Kaldorei Dark Ranger "Mind Control"

I’m aware that this probably won’t end up well, but I have a quick question.

There was speculation that the risen Kaldorei Dark Rangers were "mind controlled". Was that confirmed, or not?

I’mma be kinda mad if they weren’t.

1 Like

No mind control as far as I’m aware, just the vague suggestion that they were abandoned by Elune, and accepted the ‘gift’ for reasons that would become clear later.

10 Likes

Pretty sure they confirmed it already that the undead night elves free willingly joined the horde over their own people.

3 Likes

Nothing like that has been suggested. That is just an assumption made by forum posters. The most likely scenario is that night elves died, were not greeted with the expected future of going to the emerald dream, but instead confronted with the option of eternal damnation in the maw, or accepting the vakyries gift and joining Sylvanas. If that is the case then some actually chose eternal damnation over joining Sylvanas.

6 Likes

The accepting the “gift” is not the problem. The joining the Horde and killing all your loved ones to condem them to eternal suffering is what we hate about it. So if that is the actual reason then I won’t see them as Kaldorei but as the traitors they are and they deserve nothing but to be put down.

33 Likes

So they kill their own people to make them suffer the same fate in eternal damnation? This doesn’t make sense, and it especially doesn’t make sense for them to remain in the Horde even after Sylvanas abandoned them.

I think Blizzard just didn’t want to kill any Horde NPCs in the Darkshore warfront, so they made the Night Elves fight their own people instead.

19 Likes

There’s been significant speculation. But I think they already said this is not the case.

I’m glad to see Blizzard is maintaining the level of quality and polish we’ve come to expect of them!

7 Likes

It was a poorly designed questchain. They left too many details out (if they had planned them in the first place) and too many problems came off as they didn’t see or understand the problems.

And this was after they revised some of it.

8 Likes

You know, with details about Shadowlands, I wonder if Sira and others ended up joining the Horde because their souls were sent to the Maw? It’d certainly feel like Elune betrayed them if, instead of the afterlife they were supposed to have, they wound up in WoW Hell. Honestly, it almost makes sense now, why so many people raised into undeath by Sylvanas join her and the Horde; she is their salvation from Hell.

2 Likes

still doesn’t explain why they would kill their own brothers and sisters and send them to hell.

Really the only way to fix it is mind control, but that ship has sailed when the Undead Night Elves are going to stay with the Horde as hinted in 8.3.

10 Likes

I know it’s not said anywhere or even implied, but maybe they thought they were, ‘saving,’ their living kin somehow. The Val’kyr offered people to be raised, after all. Not all accepted.

TBH I moved on from that long ago. As I said I see them as the traitors they are and I will gladly return them to the afterlife they deserve the first chance I get. They were asked several times to stop and go back to their people but we can clearly see they rather stay with the horde so screw them.
The story Blizzard gave us was really bad but nontheless here we are so we might just accept it and focus on killing those emo traitors.

12 Likes

I like this thought that they saw the Maw, then were like, “we can’t let people go there”. I don’t know… I still feel like expediting their people’s deaths, just so they can be risen, doesn’t make a lot of sense. But, I mean… I’ll be optimistic. That’s a better explanation than we are forsaken…

6 Likes

Your argument assumes they know their fate will be shared by any Night Elves killed. I don’t think they have that information.

1 Like

There’s a lot we don’t know. I’d just like to think going to the Maw might be a reason for their uncharacteristic change of character. It certainly explains why they would feel betrayed by Elune. Killing their own people… that is the harder question to answer. There really wasn’t much to suggest there was a purpose behind it as mildly thought out as, ‘We’re saving them from the Maw.’

Even if that was the case you would think the likes of Sira or Delaryn would ponder why Sylvanas wasn’t raising all the dead Horde soldiers to save them from the Maw.

There are a lot of plot holes. The only thing to me that makes sense is that losing their faith in Elune by being sent to the Maw, was such a devastating event to their psyche that they were easily molded into what they are now.

That, or maybe part of their anima was, ‘harvested,’ in the Maw, the part that would’ve prevented them from fighting their own people? I don’t get too much how the whole anima thing works.

2 Likes

Or the maw was so horrible and the valks told them all they had to do was fight for Sylvanas so they said yes cause they where selfish

1 Like

Yes, that’s also possible, I just didn’t want to say it because it contradicts a lot of what we know about Night Elves as a culture and people.

Bull nelves can be selfish

2 Likes

Blizzard has tried to have their cake and eat it too in regards to Forsaken necromancy. The fantasy genre of the undead army is pretty well worn for a reason. The idea of killing your enemy and then raising their brave dead as fine additions to your army is both scary and cool.

Trouble is, literally out the gate, the Forsaken are shown as all having free will and all needing some time to adjust to their new state of being. Death is a pretty traumatic experience and being brought back from it as the living dead is pretty freaky. Some time is needed for a Forsaken to become capable of anything other than having a panic attack in the corner.

But then,

In Silverpine and EPL you raise undead humans and they pop up a second later as loyal soldiers of the Banshee Queen. This is explained by suggesting the newly risen are extremely cranky and can be goaded into violent action extremely easily. Which fair enough I too want to strangle the next living thing I see when unexpectedly awoken from a deep sleep.

However it is never explained why they’d turn on their former coworkers so quickly when the player - their murderer- is standing right there. So at the very least this has been a consistently odd unaddressed plot hole.

22 Likes