Killing the wounded

Careful some people are into that. Might be biting off more than you can chew with that one

Considering who wrote something and when irrelevant is a very one dimensional way of looking at any story or literature. And pretty dismissive, and intentionally so.

1 Like

Usually.

But it’s much less of an issue when the enemy army is employing necromancy and you have magic that can port prisoners back home with varied degrees of fuss. (I’m going with “very little” for the sake of my argument, because people just seem to show up and port things around all willy nilly.)

I mean, if you can fully incinerate an enemy to ash, that might work too. But it tends to be a little more involved than just setting them on fire.

In regards to something set in a completely different and totally fictional universe with completely different societies and even factors that don’t exist in the real world, it’s not at all “dismissive” or “one dimensional” to consider a treaty that didn’t factor these things in it “irrelevant”. It’s being rational. Magic changes everything.

2 Likes

I mean, you’re entitled to your own headcanon, but there’s nothing in official lore to suggest that killing wounded soldiers is considered fine and lawful because of magic.

1 Like

I fundamentally disagree with the idea that a writer can construct a setting that is completely, one-hundred-percent divorced from their times and upbringing.

6 Likes

Especially when that writer has factored in numerous pop culture references.

5 Likes

It, literally, is not my dude.

1 Like

Oh, I getcha. You’re arguing from the in setting perspective. That such laws don’t exist within the WoW universe and that actions should be seen (not judged) in their in setting context.

the other peoples here are asking why that context is the way it is. the Why. why has blizz made its setting in such a way that such as quest is, at worst, morally grey rather than the crime it is IRL.

its cause they think thats what players want, and i dont think theyre wrong in that there call. this thread was started by horde players commenting on it, and later it was stated that the quest is mirrored. they commented cause the story has told them it was wrong, i mean otherwise people would have commented on the other quests like this,

cause God knows i cant go 20 minutes without finding some fresh new “faction pride hoorah war crimes are funny” quest to annoy me

ah well, this games pvp is totally tubular

2 Likes

Yeah, it absolutely is. Expecting a world that has factors that completely change the way war works like magic to exactly parallel real world war ethics is completely insane.

1 Like

As I have explained several times in this thread, magical healing means a wounded enemy combatant is not out of the battle. He is still an active threat. Thus finishing them off is a smart move.

1 Like

Even assuming this was specifically true, and it’s not, that does not also “magically” deflect from the reality that precedent exists that brings into question what is and is not ethical in even this game’s definition of war.

Which is still wholeheartedly and irrelevant to the reality that you’re ignoring basic truth in suggesting that WoW as a setting as well as a piece of media is for literally no reason exempt from comparing to the real world counterpieces that write and shape it.

You mean sort of like looking at a thing made by real-life humans for an audience of real-life humans and expecting them to not filter that thing through the context of their culture?

yeah makes sense

in lore as there isnt law saying no, which makes it ok for ya, the relativist arguement is a thingy. I think that orc dude made an in lore counter tho. thats actually a fun nerd rabbit hole to go down. Like for example, with mass rez, what would be the rules, if any. surrounding things like hors de combat and the like

thats not really the argument the im talking about. There is the other argument, the meta one. Namely they made this more or less correct, even if there could be in lore counter arguments that have not been made in said lore. I think they did this cause they folk would like it, cause they do.

they put it in so people could do their role play, it’s the genre of the game. people could play their moral characters and click their tongue at it, or they could revel and enjoy a dark aspect and then make numbered lists of how their characters would "dismantle or “integrate” the other faction after a win (that will never come lol)

the context of their culture comment is more a comment on blizz writing and player reaction then it is then on any in lore thing, at least, I think that’s what they’re saying

As far as I know, the only wounded soldiers you can kill are Orcs and Humans. In which case, what’s the big deal? We’ve got plenty of those.

2 Likes

Umm, I’ve given a solid reason. Repeatedly. No one’s bothering to address it.

1 Like

What?

/10.

Magical healing. I guarantee you that if there was a way to return wounded troops almost instantly to the battlefield in the real world, attitudes on killing the wounded would change FAST. Magic is a huge factor, and real world war ethics were not developed taking it into account.

2 Likes

Okay, but again, the idea that healing magic has changed attitudes in Azeroth about killing wounded soldiers is just your headcanon.

No fictional work, no matter how divorced from reality it is, exists in a vacuum. It is the product of its creator(s) experiences, understanding, values and how they want to communicate these to others of similar/different backgrounds in order to tell the kind of story they want to tell. That’s why some stories don’t age well and others become more popular decades after release.

That said, I don’t think WoW is tonally too far out of line with how many spectacle laden modern comics, films, and other fictional works treat conflict- which is to say that the tone is generally so over the top that it’s not going to get bogged down with the real world legality of noble heroics or ruthless villainy.

2 Likes