appeal name change.” I’m thinking if they can’t delete maybe they just change my dead character’s name so I can use the name again.

Yes can you at least free up the name of the character in transfer, or let us cancel and delete - or give an ETA

Mine just completed, ty! (just that the AH mail I had was… lost)

1 Like

How did you fix? With a free transfer?

yes, I was worried when I saw the mail icon after death, but it completed. I did, but do not recommend, “delete character” too, which hung and after I killed my client, it come back to say my char transfer was happening, probably just a timing coincidence

I just got mine fixed with a ticket under “appeal name change.” Make sure you explain that you died on a hardcore server and can’t delete/transfer because you can’t delete your mail. -The GM’s solution for fixing the issue was deleting the mail. I was able to delete/transfer the character afterwards.

Took about 24 hours total, may be quicker now that it’s during normal office hours.