I've hit a wall

So i’ve come back to WoW after leaving for quite some time. I’ve been enjoying my time back greatly.

• I’ve maxed out at 120 on a couple classes on both Horde and Alliance as well as playing on different servers.
  • Unlocked all Allied Races on Alliance (3 left to do on Horde)
  • I can fly in all zones
  • I have plenty of 'mogs and mounts
  • I have ran normal/heroic/timewalking dungeons as well as LFR.
    At this point getting much more out of my ilvl is going to rely on RNG with emissaries and LFR. So I thought hey…maybe it’s time I’ll finally get to try some Mythics! I was extremely excited.

Mythic dungeons are one thing I would absolutely love to do. In fact, they sound better than hours and hours of raiding lol.

With that being said, I have tried to stay away from tanking dungeons as I don’t feel confident enough. Some people I’ve come across since coming back are amazingly toxic in just a normal dungeon setting, and seem to forget we’re all new players at some point. I shudder to imagine making even a single mistake in a Mythic. The toxicity alone has left me wary of tanking or even healing dungeons. I’ve been sticking to DPS strictly.

So here is my issue; It doesn’t matter how many mythic 0’s I try. I even tried several that said “Laid back” or “gearing alts come have fun”. I always get denied. My DK has an ilvl of 438 and was under the impression that is plenty for Mythic 0. My BM hunter is around 420 iirc.

What am I doing wrong? What do I need to type in the comments section when signing up for a mythic 0? (I just put my ilvl and class/spec but end up getting denied almost instantly every time). I’ve tried close to 30-40 times to sign up for a mythic 0.

Once you get to a certain point in WoW there seems to be a wall that says unless you have friends you shall not pass. And I’m shy. I have not made any. I am however, eager to learn. Thus getting denied time after time is quite disheartening. Is there a daily or weekly cap on the amount of times you can run a Mythic 0? I would understand having issues if signing up for a higher keyed dungeon but I cannot seem to figure out why I am getting denied on a 0.

Thanks for any advice!!

You probably aren’t doing anything wrong, it’s just a numbers problem. As there are more dps looking for groups than slots open, groups get lots of applicants for damage. So, even through they don’t need someone with a higher ilvl, if such a person applies, they’ll get favored. As the screen of applicants fills up, it’s just easiest to go with the highest numbers.

You can try starting your own group. As a dps, it could take a while to find a tank and healer, though. You also may want to see if you can find a relaxed guild with a focus on 5 man content. Finding regular people to play with is your best protection against toxicity.

2 Likes

Thanks. Maybe I will roll a healer or respec my DK to blood.

I’ll also check recruitment forums for a guild.
I have been invited into so many guilds but they dont even say anything. They just invite me lol.

Yeh the guilds that just do broadscale invites are usually not great guilds. You can also use the in game guild finder (which is new and improved) and see whether there are any guilds advertising that look like they might be a good fit for you. It can take some time to find a guild that suits so don’t be afraid to leave and try again.

To echo what Sarakatawen said, I have a horde alt that needed a guild and I found it in the in-game Guild Finder. It’s a mythic raiding guild, but they accept nonraiders and players who just want an environment with other active players. Using the Guild Finder and joining this random guild was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made in this game.

Forming your own groups can also work really well. You mention queuing up for groups that list as “laid back” or “gearing alts,” and you could definitely do the same. If you create your own group and communicate in the description that it’s a learning group you might create a great setting that allows you to learn how to tank or heal since you’ll get players queuing up who know it’s a laid back/ learning group.

1 Like

I’d suggest overcoming your aversion to tanking. Practice in Normal and Heroic dungeons. Create a chat tab with no channels at all in it, so you won’t see the negativity; get used to treating the damage dealers as NPCs.

Once you feel competent at tanking - you know how to use your tanking abilities and you are familiar with the dungeons - you can apply to Mythic dungeon groups where you can actually improve your gear, and you will usually be accepted.

Thanks all for the input! I’ve found an amazing guild on my server and had my first day of mythics capping out at 7! Even transferred my DK over to that same server!

It really is a different game when you get into a great guild! My confidence has already grown alot!

Thanks again everyone for the advice! And Liana, i’ll be taking your advice and practicing! I’ve wanted to tank AND heal for quite some time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t understand why you’d get denied 30-40 times. I’m an iLvl 444 Shadow Priest and I don’t have too much trouble doing M+4/M+5. The only thing I might think would make people uneasy about letting you in is because stating your class and ilvl in the description when you apply for a group tells them that you’ve never made a group before. If you had, you’d know that they can see this information about all applicants. So this might lead them to think that you’re going to have absolutely no idea what you’re doing in the dungeon. I’d be willing to bet 1,000 gold that you start getting invited to groups for M+2/M+3 if you leave the application description blank and just select your preferred spec. Just be sure to read the adventure guide for the dungeon you’re applying for so you know your role, and have an understanding of the Mythic affixes or dungeon modifiers or whatever they call them.

I can also relate to your point about toxicity, and fake casual groups. It’s not nice, but I’ve come to expect to be abused by someone at least once per group activity, or multiple times usually. Usually for failing to do one interrupt correctly or not being able to read the mind of the tank as they run around like they’re trying to break a world record without communicating their plan and then getting aggressive towards everyone else for pulling an extra mob they didn’t want. Usually this happens in areas where enemies patrol. I had one group last week that had the rogue shroud the group, which was fine, but then the rogue and a bunch of the others ran off on their mounts without saying we should mount, leaving me exposed to pull every single mob in the area. Then they just left me there and abused me when I tried to tell them that they didn’t really explain their plan. But trying to weed out that kind of nonsense is trying to weed out unpleasant traits from the general population. Probably not possible. Unless you’re always doing premade groups with friends or your guildies, you’re going to encounter these situations that make you wish you weren’t paying a subscription fee just to be made to feel useless.

But if you’re looking for more friends send me an in-game mail. I take a more caring and educational approach to groups I’m in. I’m really interested in the meta and how to do high level content well, but to me it’s far more important to simply teach others how to do that or work it out together than it is to chastise them for not knowing, since that doesn’t actually achieve anything.