Just timed first 15+ as 206 holy. AMA lmao

Jokes aside, it was rough.
Group’s average 5k per person is what made it possible.

But I gotta say, holy paladins are awesome.

My main is tank and 2nd main is melee dps. Started in 8.3 prepatch BFA more or less, and I did play holy paladin there and at first, I hated the return of Holy Power. But in reality, it’s actually quite good!

For anyone considering playing holy paladin over any other healer, totally worth it.

1 Like

I’m curious, how many dungeons overall did you run on tank and dps, when you started, before you became comfortable with mechanics, and how was your progression in keys? I’m curious, because I’m in the same boat, only pugging, I decided to get +5 achievement to get comfortable with 2 affixes, and then go to maybe +7 to try all 3, or maybe jump straight into +10 to get a feeling of prideful.

I just want to get a feeling of how much dungeons people run on average before they can expect to master them, especially in pugs.

According to RIO addon (timed only):
Bear (KSM) - x35 of 5-9 /// x45 of 10-14 /// x10 of 15+. I quit tanking the second I got KSM.
Rogue (KSM) - x40 of 15+ /// x25 of 10-14 /// x13 of 5-9
This Holy Paladin - x12 of 5-9 /// x23 of 10-14 /// x1 of 15.

(edit: reason for bear having this many of 14’s is cuz I now just do 14’s for weekly vaults)

I joined in 8.3 Summer of 2020, right before SL prepatch. Picked bear to be main. Goal was to basically aim for the top in IO tanking scene. Being pug only, it’s hard. Granted, I am not best player, so I made mistakes quite frequently. But, as tank, I had to learn all the mechanics and routes, learn MDT and how to build routes etc, what group compositions are the strongest per given scenario. Learning the game as tank is probably, by far, the best way to learn everything.

As bear at the start of the xpac, it was “slower” due to gear limitations. With Rogue and Paladin, LFR+Campaign got me to ~190. I would basically run all on 5+ to get IO to display my main KSM and that allowed me to get into 8’s and 9’s.

At around ~200 I would step into 10’s and never go lower than that.

That’s the right way to go imho.

Good indicator of that would be how good are you keeping tank alive, as with prideful, not only you need to keep tank alive, but also everyone else.

The higher you go, the less mistakes people make (generally speaking) due to experience, but mistakes are much more punishing.

So I can just suggest the second you feel like 5-9 is too easy, try to get into 10. 10-12 are roughly the same imho, while 13 and up is where it gets rougher.

A few times of every dungeon. The advantage of pug groups is that a lot players do things differently, aka different tactics, routes, order.

To be really efficient and effective, I think it’s important to know which packs are hard, which mobs hit the hardest and who does aoe or heals.

Then, you will know that pack only has 1 hard hitting ability, so no need to pop CD’s if group goes low, while pack is basically bashing non stop.

1 Like

Well, it’s meta for a reason. I’m gearing this guy right now.

Grats, man. I plan on actually doing some M+ in 9.1, but I’m only shooting for 5, then I’ll see about 10s. Maybe, lol. I just did my first a few weeks ago, and it wasn’t as bad as I made it out on my own mind. I had good DPS, didn’t cause healer problems, didn’t body pull, saved the hunter twice, and tanked the end of the last boss because of tank DC. I haven’t been able to play much lately, as I’ve been working 7 days a week, and spending what little time I can stay awake with my family, lol. Hoping for 9.1.

Did you go Kyrian since you pug so much? I found Venthyr so stressful in pugs.

I am all pugs, but I went with Kyrian for aesthetics and Divine Toll is simply a massive AoE heal + gilmmer + shields.

Venthyr can be stressful even without being in a pug group.

2 Likes