Just Screwed Up My WoD Story Experience

Not sure if that really matters much. Players are constantly getting new abilities as they level up, and with Chromie Time, you can still have a level 12 player along side a level 46 player. The level 46 player will have many more abilities and be much more “powerful” than the level 12 player, yet it still works.

Sure, that part is true. I’m aware that you would get kicked out at level 50, just as they said.

But if this was the case, then why was I still able to talk to Chromie to choose a different expansion at level 48, prior to starting Shadowlands? I guess they knew players would try to get the covenant powers and still use Chromie Time.

It’s whatever at this point. I’m not losing sleep over it. I just really wish they’d give people the option to go back at any point so that we don’t have to deal with any of this mess.

I believe they can make the covenant abilities work. Just lock the abilities at a certain level bracket in PvP or something. It’d be great for PvE content. If they can allow it in party sync, they can make it work the same way for Chromie Time.

Except in warmode. That’s a problem.

Their game plan seems to be to isolate each temporary power to its own expansion unless the power of one is greatly deprecated. There’s no way they want you to be able to level with covenant powers AND the azerite neck and armor for example. You can’t really have it all at other people’s expense; thats some epic level twinking you’re asking for.

Honestly, I’m not concerned about war mode. It is not balanced and never will be, and thus shouldn’t be a consideration when working with PvE related stuff, like Chromie Time.

That’s why I cut xp at 47. Shadowlands intro quest pops at 48 and even if you don’t go to SL you’re cut off from selecting a new timeline at 49.

You may not be concerned about warmode. But devs have a reason not to want to have levelers farmed by high level players in raid gear who are only there to exploit that loophole.

PvP realms failed because minority faction players were less likely to level up and more likely to quit, thus making unplayability inevitable for those who remained.

When I saw that players were removed from chromie time the instant they turned 50, I figured the leveler experience was why. Levelers should only have to be concerned about PvP with other levelers while in Chromie time.

There have actually been threads by entitled wannabe gankers who were upset they couldn’t access Chromie time to gank levelers.

Totally agree with this except, a level 10 can be faced rolled by a level 40. Both still levelers in chromie Time.

Blizz should have made it so WM couldn’t be enabled in CT if that’s the real worry.

You can’t use warmode until you are level 20.

I don’t understand this objection.

In fact, warmode could not be enabled until 20 prior to shadowlands, and it still can’t. However, with the level squish that means it’s now the equivalent of old level 45. I take that as a change that signals they were trying to protect levelers.

Ok and a level 20 can be faced rolled by a level 40 as well.

That’s no excuse for allowing raid geared high level players to farm levelers, which is objectively bad for the game.

If getting “farmed in war mode” is a concern for you, I must reiterate again: War mode is optional and will never be balanced and should NEVER be a balancing issue for PvE. Ever.

Once again agree but nothing is stopping this from happening outside CT right now.

Also with CT, all choosing a timeline does is lock you to that xpac’s dungeons while using dungeon finder. The entire world (except SL, Nazjatar, and Mechagon) is open to you to quest in no matter what timeline you choose. So right now, cut xp at lvl 49, enter WM, and gank away in CT.

So the way I see it PvP, WM, and ganking isn’t the greatest excuse on why CT works as it does now.

:thinking: That doesn’t make sense to me.

Shadowlands starts at level 48 anyway, not 50. As soon as you entered the maw there was no turning back.

We’ve all known it worked like this before it was live.

No reason to rant. All you keep mentioning is the story anyway… you absolutely can go back with your character and read all the things while being strong with your cov abilities.

I do understand your frustration and I feel that CT was rather poorly designed. For example, its odd that Vanilla and Cataclysm are incorporated in the same CT gameplay. So to do vanilla dungeons you have to pick Cata CT. And if you decide not to play through CT, you have no ability to do other dungeons as you level up naturally. So if I decided to say level outside CT from 1 to 50, I couldn’t access BC instances when I got to that level range, and Wrath ones at the next as in the old days. If a player chooses not to use CT you should be able to play the way we used to. Choice really does matter and making fewer choices available is unfortunate, to say the least.

What they should probably do is when a character gets to level 48 they should get a warning message like:

“At this point your character may progress through to Shadowlands. However, once you do this you will be unable to return for any Chromie Time levelling. If you choose not to advance to Shadowlands please lock your experience off before accepting the Shadowlands introductory quest.”

Or something like that. But they will never give players the option to return to pre-shadowlands levelling once they go into the expansion because of the way the game now operates.

2 Likes

That is no reason to make changes to the game to make it even easier you to stalk, harass, and drive levelers from the game.

Levelers are in Chromie time to level. If they are in warmode it’s because they expect the possibility of PvP with other levelers, not so you can prove you are a big man by using your covenant abilities against them.

It appears that Chromie time serves three purposes:

1. It unlocks certain entry quest chains to start some expansions.
  2. It is used to select which dungeons you play.
  3. It scales content to your level irrespective of what expansion you are in.

After you have unlocked zones, your main use of Chromie time is to choose which expansion’s dungeons you want to do today. I think they should find a way for us to enter, leave, and change Chromie time choices without having to travel to our capital city.

So much this.

Now that I think of it, it doesn’t really make much sense to me either why I had to go for the covenant abilities, but it wasn’t so that my character can be OP, which is what I assume you thought I was going for. I had RP reasons.

I think I do have reason to rant. I don’t agree with the current system, and I don’t think we should have to pause XP gains to continue questing in our favorite expansions. At the very least, they should warn players upon reaching level 47 that the next level will kick them out of Chromie Time and offer to pause their XP gains on the spot if they choose to stay there. It’s not the best solution, but it’s something user-friendly.
Also, experiencing the story isn’t just as simple as reading quest text and watching mini scenes. That’s the common argument that people try to make in response to the idea of Chromie leveling at max level: “just go back and play through the expansion, you’ll one-shot everything and it’ll be easy.”
Simply getting the gist of the story is so beside the point, and steamrolling mobs is such a boring experience. Bosses have dynamic dialogue as you bring down their health. If you manage to bring down their health fast enough you’ll skip certain stages of the battle and you’ll never hear them say some of their lines. No matter how unimportant the lines are, I want to hear them.

I wish you could do Chromie Timewalking at any level and fully participate in that expacs end game if you choose. Scale the rewards etc. At the very least be able to do it at level 50 if they don’t want people playing old stuff for scaled up rewards.

1 Like

By bosses you don’t mean raid bosses do you?

Besides that I absolutely agree. There’s a difference between reading quest text and experiencing the questing.

1 Like