Kel’Thuzad

With his phylactery afk since WotLK meaning lore wise he is most likely still alive somewhere. Is Shadowlands finally the time he shows his face once again? Has he been scheming somewhere hidden this entire time? Does Blizzard even remember he exists?

Honestly though, he was an incredibly successful villain in his days of prominence (and easily one of my favorites) and could easily make a very good patch boss in Shadowlands. Maybe introduce us to a small new area like Nazjatar or the Isle of Thunder and have it all lead up to him in a raid. He could also have some interesting dialogue with many lore characters.

1 Like

Doubtful.

Likely.

Doubtful.

I’d like him to make a return but I fear Blizzard wouldn’t handle it well at all.

:cactus:

The only reason I thought he could is because Shadowlands has the death/lich king/afterlife feel to it so it just seemed like the best time for him to come back. I feel like blizzard wouldn’t need to stretch his return out in some dumb way to make it plausible as much with Shadowlands.

Considering all xpacs since WotLK have had either Legion or Old God themes to them Shadowlands seems like the best bet for him to make an appearance since his last appearance in Nax.

Data-mining confirmed that Kel’Thuzad is in Maldraxxus.

1 Like

So that would make him “dead” then?

Shrug Not sure.

Chronicle Volume 3 mentioned that it was rumored his soul was lost to the Shadowlands after his defeat in Wrath. So it’s currently unknown if the rumor was true and that’s why hes present or if his phylactery found and destroyed off screen and he was sent the normal way.

If he was lost to the Shadowlands it does raise questions about his phylactery. Like if he’s beaten in the Shadowlands would he be gone for good like other souls or could his phylactery return him to Azeroth at some point in the future?

2 Likes

In between regenerations yes.

Summary

The datamining indicates that we kill him, and since he should be there as a spirit instead of physically, he should be permanently dead.

1 Like

Let’s hope they atleast acknowledge/explain him and give him some time other than “Oh heres a couple quests, bye!”

1 Like

I’m curious if he’ll be regarded as a villain or ally within Maldraxxus.

1 Like

I kind of hope he is there in Maldraxxus and becomes an ally of ours. I like Kel’thuzad. He was an entertainin’ villain and showed this weird display of actual concern and reverence for Arthas that most other members of the Cult didn’t.

Maybe he’ll become a member of the Necrolords and open the way for me to finally get my long desired playable Necromancer class.

Woah, there. He’s a Lich, not a miracle worker.

1 Like

Not doubtful at all, the datamining tells us that Kel’Thuzad is not only in Maldraxxus, but he’s the ultimate boss of the zone’s storyline (or the campaign).

He could very well go the way of the quillboar before launch.

1 Like

Not an equatable situation. The quillboar invasion was a minor part of the zone’s overall storyline that ultimately doesn’t change much - the quillboar remained a threat in Stormsong, and Brennadam was still under attack.

Kel’Thuzad, if datamining shows, is a crucial part of Maldraxxus’s storyline, arguably its major villain in the same way that Denathrius is Revendreth’s. So I think you’re just being willingly and needlessly pessimistic.

As it stands, his presence in Shadowlands is why we haven’t seen him for so long, and now that we’re finally going there, there’s zero reason to see him removed. Kel’Thuzad will be in Shadowlands, and to say its “doubtful” he’ll appear to someone who doesn’t know when we have datamined evidence he will is just reflecting your own pessimism.

:fire: I burned your cactus because you disappoint me.

5 Likes

(Commentary): It’ll be good to see Kel’thuzad again. I hope he gets redeemed and becomes part of Maldraxxus. He got in over his head with the Scourge, but he was quite a loyal servant to the Lich King. Very humble and loyal.

1 Like

I know right? Like, every other member of the Cult of the Damned was in it for the immortality and power. I’ve no doubt that given the chance they’d betray Arthas in a second if it meant they became more powerful. Kel’thuzad, on the other hand, had genuine devotion and loyalty to Arthas… and he loved his cat.

2 Likes

Does anything the devs do make sense, equitable or otherwise?

:+1:

Like I said, needless pessimism. Please come back when you have something of substance.

Cynicism.

Honestly though, I’d rather do a time skip and come out of the Shadowlands to Kel’Thuzad having taken over Azeroth.