Jaina and Varian

I’m not saying make it happen in lore or whatever. My only question is why has no one ever talked about them together? I have looked for years online and can find almost no trace of them being shipped together. You can find people shipping Jaina with Thrall, Kael, Kalec, and Arthas, and you can ships for Anduin with Taelia, Wrathion, and spacegoats. Google Varian and Jaina together and there is almost no fanart of them, and nothing romantic at all. Am I the only one who wanted to see Jaina and Varian together?

P.S. I really don’t see Tiffin and Varian as true love soulmates. Their’s was an arranged marriage between noble houses that ended with them warming up to eachother, not in love.

Varian had a wife he loved who he had a kid with who he loved even more, he also seemed like the kind of guy that would stay by her side in life and death. He also had a lot bigger issues on his plate throughout life.

Jaina was a mess because Arthas, so her love life wasn’t really meant to be open I don’t think. Other than the weird thing with Kalec.

To me they both just seem like the type who had both loved and lost and weren’t planning on ever having a serious love again. They also seem like the type that wouldn’t let another relationship distract them from doing what they could to help the Alliance/Azeroth.

Also blizzard is horrible at writing relationships for WoW. Remember that Thrall and Agra wedding…

13 Likes

Because it was painfully obvious that Arthas and Jaina were THE thing, and by the time Varian was introduced or re-introduced, it was after he had a kid, whom he loved deeply, from a wife whom he also loved deeply.

The fanbase basically saw it as two people pining for two very dead people and not having eyes for anyone else. They also barely interacted with each other in a way I would consider shipping worthy.

4 Likes

Varian and Jaina share common taste in dragons and not actual humans.

2 Likes

Don’t forget Sylvanas. Jaina/Sylvanas is a HUGE pairing right now, which I guess might be a surprise to some people. It sounds like an unorthodox pairing but trust me, it’s some good stuff. :ok_hand:

I have a few theories for why Jaina/Varian isn’t all that popular:

1. The larger age gap. Varian isn’t a thousand-year-old immortal or anything, he’s a dad. Granted, this is a weaker explanation, as Jaina has to be at least 35 by now, but she’s still portrayed as a younger woman which can exaggerate the age gap. God forbid Blizzard put a single wrinkle on any female character younger than 55. :roll_eyes:

2. There’s already a bunch of big gruff guys in Jaina’s life who actually did have a close, if not romantic relationship with her at some point in the canon. Varian just doesn’t have the same angst potential of Arthas or Thrall OR the mystical allure of Kael’thas or Kalec. (Or the combination of both in Sylvanas, PLUS that beautiful rivalry dynamic. Sylvaina ftw.)

3. Varian just isn’t that popular as a shippable character. M/M is among the most popular categories in shipping by far, seeing as the bulk of shipping content is produced by straight women, but Varian doesn’t have any close relationships that especially appeal to anything new. The most popular ship I’ve seen with him is Veleera/Varian, but that ship doesn’t appeal to women as much, so most of the content for that ship is just…r34.

These are just my thoughts, I welcome other theories. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

P.S. Tiffin/Rock is way better tbh.

I mean they were like Friends but not really lovers. That ship could have happened in the lore but it’s already too late.

But it is still a thing in Heroes of the Storm through. Just not in WoW.

Cause Golden doesn’t like Masculine characters so she would never write her character… i mean jaina as falling for one. So instead she had her fall for a mythical dragon who is got less balls than jaina does.

Basically any masculine male character in the story has a bad time when it comes to romance.

1 Like

Yeah, I just don’t buy it, but that’s my opinion.

I am convinced of two theories about Anduin’s parentage.

One, he is Arthas’ (and maybe Jaina’s) son. There are many youtube videos about this, but the jist of it is that he has no mental or physical similarities with Varian and the ability to use the Light does not run in the Wrynn line.

Two, my own theory, is that the House of Nobles arranged Varian and Tiffin’s marriage in a hasty manner, because she was pregnant out of wedlock. The Ellerians get to cover up their shame and become royalty and the Nobles get a HUGE favor from them. Varian has no idea.

Side note, Varian has brown hair and blue eyes. Tiffin has blonde hair and brown eyes. It is an impossibility that Andy has blonde hair and blue eyes. He should have brown hair or brown eyes, just saying.

Anyway, I’ve looked tirelessly for some quality Jaina and Varian fanart. Anything really, them fighting together, romantic, etc. Can anybody tell/link me anything? Nothing raunchy now mind you. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No snark intended, but it’s gonna come across like that regardless.

Why is it whenever there’s a male character and a female character of relatively similar age (IE: Neither are very old or very young comparatively), people gotta ship them? Jaina had a boy in her dragon guy. Varian went from married to captured (admittedly there’s a time gap there) to king at war to king at peace as a new batch of aliens invade the world to king at OMFG DEMONS to dead in only a few years in-game. He didn’t even have time for courtship.

Meanwhile for half of that, Jaina was ruling her own small kingdom across the ocean. When that went… Ahem. When those duties were “freed up”, she went from mourning to mourning while taking Dalaran for herself which I didn’t think she could legally do but she kinda did anyway to mourning while aliens are invading the world to mourning while OMFG DEMONS to Varian’s dead and now she’s mourning him too. All joking asside, she lost a lot of people. She had every right to be mourning for a couple years.

Still not sure how she took a whole Dalaran for herself tho. Dalarans are not easy things to take without asking.

All commentary contained within this post are exaggerated for comedy. Do not read this post if you are suffering shortness of temper. Please consult with your doctor to determine if this post is right for you.

3 Likes

Since when did real world genealogy apply to the humans of Azeroth, who are technically not the same “humans” of earth. For all we know the curse of flesh makes certain traits not recessive/allows a larger variety of genetic traits to be passed down.

4 Likes

Leaving aside the fact that real world genetics don’t apply to Azeroth this isn’t correct.

Assuming that brown hair and eyes are dominant over blonde hair and blue eyes, assume that Varian had heterogeneous genes for hair (brown and blonde) which would give him brown hair. Also his eye color genes were homogeneous blue giving him blue eyes.

Tiffin had homogeneous genes for blonde hair and and heterogeneous (brown and blue) genes for eye color making her a brown eyed blonde.

Anduin inherits the recessive genes from each parent - blonde hair and blue eyes from Varian and blonde hair and blue eyes from Tiffin, making him a blue eyed blonde.

9 Likes

And I think everyone can agree that Anduin being Arthas’ son would be too much.

3 Likes

In the initial maw storyline I noticed Anduin looking a LOT more like a blond, unscarred Varian than he ever did before, so it’s looking like he just had to go through puberty (and took his time at it).

And recessive traits are a thing re: the genetics stuff you said. Unless you want to go back to the strategy games’ official art and prove that Varian’s parents couldn’t have possibly had blue eyes… shrug

Oh, and ability to use the Light (or any magic) doesn’t really run in families anyway, does it? (If it’s supposed to, there goes my paladin’s backstory…)

Not saying those fan theories are sunk, but what you’ve presented as the evidence doesn’t pan out (anymore), really.

If I could like this post twice, I would. :rofl:

3 Likes

Unless Anduin was conceived in vitro, Anduin cannot possibly be Arthas’ son without time travel being involved. We know this from the Arthas novel. Arthas visited with Varian and met the infant Anduin over a year before Arthas first engaged in sexual intercourse.

3 Likes

No one no matter what the matchup is really can be said to have a “good time”. Sure, Shaw and Fiarwind got ONE single date between them, and even that was a mess up horror show.

1 Like

If we could all collectively have amnesia about Jaina screwing a dragon, that’d be great.

1 Like

I’d say Varian and Jaina never happened because the two had mutual respect for one another.

The love of Jaina’s life was Arthas, a man Varian had lived with for several years, who might have even been something of a brother to him. It’d have been a betrayal of the memory of Arthas to pursue any romantic interest in Jaina Proudmoore, whom Arthas did love and want to marry. That’s to say nothing of what he might’ve imagined Jaina would’ve felt if he had tried.

The love of Varian’s life was Tiffin, and her death was perhaps the single most traumatic event in his life. He lost his kingdom, he lost his father, but he didn’t break until he lost his beloved wife. Jaina, knowing the pain of losing a loved one, probably had no interest in pursuing a relationship with Varian out of respect for Tiffin. Likewise, it might’ve also felt like a betrayal to the memory of Arthas, to pursue a relationship with a man whom had possibly been like a brother to him.

In a nutshell, both knew the pain of losing true love, and the memory of Arthas stood between them.

Granted, even if it hadn’t, I’m not sure the two would’ve ended up together anyways. They just don’t seem particularly compatible.

1 Like

Don’t remind me :roll_eyes: I’m still disappointed the stupid mawsworn didn’t grab Aggra when they yanked Thrall. It would’ve been a great opportunity to kill her off >_>

1 Like

It was a dragon in a sexy male half-elven body.

1 Like

https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/840108-kalecgos.jpg
:nauseated_face:

6 Likes