Jumping the Shark

The classes are a hot mess, and the only issue they’ve acknowledged is that they may have “pruned too many abilities”.

Nothing short of an extensive rehaul is going to fix what they broke in Legion. Unpruning abilities isn’t going to magically solve things.

I really don’t think they even know whats wrong still. Or they do, but don’t want yo fix them because that would mean putting in some effort.

People may have called Ghostcrawler a lot of things, but you could’ve never called him lazy. Ion is a completely different story.

4 Likes

eye twitch Bad grammar…

I’m a Star Wars fan as well. Have been since I was 5. I still have a Yoda lamp I got for my 7th birthday. Trust me, I get it about seeing the stories you love get crapped on by people who either don’t know how to tell the story or don’t understand what came before.

I wasn’t talking about the story though. Coming from WoD, the game play itself has gotten muddled. Classes need fixing, leveling to max takes a long time even with bonuses, back to back AP grinds (although the first round was actually not bad because of the weapons. Better design IMO).

Shadowlands is a chance at a soft reset for a lot of mess.

I’m hoping they are taking some real opportunities to fix some things people have been complaining about. So far, it looks like it’s heading in the right direction.

I’m willing to give them time to fix some issues.

3 Likes

A typo, actually, but thank you for catching it. I fixed it.

Gameplay wise, WoW has suffered immensely and there was a brief window where I enjoyed myself in Legion (despite the AP grind, that sucked). There is always the chance to fix it, but this is the story board and the fine details of that are not appropriate here.

Story wise, well, sea of crap and trust has to be earned. I have no reason to trust them.

Factions wars have been crap since Cata. Shadowlands isn’t a faction war. MoP was a mostly original idea. Shadowlands is a mostly original idea. I’m willing to give it a shot.

1 Like

At least with MoP we had the AvH story as a B plot in Cata, so it was a natural story progression to have it as the main focus for MoP. And it remained as the main focus as it was the cause for most of the B plots in the expansion. However with BFA it came out of nowhere. Like at first the reason why the horde attack Teldrassil is “we gotta act first before they do”, but now it is “I need more souls fed to my new master because Danuser wants me to be his waifu”. It is getting annoying how blizzard can’t even use foreshadowing correctly any more. Subverting expectations for the sake of subverting expectations is bad writing. GoT season 8 did it, The last Jedi did it and they got slammed hard. But this current writing team views them as shakespear. Blizzard logic:

“BFA is a faction conflict story, not an old god story”.

Honestly I can’t wait for the next faction war “focused” expansion that will turn out even worse than BFA. I wonder who they would use as the villian this time around.

2 Likes

“BFA is a faction conflict story, not an old god story”.

That was just Blizz’s EXTREMELY clumsy attempt at subterfuge. Three of the raids are Old God focused, at least two leveling zones as well, and several dungeons. The Horde leveling experience revolves pretty heavily around Old Gods over all (Zul being a servant of Ghuun, working to free him).

The real crime is that N’zoth is (apparently) getting swept under the rug in a single patch.

6 Likes

That moment when you realize that a minion of N’zoth got to be the primary antagonist of a whole expansion, meanwhile N’zoth is the secondary antagonist in what should’ve been his own.

N’zoth: Finally free after all this… oh i’m dead.

7 Likes

Ten unironic years of hype just for it all to be snuffed out in a patch that’s already been entirely overshadowed by the expansion that will succeed it.

5 Likes

The success of The Mandalorian could almost certainly be attributed to the fact that the two primary forces behind it, from the early conceptualization stages straight through the final edit, are arguably more well-read and well-apprised of the setting (i.e. the story) than even the most die-hard fans of Star Wars.

These guys (Dave Filoni, Jon Favreau) know more about the Star Wars franchise than most anybody, and it shows in their work(s).

Meanwhile, all we’ve got is Ion Hozzikostas. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

RIP Pre Vizsla

The Mandalorian is good, but it has very little to do with its faithfulness to pre-established canon.

For all the familiar stuff the Mandalorian has, it also has its fair share of retcons and stuff made up whole cloth, with no established precedence in Star Wars canon. IG-11, Blurgs, Jawa clans and Sandcrawlers on Arvala-7, the idea that Mandalorians keep their faces concealed (even the children in the enclave), etc. There’s also all kinds of little questions like how the Mythrol could measure seasons since his last evacuation while in space/off world, how tracking fobs manage to track targets you’ve never encountered before, and also the fact that Han Solo freezing is not a standard means of detaining bounties. That application of carbonite freezers was an an experimental one devised by Vader, and intended for Luke Skywalker. Which is the whole reason why he tested it on Han Solo first- they weren’t even sure if it could work without killing someone.

I’m sure even more pedantic nerds than I could find additional stuff if they really wanted to dig.

George Lucas, after all, knew the canon setting and Mandalorian lore even better than anyone else. He made it up. He’s also the one who decided Boba and Jango weren’t actually Mandalorians, that Fall-of-the Republic era Mandalorians were a peaceful and pacifist society, blah blah blah. All canon stuff that happened, but not necessarily good.

What The Mandalorian does have down is the spirit of the Star Wars franchise that people originally fell in love with. It’s got the mood, themes, aesthetics, story, appealing characters, and other elements.

4 Likes

No, can’t conquer the Horde for the same reason you can’t conquer the Alliance, the side has to be playable.

You could, however, make the Horde into an impotent annoyance to the Alliance next time they attack.

Ever seen “Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon” season 2? Because they could make the Horde attacking Arathi/Ashenvale/Wetlands/Gilneas look like Ares’ army attacking Orario. Yeah it’s a mild concern but most people don’t even notice and the aggressors get humiliated without even being destroyed in the rout.

Not the best outcome, but good lord I am tired of getting attacked by the Horde.

This is a far superior was of wording what I intended to convey – those two individuals understand what the fans of the franchise are looking for, because they’re fans themselves.

As far as I can tell, Ion’s interest in this game is purely clinical.

3 Likes

Trust me, Alliance players don’t feel like we won this at all. This entire expansion was us getting stomped in the face and then throwing away opportunities to actually do something about it.

2 Likes

This point is kinda funny, since in the 2008 Clones wars series. There is an episode where the main gang get frozen in carbonite in order to enter a prison undetected, including Anakin. So he should know that it would work.

But you could then say that the carbonite freezer that was on cloud city was of a crude make-up, unlike the one used during the clone wars.

Try Cataclysm. We could also go as far back as Vanilla where the Night elves and Forsaken joining factions was jumping the shark.

I thought the pacifist Mandalorians came from Karen Traviss? Was never into the old EU much, but that’s what I’ve heard, anyway. I figured the Clone Wars version was trying to explain the difference between the way they appeared in her books and the way they appeared in pretty much every other piece of source material.

i would like to know what is exactly what these dumb writters had in mind when they wrote… this.

For what i can see they are extremely proud of it probably thinking “old soldier fixed everything” “the horde is redeemed” “the alliance is fine with this outcome”
“the nelfs had their revenge”

i don’t get it. Sure, they actually can write cool stuff like literally everything that isn’t faction war. but why they fail so hard on stuff like faction conflict and what the hell are they thinking when they say that the cycle is broken for the 5th time.

there is any way to confront them about their dumb story decisions?

1 Like

They screen the questions during BlizzCon Q&As now, so I don’t think there is anymore.