Kick should not be a talent

Can’t see how this is going to be a good thing or even a choice for players. Going to have people forced to take it cause others won’t want to take it. Since some people will want a different talent over an interrupt.

42 Likes

This isn’t a terrible thing for organized content and pugs don’t kick even when it isn’t a talent so no loss there.

7 Likes

Kicks should be baseline.

They need to hurry up and flesh out these new talent trees so we can see what builds we can run.

39 Likes

Hey people wanted the ability to make horrible builds.
Sooo now people can just not go get an interrupt.

9 Likes

Even MMA fighters have to know how to kick properly so yes Sir, KICK IS A TALENT.

1 Like

It’s nearly impossible to not take the kick for Death Knights. I presume most melee DPS will have the same look in their trees. The kick is only going to be “optional” for hybrid specs I would imagine. And maybe even not for all hybrids - Shaman will probably have Wind Shear somewhere pretty accessible, the same way that every single Druid in the game will have Soothe because its pretty much mandatory.

Yeah, I’m pretty hyped to see some of the other trees TBH.

1 Like

Although I agree, I also don’t think this makes a good counter-argument.

Is “I didn’t pick that talent” ever going to be a good excuse for not participating in mechanics?

2 Likes

Anyone not picking it in content where it is necessary is already not using it even with it baseline because they are bad.

Non-issue to be worried about, imho.

8 Likes

:+1:

Seriously.

When I run a +25, I don’t look at people’s talents. I just assume that if they’re doing content at this level, they want to succeed at the content, and they’re making intelligent choices to try to succeed.

Micro-managing other players is simply not something you do at this level of the game.

If you don’t want to micro-manage other players, the best thing you can do is “git gud” yourself and progress to more challenging content.

7 Likes

Yall know that those talent tree previews were placeholders to give a visual of how many options you could have, right

Like…They’re not the talent trees. At all.

1 Like

Perhaps I need to better understand what situations you want to sacrifice an interrupt for a point of something else?

They’re not placeholders. That’s the real deal my dude. The only thing placeholder are very specific talent names.

A raid fight where your healers don’t need to be kicking stuff?

9 Likes

Raid encounters that don’t need an interrupt from everyone.

Sentenza beat me this time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Considering we will be able to have dif builds and change on the fly, you just have one build you want, and one when others won’t choose interrupts.

And having the option to drop it entirely (as opposed to that slot in the tree being a small buff of some other kind) feels meaningful to you?

Some functionality is better than no functionality.

Raid fights aren’t perfect for this type of choice because there is a mathematically correct way to play most raid bosses, but for keys this type of tree is quite cool because risk vs reward and safe strats vs fast strats is part of the gameplay for the vast majority of players. Keys aren’t just always about the optimal strategy - heck if you look at keys in a number of cases “sub-optimal” strategies are the norm because they’re low-skill / low-risk strategies that work on lower keys because most players just want to time their little jimmy keys and aren’t trying to get the fastest/best times on every key. This is a choice players are making. And with this kick, you can say “Okay, I want to take this kick at the expense of X Y or Z, making it safer for my group, but maybe losing out on a bit of DPS” and that’s a choice you have to think about.

1 Like

Its possible that there will be less stuff thats super important to kick in df so a group only having 1 or 2 may be fine. Just spitballing but maybe we’ll have more things we can interrupt by dealing enough damage fast enough, more of these casts are dodgeable, or we’ll have various other ways to deal with em.

Even in a fight that has no interrupts, I would hate to not have one in my toolkit. Should not be a talent, agreed

2 Likes

God I hope not. That’s ACTUALLY the nightmare scenario. Kicks are one of the few proper skill/strategy checks left in the game.

I’m just hoping the Druid tree is the way it is because currently only Bear/Cat have skull bash so they wanted to make it out of the way for Resto and Boomie. Because as mentioned, its not optional for DK for all intents and purposes and I would presume that most melee DPS trees look the same.

1 Like