Just ordered this computer, help

I just ordered a computer but I might’ve made a mistake. I just read that the AMD processors are kinda the go-to for gaming but mine has an i9-9900kf. It has a RTX 2080 super card though so I figured that I’d be ok.
How much better would the build be with a Ryzen or am I ok?

the 9900kf is superior to ryzen for gaming.

some ryzen’s have very similar performance at lower prices. but the only reason to actually switch would be if you wanted to save money/get more value per dollar, or you had other non-gaming uses for the computer that ryzen is superior at.

2 Likes

Thanks that really calms me down to know that lol. I mainly got it for New World (if it ever releases) but I’m excited to finally be able to run games at max graphics. I should be able to, right?

1 Like

I mean, those parts are just about as high end as high end goes. so if you can’t run a game at max graphics with that then nobody can.

2 Likes

Ok that’s what I was thinking. Thank you so much for easing my worries.

1 Like

I like how you didn’t mention that there’s still an upgrade path with the ryzen build, but the Intel build goes only up to that point

Or mentioned that say the similar chip, the 3900x vs the 9900kf are really just neck to neck

You,

I explained the differences between ryzen and intel adequately. That I didn’t shill for ryzen is not a problem with my description.

Just consider the source, man.

He’s been outright inventing crap people didn’t even say lately. Hes like a bad YouTube clout-chaser making drama so he can frame himself as the victim.

Grabs the Popcorn

Are you sure?

Is 5-10 fps not considered neck to neck?

Are you ignoring the fact that the 3900x is clocked lower but it’s able to keep up a higher clocked Intel chip?

Tell that to the ones who dropped their kaby lakes setup/ryzen 1600/1200 setups for a ryzen 3000 series

Nope none of you get what I am saying

If this was January/December 2019, by all means, the 9900kf is more reasonable

But now we are in mid April, computex is delayed to September sure, 4000 series is expected by fall 2020 after the reveal of the 4000 series

It’s likely the 4000 series ryzen chips are b450 compatibility, more likely x570s will follow

There’s rumors of another 10-15% ipc increase between the 3000 series and 4000 series now (which majority of you didn’t believe Zen 2s IPC improvements till it was confirmed at June’s 2019 event)

If say OP bought a 3700x and the same 2080 super, and the 4000 series are better performance, the option of getting a much better chip by Christmas 2020 is there

There’s also the comet lake chips being hinted end of April launch

I’m not saying the 9900kf is bad, I’m saying there was more to consider of which to buy now and which one has more value at $$$ in the long run

He should be Happy to get a 9900kf, but he should have been told which setup would be more future proof

Ones is stuck at that chip set/cpu

The other has another year of upgradeability

OP has already bought a PC, and wanted to know whether he should switch cpu’s because ryzen performs better in games. the 9900kf performs better in games. to then include an essay about other less important to completely unimportant aspects of this purchase, is not necessary.

2 Likes

That he just bought and the return window is still available should he wanted to change his mind by his own judgement?

Go to your local microcenter and ask the guys which brand lasts longer for your money, I’m 90% sure they will tell you ryzen is due to it’s upgrade path

Old news but still reflects today’s average build

Tell that to the ones who were told to get a 4 core 4 thread kaby lake “because it’s all you need” by some of the people here, and now have to consider to upgrade again because 4 cores 4 threads is starting to become obsolete within it’s 3 year span. Yet Aribeth kept suggesting 6 cores was better and you guys told her no

Griefs, the same night elf who can’t wait to get a rtx 3000 series so he can enjoy ray tracing on WoW at sub 30 fps or even worse

That couldn’t give a straight answer to Aribeth

That thinks upgrading is bad but is ready to go grab next gen rtx when his 1080 ti is still plenty for Shadowlands

Very interesting :thinking:

As you can see from my post count, I don’t post often or contribute to these debates - I just wanted to jump in here quickly in the event it helps you sort through the nonsense. My personal preference is Intel, but I don’t purchase based on preference - I bought AMD 3600’s with 2070’s for myself and my son.

You’re getting very good advice from Yindar and Kag. Don’t be distracted by the poster who jumps into these threads to post pro-AMD messages - some people clearly do not understand the difference between anecdotal and scientific evidence (or personal preference). These posts do nothing to advance the conversation - they only add confusion and often ignore/derail the original intent of the thread. There is nothing wrong with personal preference, it just needs to be recognized as such and not confused with fact.

You ordered one of the best gaming CPU’s that exist (single threaded performance), and if price to performance doesn’t matter to you (i.e. you can afford it) then relax and enjoy it!

In my particular case, it wasn’t a cost issue - I am a casual gamer (only play WoW) and use my computer mostly for work - many windows open, 3 monitors. The ‘bang for the buck’ with the AMD and its multithreading was just too good for me to pass up this particular Black Friday sale (Fact > Preference).

Best of luck to you - hope you love the new rig!

2 Likes

i9’s are pretty beast.