Just dropping in to see if Blizzard came to their senses

Combined sub is both a good thing and the only realistic way blizzard would have done it.

2 Likes

Buck up and add a few more streets to your paper delivery route so you can afford $15 a month.

1 Like

Until they prove that they are not just going to phone in 1.12, until they can outline what versions of things like AV are going to be, until they prove to me that they are not just treating it like a free add on they are tossing at modern wow accounts to stave off bleeding subs, I am not going to be paying $15 a month.

Want my $15 a month for classic? They need to earn it and justify it being the cost of an AAA game sub. Access to modern wow holds no value whatsoever to me, so the $15 is purely for access to classic.

Reheating 14 year old static content is not earning it, especially if they intend to not put effort into doing it right.

You walk into a restaurant for lunch.

“What will you have today?”

“I’d like a Caesar Salad.”

“So you want the Caesar Salad and Grilled Chicken Sandwich combo for $15.”

“No, I won’t eat the sandwich. I just want the Caesar Salad. How much for the salad alone?”

“We don’t sell just the salad. You have to buy the combo. Think of it as getting the sandwich for free.”

“But I don’t want the sandwich.”

“Then throw it away. We don’t care. If you want the salad, you have to pay for the sandwich, too.”

4 Likes

Not a good example at trying to disagree with how the sub base works Joynal.
:smiley:

1 Like

Except that’s exactly how it’s working nd why there should be separate subscriptions for both games. If Blizzard wants to do a bundle deal and let players pay $25 a month for access to both or $15 separately, that’s fine.

1 Like

It’s 15$ a month. Period. If you never bought BFA…it doesn’t matter. You still get to play Classic.
And almost every restaurant I’ve ate out at, they have a sign(much like Blizz has in the ToS) that states they can refuse service to anyone. IE: they run their business how they see fit. Not bending over to anyone’s demands if they so choose.

1 Like

$15 a minth, easily affordable. However handing it for no extra cost to players of an entirely different game can and will cause server pop and community issues at release, and the fact that they don’t care about that tells me that they truly do not care for classic or those who would come back specifically to play it. But they are entirely happy to charge those people the same amount for far less effort.

They are already going to compromise the release days via sharding to compensate the potential huge number of modern players who are going to poke their noses in, inflate servers and then leave a vacuum mere days (if not hours) later. Completely ignoring how important server startup is in regard to forming community.

I just don’t get why people who have a problem with the structure of the subscription don’t conceptualise it as being a case of paying a $15.00 subscription for either Retail or Classic WoW, and you get the other version included free of charge (minus expansion costs in the case of Retail).

Know this - Blizzard will know for sure which game you’re spending your time playing. I’d be sure this is measured internally, as it will guide their future game development direction by knowing what their existing customers are consuming.

If you’re a gamer, what do you care about earnings reports? I’d rather care about the quality of the game, the people I’m playing it with, and the community I can help build within it.

Not saying they can’t refuse service. Trying to point out that you lose customers when you ask them to pay for items they don’t want.

The new or returning customer isn’t going to care that the price of the sandwich has been $15 dollars for several years and that the salad is being added on at no additional charge. They’re just going to see they’ve being asked to pay for something they don’t want instead of being offered an ala carte option at a lesser price.

That’s not a good way to get customers.

Now you could argue that the WoW subscription could be seen as an all you can eat buffet price but then I have to wonder why all the other Blizzard games aren’t also included on the buffet menu. They all require separate fees because they’re separate games. Like it or not, Classic is a separate game and likewise should have a separate fee.

1 Like

Because while paying $15 a month for a fully supported AAA game with ongoing development is quite a bit different from 14 year old static content, and should be priced differently. As I stated above, $15 for a month of entertainment is reasonable but the content you are getting being relative to the cost is important. That is before getting into how damaged release will be by opening it up to two separate type of gamers (one who will be getting access to it for no additional cost than they have been paying, the other having to pay $15 a month for the specific content that stands to be ruined.)

The integrity of classic is at risk by the combo sub. Costs aside.

2 Likes

That’s ok, Blizzard has a solution for that too. Latest expac comes with an insta current level button.

other than the fact that a large portion of returning players, are ONLY returning for classic. that, combined with forcing a combined sub to retail- creates deceptive sub numbers.

forcing people to sub to one game, for access to another and then using that as a claim that “it was a huge success”, is fallacy.

the FACT is, that if the subs were separate- classic would have FAR more subs than retail. consumer choice decides. and we cant allow that.

2 Likes

Blizzard has stated, and it should be highly obvious, they have metrics tracking that will should which game is being played.

If you believe Blizzard will knowing mislead the playerbase. They don’t need to use subscription numbers to do that.

and i wonder how the most hated expansion pack to date, won the choice award?

hmm.

Do you have some kind of proof on your “most hated” claim? Or are you biased?

Hmm.

1 Like

Except Blizzard doesn’t report sub numbers anymore. Are they going to deceive us with numbers they don’t tell us about?

Even their MAU/DAU stat they report is for EVERY Blizzard game including Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, Starcraft, Diablo, and Hearthstone. In this case, it doesn’t matter if the subs are combined or not.

The only metric is internal, and they have ways to tell if everybody is playing Classic. If they’re going to be so delusional as to ignore that, then having a separate sub wouldn’t change anything because they would ignore that too.

and I’d love to see the evidence that shows “classic will have far more players” is objective fact. Preferably real evidence and not “I want it to be true, so it’s fact” =P

4 Likes

When making classic servers, the question is always “how long will it last?”

When they’re a combined sub, the answer is always “as long as current WoW,” because content droughts will bring people to classic to play around a while.

It’s not an unreasonable stance to take, even to the detriment of “real” classic players. How long would it last if they didn’t tie the subs together? If they don’t know if it’s sort-term, or long-term, they’re not going to do it.

In the end, it’s better, even for classic players, to have more players in the pool. and this kills two birds with one stone. People will have a philosophical indifference to the idea, but if you haven’t noticed, hateful commentary is filling pretty much every crack of the Internet that’s not already filled with [inappropriate content].

Live it, love it, or don’t. There are a lot of game companies out there and those that are on the right track need to be funded.

1 Like

No, it really and truly does not. Individual servers do not have a whit to do with total sub numbers. All they will feel is severe ebb and flow when content droughts occur in modern wow, which is damaging to server population and community of individual servers. Classic is being done no favors by being abused in such a way by a completely separate (for all intents and purposes) game’s playerbase.

If the goal was to give modern wow players a “taste” of classic to see if it might draw them in, it could have been done the exact same way that it has been done up till this point with wow: trial account periods. It did not need to be tossed at them like a pet battle free add-on to dabble with when they get bored.

1 Like

This is post 100.